• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunguy56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    northeast indiana
    Back in April I turned my revolver over to a gunsmith (he has a shop) for a minor repair (cylinder latch release was worn out), he has not completed the work as of today. He said big problem getting parts. The gun is a Charter Arms Police Bulldog 38 Spl. He had me pay $75 up front to tear the gun down and diagnose the problem. I have a bad feeling this guy is lame. Stopped in his shop last week, asked about the progress on the gun, he showed me the gun disassembled in a ziplock bag, he said still waiting on your part. Feedback from others that have knowledge of him say he is a "crook".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have purchased parts directly from Charter Arms several times in the past. They are nice folks and shipped my order out within the week. I would call Charter and see if the parts are available. If the parts are available you can draw your own conclussions.

gunguy56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    northeast indiana
    Called Charter Arms, they said no problem getting the parts. Get your gun back and send to them and they will fix and inspect. So going to get my gun and send it to them.

gunguy56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    northeast indiana
    Thanks Leo, yep the people at Charter Arms are very helpful. I thought I'd give this young guy a try, but the more I find out about his "business", well, just gonna get my gun back and deal with Charter. Lesson learned.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Thanks Leo, yep the people at Charter Arms are very helpful. I thought I'd give this young guy a try, but the more I find out about his "business", well, just gonna get my gun back and deal with Charter. Lesson learned.

Similar situation... A friend of mine drops his motorcycle off to his friends son. He went to school as a motorcycle mechanic. Kid says yea no problem. He tears it apart and waiting on parts... Waiting... Waiting... Waiting... 2 years later we are talking about it and he says he thinks the kid has lost interest. He picks it up and brings it to me... Everyone thinks I can fix anything. Crap the kid took is all apart. From the wheels, hand grips, carburetor, engine, clutch. Boxes and bags of loose parts. Well with ebay and a repair manual I got it back together. Lots of stuff missing. Just little pieces here and there gone. Well it now runs and kicks ass.

At least you learned who not to go back to.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I just got my .357 Pug back from Charter in perfect working order. The hammer locked up when the pin moved to far into the frame for some reason. Turn around time was 12 days. No charge. I was not the original owner of the gun. Good luck!
    Called Charter Arms, they said no problem getting the parts. Get your gun back and send to them and they will fix and inspect. So going to get my gun and send it to them.

gunguy56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    northeast indiana
    Picked up my gun. Beware of Cedar Creek Guns, Garrett, IN. I will now send it back to Charter Arms. They said send it to them and they will fix it and check it out. They were very nice and helpful on the phone.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    charter has a lifetime waranty on all new guns, older guns not made at the new plant are a different story, i sent in a 70's era undercover and they charged 49.95 to inspect, clean, and test fire it, all in all we (it was my dads gun) it was 80.00(49.95 plus parts) plus shipping,now my dad didnt listen to me, he took it to fed ex/kinkos, and paid 80.00 for shipping, they told him it had to go overnight, i told him to ship it 2day, but what do i know, i just ship fed ex everyday(my company wont allow me to bring it into work for shipping)

so he's into this gun
    100.00 for the gun
    80.00 for repair
    80.00 for shipping
    260.00 total, but its in great shape

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Hate to hear you had a bad experience with a gunsmith. Charter Arms has good CS, IMHO. I ordered some grips from them and it was fast shipping and exactly what I wanted. I'm sure they can get you back up and running.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    ,now my dad didnt listen to me, he took it to fed ex/kinkos, and paid 80.00 for shipping, they told him it had to go overnight, i told him to ship it 2day, but what do i know, i just ship fed ex everyday(my company wont allow me to bring it into work for shipping)

They were right. Fedex policy is that all handguns MUST be sent via overnight. It's their policy. Unfortunatley, Fedex/UPS have the same policy and they are the only game in town. It would behoove you to take it to an FFL and have them ship it. FYI, FFL's may send firearms (including handguns) USPS, and therefore completely bypass the overnight restrictions of Fedex/UPS.

gunguy56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    northeast indiana
    Got my Police Bulldog back from Charter Arms in one week ! Fantastic customer service ! (lesson learned, call the manufacturer first) Have not shot it yet, but will very soon !

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Got my Police Bulldog back from Charter Arms in one week ! Fantastic customer service ! (lesson learned, call the manufacturer first) Have not shot it yet, but will very soon !

Did they fix it for free? Or did you have to pay them for the repair? What about shipping? Did they send you a label or did you pay for shipping?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom