• What can (or should) we as gun owners

• Total voters

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    As much as I hate to say it, in the current political environment after Friday's shootings, I think we have to look long and hard about the way we conduct ourselves. There are basically two options we have - let someone else decide our fate by trying to fight everything (and risk losing A LOT if we fail), or take charge of the discussion and work to improve the current system without restriction of our rights. To that end, I've tried to come up some common sense solutions that do nothing to further restrict our rights, but hopefully demonstrate that we gun owners can police ourselves and DON'T need additional government restriction. You can pick more than one, if you select other, please explain your idea.

Only trying to foster discussion, not advocating ANY kind of control of firearms or what you can buy, more of what we can do ourselves to prevent firearms from getting into the hands of someone who would slaughter the innocent.

BTW, by access control plan, I mean proof of possession of the items, not an onsite inspection.

Last edited:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The problem isn't that a crazy can become armed. The problem is that so many people go about their days unarmed & that we pile our most precious possessions, our children, into huge, unguarded facilities, thinking that unicorn farts & happy thoughts will keep them safe.

The solution to this problem isn't to hope we can magically restrict access to the tools. If it wasn't guns, it could have been a fertilizer bomb, fire, poison, etc. At least when it IS guns, there's the opportunity to equalize force. I can't fight back against a massive explosion...

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    We should repeal the gun free schools act, make open carry legal without a permit nationally, and destroy any attempt at a new assault weapons ban

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    We should repeal the gun free schools act, make open carry legal without a permit nationally, and destroy any attempt at a new assault weapons ban

Exactly! We need to take charge of the discussion with facts, and we need to be fighting for removing gun free zones. This would be an action that specifically strengthens the safety of our nation and our children.

This tragedy can be used one of two ways, to restrict or to strengthen gun rights. The facts supporting the strengthening of our gun rights are on our side. It's a battle of perception, and we can win the arguments if we can be heard.

While I don't think that offering more options to people engaging in private sales to know who they are selling to is a bad thing, I don't think that's going to be the right answer to offer more safety in any real way.

Last edited:

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Exactly! We need to take charge of the discussion with facts, and we need to be fighting for removing gun free zones. This would be an action that specifically strengthens the safety of our nation and our children.

This tragedy can be used one of two ways, to restrict or to strengthen gun rights. The facts supporting the strengthening of our gun rights are on our side. It's a battle of perception, and we can win the arguments if we can be heard.

While I don't think that offering more options to people engaging in private sales to know who they are selling to, I don't think that's going to be the right answer to offer more safety in any real way.

That's going to be the trick right there. There is no time for calm rational discussion in the mainstream media when advertising dollars are at stake, especially with something like this. I haven't heard squat about the guy who confronted the Portland shooter in the national news, and every time I've tried to post the article in replies on Facebook (I posted on my own wall), my posts have been censored. People don't want to listen right now, they want action, whatever it is.

Also, the reason I put the background option checks into the options is you know that they will absolutely go after the "gun show loophole." Might be a way to alleviate some of the concerns from the left while at the same time maintaining the ability to freely trade. I would certainly appreciate being able to verify eligibility (without providing ANY other information, just a yes/no answer) of an individual before selling them a gun I own.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom