• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    The New England Journal of Medicine revealed that keeping a gun in the home increases the risk of both suicide and homicide.

Really?....I'm pretty sure if your that unstable your gonna kill yourself regardless. Does this mean that rope, medicine, and belts are going to MAKE YOU kill yourself???

A gun is a very expediant way to kill ones self, no doubt. And since there are more guns than people in the US, it would stand to reason that guns would be used to administer such behavior on a more regular basis.

The real question (to the honest anti-gunner) should be whether or not the suicide rate in the US is any higher or lower compared to nations where citizens have limited access to guns. Of course, once you start comparing nations you'll have a lot of apples and oranges issues - health, wealth, age, disease, tyranny, customs, drug use, hope, liberty, etc., so it more reenforces the idea that statistics mean nothing when comparing guns to suicide in the US, and explains why anti-gun people tend to avoid those kinds of questions.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's really amazing how lucky I've been all of my life. For the past 50 years I have lived in many houses that had guns in them, I have known many people that have lived in houses with guns in them. The number is probably in the thousands, the number of people I have know in life that were within close proximity to a gun. Yet. . . .I can't think of a single instance when any one I know used a gun to commit any type of crime, violent act, suicide, etc. Of course if the O.P. read it on the internet then it must be true! Right Al?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    A gun is a very expediant way to kill ones self, no doubt. And since there are more guns than people in the US, it would stand to reason that guns would be used to administer such behavior on a more regular basis.

The real question (to the honest anti-gunner) should be whether or not the suicide rate in the US is any higher or lower compared to nations where citizens have limited access to guns. Of course, once you start comparing nations you'll have a lot of apples and oranges issues - health, wealth, age, disease, tyranny, customs, drug use, hope, liberty, etc., so it more reenforces the idea that statistics mean nothing when comparing guns to suicide in the US, and explains why anti-gun people tend to avoid those kinds of questions.

Exactly. Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

The key component that is always missing from the anti argument is the fact that if someone wants to use a gun in a crime, or suicide, the law will not stand in their way. If someone is predisposed to crime or suicide, they will likely commit either with any means available.

People who are suicidal will find a way, with or without a gun. A gun doesn't suddenly MAKE someone suicidal, however, a suicide with a gun will make them a gun statistic.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Japan, with essentially no guns in private hands (I am told it's theoretically possible to get a legal gun there, but the hurdles are such that nobody does), has a suicide rate that's higher than the combined homicide and suicide rates of the United States.

Since suicide is a form of violent death, that means that a Japanese person, in Japan, is more likely to die by violence than an American in the United States.

You never see that fact on the anti-gun sites.

Top Bottom