Probate for an estate......anyone know how it works??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    As many of you know my daughter passed away about a year ago. We filed a paper called a small claims affidavit in order to close her business dealings and bank accounts.....but it was under $50,000.

Now we have something that came up where we need to actually have the courts do a probate to make my wife administrator, I guess is what its called? I have an attorney in Marion County and he said he will file it, even though it is not his specialty, nor what I hired him for. But I got to thinking if this is something easily done......would I be better off to do it for him in Hendricks County?

WHat does Probate even mean?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If the estate is small enough, you may be able to file a small estate affidavit. Much cheaper, think hundreds rather than thousands in legal fees, and simpler than probate. I have a trust attorney in Spencer that I used for our estate planning as well as settling both of my parent's estates that I'm very happy with. PM me if you want his contact info.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If the estate is small enough, you may be able to file a small estate affidavit. Much cheaper, think hundreds rather than thousands in legal fees, and simpler than probate. I have a trust attorney in Spencer that I used for our estate planning as well as settling both of my parent's estates that I'm very happy with. PM me if you want his contact info.
    We did the small estate affidavit last year, since estate was under $50,000......but now we need to file as if it were above $50K. The estate has been settled for 8-9 months now though. I do appreciate your input and offer to help. I may just let my attorney learn to do probate.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Had an attorney file probate for my mother in 2020. Cost about 4 grand which I understand is pretty standard. Had Brauman Moore & Harvey in Brownsburg handle it. We have had them handle several other issues as well. I felt they always did a good job. Good luck.

Top Bottom