• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I'm a new gun owner and I'm thankful I have the right as an American to exercise my 2ed amendment right. When I bought my Glock 26 I got an NRA pamphlet that came along with it. I haven't heard anything good or bad personally about the NRA. No one has mentioned joining prior to buying the handgun. Is this worth joining or will they just suck up my hard earned cash?

There are some organizations out there just for your money. Though I would be more then happy to support a organization that will protect 2ed amendment rights. I do like the benefits such as the magazine, firearms insurance and hotel discounts. Just wanted some feed back. No one has mentioned anything about any pro-gun organization to me and I'm quite surprised...

Are you an NRA member? Why or why not?

If not an NRA member, are you a member of any other pro-gun organization? Why did you choose this organization rather then the NRA?

Do you recommend becoming an NRA member? Why or why not?

Please enlighten me!

Thanks, Gulley

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Life Member NRA here. I don't always agree with everything, but they are the strongest voice we have. About 4 million members last I heard. Of course the other 80 million gun owners complain about them. Just like anything else these days, a few percent carry the load and the majority just look out for themselves and complain. I also support Gun Owners of America, mostly for the news letters and info on mail in campaigns. JPFO is a good organization if you lean that way. There are 10 or twelve hunting organizations that I do not know much about other that I never see them unless they want donations. I think some of them are just "drinking beer with their buddies" clubs.

If you are an American Patriot, and want to preserve the ENTIRE bill of rights, you really need to be involved supporting the 2nd amendment, even if you don't even like personal firearms.

Look around this site for information on the "Appleseed" events. These teach the history of our rights as well as personal rifleman skills. I have not gotten a chance to openly participate, but I am going to as soon as I can get healed up.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    No. Before I get flamed. The NRA has done a lot of good to preserve our 2nd amendment rights. However, there are a lot of things I do not agree with. Enough for me to not support them with my money.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Put me in the mixed blessing group regarding the NRA. I definitely don't agree with everything they do but I am a lifetime member.

One other reason to join the NRA is that there are many NRA-affiliated gun clubs around that require membership in order to join the club. If you're looking for a club you may end up joining the NRA anyway.

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    I've been an NRA member for about three years now. I joined because they are a powerful group that supports gun rights. I, like others, don't agree with everything they say or do, like supporting a politician that is good on gun rights but lousy on other rights. But, overall, I believe that they are a good organization with enough clout to get things done. I am also a member of Gun Owners of America, a younger organization that also does some good for gun owners. I support both of these groups because I believe that our nation is under attack from within by people that don't like our Constitution and want to dismantle it. Once they get our guns, we're toast.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If you only need one reason to join the NRA then let this be it..........the anti-gunners are scared all to hell of them! Yes, as others have said they are not perfect, but then no one is, but join them and any other pro gun organization you can afford to.

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    I am an NRA Life Member and a Gun Owners of America Life Member. The NRA hasn't been perfect over the years and they have made some concessions I don't agree with, but I would hate to think where we would be if they weren't around at all. I always say if EVERY gun owner in america would join the NRA they would not have to cave on anything. That said, If you don't like the NRA, thats fine. But, as a gun owner, you need to find some pro 2A organization to join. If it's not the NRA then make it the GOA. If not the GOA then the JPFO. If not the JPFO then the Pink Pistols. Join SOME organization that is lobbying for your 2A rights!

***SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC***
    Another thing you get with the NRA is some extra firearms insurance. $1000 for an annual member and $2500 for a life. I can speak from experience, they do honor and pay out on these policies with zero hassle. I had a home burglary and lost a number of guns. Enough that my home owners wouldn't cover it all. Called the NRA about the insurance. They sent me some paperwork to fill out. Sent back the paperwork with my home owners claim and police report. Received a check from the NRA three weeks later for $2500. Again NO hassle at all!

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    NRA is the biggest reason we have what we do today as far as gun rights.
    Some people get upset because they ask for money alot, if you don't want to give just throw it away or opt out of the mail.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    NRA and GOA lifemember here. I would recommend you join both and then buy memberships for your family and friends.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You can find something wrong with any organization, but the main reason I am an NRA member is that the government looks at them as the proverbial 800 pound gorilla, and if the NRA scares the government straight, that is enough for me.

They also have a very nice almost monthly magazine!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    And after you have joined the NRA, don't forget to join the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association.

One is National, the other is the local arm of the National.

If you disagree with the NRA or the ISRPA, then join them, get involved, get elected and drag us all where you think we should be.

The other groups that folks like to mention are private groups started by the guy in charge. You think he is going to step down if you want to rise through the ranks? Not hardly.....

Even the NRA top dogs are guys just like you and me. They have no special dispensation or even abilities.....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not sure if I should just get annual membership or save up a bit more and get lifetime membership?

Right now, with a sponsor, you can get a Life membership for $300!

Let me know if you'd like a sponsor.

I'm currently a Patron-Life member. I hope to change that this month to Benefactor-Life Member.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Life member here also. The Harlon Carter years are regrettable. Particularly the 86 Machine gun ban compromise in return for McClure Volkmer. Thank God for Wayne La Pierre. In regard to membership in the NRA we should not let the perfect stand in the way of the good.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Right now, with a sponsor, you can get a Life membership for $300!

Let me know if you'd like a sponsor.

I'm currently a Patron-Life member. I hope to change that this month to Benefactor-Life Member.

What's the difference between Patron and Benefactor?

Top Bottom