Probably a Dumb Question, But I've Always Wondered...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Is there any law against openly carrying? I always have went the concealed route but I could see deterrence resulting from openly carrying. If it's too dumb a question I apologize, but hey, I've always wondered.

Thanks

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    In honor of this thread. I'm gonna share an acronym from another forum. EFDIS = Every Frickin'(or your favorite alternate) Day I Swear.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Is there any law against openly carrying? I always have went the concealed route but I could see deterrence resulting from openly carrying. If it's too dumb a question I apologize, but hey, I've always wondered.

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all, just a common one around here. As ATM already succinctly pointed out, there is no law against openly carrying in Indiana.

If you've ever wondered about why people would want to OC, perhaps you thought about trying it yourself but weren't really sure, you might find these threads helpful.

These are the threads I normally point to but there have been many:

Lots of topical discussion in these threads; a recent one and an older one:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/11237-why_i_open_carry.html

And here's one attempting to capture the most common threadjacks on this topic of all time:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/37307-common_oc_cc_threadjack.html

I personally OC or CC depending on what I will be doing/where I'll be, preferring to OC if I can, but I certainly don't think less of people who CC everywhere. Better to CC than to NC! (Not carry) If you're worried about a getting hassled for it, know that it *can* happen, and it has to a few INGOers, but mostly there aren't problems. Check out this thread for more stories of nothing "interesting" happening to OC'ers.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elf_defense/34140-where_did_you_oc_today.html

And I already welcomed you in your "hi" thread, but let me say it again; Welcome to INGO! We're glad you're here asking questions and getting involved. :ingo:

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    One thing I think of when thinking of OCing, instead of deterring a criminal, you might be making his choice of the first target. ;)

Welcome to the site! Lots of good people here (with a prick sprinkled in here and there.....)

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    One thing I think of when thinking of OCing, instead of deterring a criminal, you might be making his choice of the first target. ;)

You might also cause him to decide to go be a criminal elsewhere. Most criminals are opportunistic animals, and do not want a fight of any kind. Most also do not want to have to shoot or kill anyone as they do realize that murder will put them away a lot longer.

Unless you're talking about "lunatic shooting rampages", in which case, sure, you've got a problem.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    As long as you have your LTCH you can carry however you would like. The ongoing OC/CC argument on here irritates the hell out me. Just carry, how is up to you. I'm a huge OC proponent, I'm also a huge CC proponent. I do both depending on a number of factors.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    As long as you have your LTCH you can carry however you would like. The ongoing OC/CC argument on here irritates the hell out me. Just carry, how is up to you. I'm a huge OC proponent, I'm also a huge CC proponent. I do both depending on a number of factors.

Repped
    Just carry it
    Get some training , practice , and carry however you want.

Welcome by the way:ingo:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

+1

CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Not a dumb question at all, just a common one around here. As ATM already succinctly pointed out, there is no law against openly carrying in Indiana.

If you've ever wondered about why people would want to OC, perhaps you thought about trying it yourself but weren't really sure, you might find these threads helpful.

I personally OC or CC depending on what I will be doing/where I'll be, preferring to OC if I can, but I certainly don't think less of people who CC everywhere. Better to CC than to NC! (Not carry) If you're worried about a getting hassled for it, know that it *can* happen, and it has to a few INGOers, but mostly there aren't problems. Check out this thread for more stories of nothing "interesting" happening to OC'ers.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elf_defense/34140-where_did_you_oc_today.html

And I already welcomed you in your "hi" thread, but let me say it again; Welcome to INGO! We're glad you're here asking questions and getting involved. :ingo:

That's kind of what I figured as far as the circumstances and where you are going to be at the time as for whether to oc or cc, I was just always worried about being hassled which would be very frustrating. But such is life. Thanks for the help and response definitely.

CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010

Thanks for the response and help, I really appreciate it. The only reason I asked this was because like you said, I figured I would choose either way depending on where I'm at and what the situation is. But I was always just worried about being hassled which would be very frustrating. But such is life. Thanks for the help.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Welcome to the site! Lots of good people here (with a prick sprinkled in here and there.....)

:rolleyes:

At least it got to post #5 before the anti-OC arguments began.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Bow that the OP has his answer the mods should lock this thread before it turns into the inevitable :popcorn:

Top Bottom