• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I just found this over on Olegs forum (THR) and thought it was certainly worthy of sharing here. Anchor Distributors - Extended Product Information

Here is a blurb from the link:
    With My Rifle by My Side is a story written for young children to encourage an appreciation and respect for appropriate firearm use. It is a charming children’s story written in verse that reclaims American values through the perspective of a young boy. The boy enjoys sharing in the experience of hunting with his Dad and sister. He also learns about gun safety as he learns how to shoot his own rifle. After taking part in their outdoor activities, the boy’s family learns about our nation’s history as they visit American monuments. The boy begins to understand the solemn necessity of firearms as they pertain to America’s foundation and the preservation of our liberty. He hears stories that inspire the boy to do his part to preserve American freedom, to protect his family, and to carry on the legacy of the nation’s founders. With My Rifle by My Side is a book with colorful illustrations and a delightful story that renews the spirit of American liberty and honor.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My son has an old book called "The Long Rifle" written years ago, I read it as a kid great book, sorta history, find a copy for your kids!

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a book called "The Bears of Blue River" by Charles Major. It takes place in Indiana around the time of statehood, I believe. It is a great story, written at a level for about 10 yr olds. It has an outdoor theme, and is part of the reason I started shooting muzzleloaders as a kid.

hoosierjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I have a friend who is a fellow gun owning, meat-eating conservative give my children a book called "The Matchlock Gun". I think that is out of print. It's about a pioneer boy who uses an old matchlock to defend his family's homestead from a group of raiding Indians. Nowadays, you would probably have a difficult time publishing a children's story like that given all of the political correctness of our time.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have a book called "The Bears of Blue River" by Charles Major. It takes place in Indiana around the time of statehood, I believe. It is a great story, written at a level for about 10 yr olds. It has an outdoor theme, and is part of the reason I started shooting muzzleloaders as a kid.

Supposed to have taken place in Shelby County/Shelbyville. At least that is what everyone around here says, lol....

Stnmikita

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I have a friend who is a fellow gun owning, meat-eating conservative give my children a book called "The Matchlock Gun". I think that is out of print. It's about a pioneer boy who uses an old matchlock to defend his family's homestead from a group of raiding Indians. Nowadays, you would probably have a difficult time publishing a children's story like that given all of the political correctness of our time.

LOVED this book as a kid. Might be time to start stocking the shelves for my own little ones. And you're right HoosierJohn, much like the movie Blazing Saddles, this could probably NEVER be made today.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009

I still have that book too. One of my favorites when I was a kid.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I remember seeing a book at my local rural king, it was pro-gun and pro-hunting. I think the name of it was something like my first deer. I should of bought it when I saw it, when I went back they were sold out and I haven't seen it there since.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    I bought a copy of "With My Rifle By My Side" for my 10 y/o daughter, and it came in yesterday. The publisher information on the Amazon site claims the reading level to be 9-12y/o. Having suffered through some of the poor grammar and deplorable sentence structure that many INGO members utilize, the publisher's assessment may be appropriate. However, if your child is literate, they will find the simplistic language and 26 point font a little below their ability. What my daughter did enjoy, though, was the page of gun safety tips at the back of the book.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The publisher information on the Amazon site claims the reading level to be 9-12y/o.
    Ya, you have to take that with a grain of salt, much like movie ratings. I haven't seen the book but assume the age they deem appropriate is due to the topic and politics surrounding it, not the actual reading level? I'm just happy to see a publisher that will take a chance.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the info....I have a couple of granyung'ins (how's that for butchering the english language?:)) the right age. I have been working with them when I get a chance to see them and they love to read...great idea!!!

Top Bottom