• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    A couple of days ago my wife was getting ready to go to work (about 5:45 AM) and heard a commotion out in the side yard. She went out to see what was going on and found a coyote menacing the neighbor's cat and its kittens. When she attempted to shoo it off, it advanced, teeth bared and snarling, on her instead of leaving.

By the time I'd made it downstairs in response to her call, it had left our yard and I wasn't able to locate it on a quick look-see in the immediate area.

Calls to the local Humane Society and Animal Control proved to be pretty much a waste of time. Got an answering machine both places. Two days later, the fellow from the HS told me there was nothing they could do about it and AC has yet to respond at all.

There's been scuttlebutt around the neighborhood for a couple of months now about pets, mostly small dogs and a couple of cats, going missing, several from fenced-in yards. I now believe that it's most likely this coyote that's responsible.

As the neighborhood we live in is the middle of town where the lots are small and the houses close together, using any firearm is pretty much out of the question barring an outright attack on a human. IMO, it needs to be dealt with before things could ever come to that point.

I have both a powerful air rifle (RWS 48 in .22) and CCI CB long ammo for my .22 RF's, but would trust neither to dispatch something the size of an adult coyote quickly and decisively, even with a headshot.

I could really use some advice and suggestions on how to resolve this problem without incurring serious legal repercussions in the process.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Put a poison poodle in your back yard.

No, seriously. Try putting some raw meat inside of a large "live trap" (we like to use em for raccoons - works every time). If you catch it, take it out to the country and shoot at will.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    When she attempted to shoo it off, it advanced, teeth bared and snarling, on her instead of leaving.

<snip>

As the neighborhood we live in is the middle of town where the lots are small and the houses close together, using any firearm is pretty much out of the question barring an outright attack on a human.

With "teeth bared and snarling", in my opinion justify dispatching the animal with whatever means possible.

Just my opinion though

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    With "teeth bared and snarling", in my opinion justify dispatching the animal with whatever means possible.

Just my opinion though

I agree. And don't count on animal control for help on this. They're so overworked and understaffed right now it's rediculous. And since the coyote is considered a neusance animal, it should be legal to do what you need to. Of course, keeping your neighbors safe at the same time is the tricky part.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It sounds to me like this coyote MIGHT be rabid...

Baring teeth and snarling at a human? NOT natural behavior for a wild animal that has every avenue of escape from a much larger animal (person).

This needs taken care of ASAP...by almost any means necessary.

I'd be on the horn to animal control AND the local po-po to figure out a solution.

As a side-note, a co-worker of mine has said that his 'hood has recently been plagued by distempter-infected raccoons. Another neighbor will fire up a chain saw and rev it up while a sheriff deputy dispatches said raccoon.

So...you have a chain saw? :D

-J-

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It sounds to me like this coyote MIGHT be rabid...

Baring teeth and snarling at a human? NOT natural behavior for a wild animal that has every avenue of escape from a much larger animal (person).

My thought exactly.

As for means of dispatch... got any bowhunters in the neighborhood?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    AFA1CY: If it'd still been there when I got outside and menaced me as it did my wife, I agree that shooting it with the S&W 4586 I grabbed out of the nightstand when I heard my wife's urgent shout would've been at least justifiable and defensible to the LEOs who would've certainly arrived shortly after. Although I quite possibly would still have faced being charged with "discharging a firearm within the city limits" or the like, I'd rather chance that than sweat blood for a couple of weeks waiting for the results of a rabies test on the coyote.

The problem as I see it is that trying to lure it back with bait, predator calls or the like in order to kill it using a firearm rises at least to the level of "reckless endangerment", a felony and sure to bring a world of hurt down on me and mine. If I had one and was proficient with something like a crossbow... perhaps. But I don't.

jennybird, if I knew of anyone who had a Havahart live trap large enough for an animal averaging almost 4' long (not counting the tail), over 2' high at the shoulder and weighing beween 45 and 55 lbs I'd call them. If you know of anyone who does and would agree to loan it to me, I'd be much obliged to both of you. The largest size Cabela's lists is only 42"x10"x13", which I doubt would handle an adult coyote.

Do you think there's any possibility of getting DNR interested in doing something now, or will it take a couple of dozen complaints and video of the coyote(s) carrying the carcass of someone's Shih Tzu down the street or mauling somebody's toddler first?

Indy_Guy: The thought of rabies has crossed my mind. However, I've read that it isn't unusual for coyotes living in "urban" environments to lose their natural fear of humans, even to the point of chasing bicyclers, attacking small children and stalking folks walking their dogs. As it's highly unusual for coyotes to live and hunt alone, my guess is that there'll likely be a good deal more trouble unless they're provided with some lethal object lessons pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I still think that I'd call the po-po info line or at least stop in and discuss it with someone.

Animal control being unhelpful might very well be just a case of too few folks, too much work. That's the way most of these agencies are forced to operate.

Maybe another call to animal control from the "rabies" angle will trip a trigger (pun intended?)

Perhaps knocking on neighbor's doors and discussing the problem can reach a solution.

Seriously, though, something ain't right with that yote's behavior..used to an urban people-ized environment or not.

-J-

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    AFA1CY: The problem as I see it is that trying to lure it back with bait, predator calls or the like in order to kill it using a firearm rises at least to the level of "reckless endangerment", a felony and sure to bring a world of hurt down on me and mine. If I had one and was proficient with something like a crossbow... perhaps. But I don't.

jennybird, if I knew of anyone who had a Havahart live trap large enough for an animal averaging almost 4' long (not counting the tail), over 2' high at the shoulder and weighing beween 45 and 55 lbs I'd call them. If you know of anyone who does and would agree to loan it to me, I'd be much obliged to both of you. The largest size Cabela's lists is only 42"x10"x13", which I doubt would handle an adult coyote.

Do you think there's any possibility of getting DNR interested in doing something now, or will it take a couple of dozen complaints and video of the coyote(s) carrying the carcass of someone's Shih Tzu down the street or mauling somebody's toddler first?

If the live trap isn't available in a size that would accommodate a coyote, do some searching on other types of traps. I'd venture to guess you're not the first one to have run into this problem and there is quite a variety of options.

As for "reckless endangerment", the animal already comes around on it's own so you're not really luring it. It's taken off with pets and threatened your wife. I would argue that NOT attempting to trap it and simply ignoring the situation would be a better example of reckless endangerment.

I don't have a clue about the DNR's interests. A phone call couldn't hurt though. At the least, they should be able to give you some tips on how to handle it on your own.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have both a powerful air rifle (RWS 48 in .22) and CCI CB long ammo for my .22 RF's, but would trust neither to dispatch something the size of an adult coyote quickly and decisively, even with a headshot.

the 22 will defintally take out a coyote. ive killed 2 with a head shot at roughly 50 yds. i dont know about the air rifle. some of the new ones like the gammo are amazing. i was watching a hunting show and they were taking praire dogs at 100 yds with a gamo whisper and i saw them take a WILD HOG at 20. i was defintally impressed with the hog. i know the air rifles i grew up with had 0 chance against a hog.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    My main concern with using some other type of trap is that our yard isn't fenced and there're folks in the neighborhood who let their pets roam, leash laws and common sense notwithstanding. While I'm not certain of the all the legalities that could be involved if I did set leg hold or other traps on my property, I'm pretty sure that the results of snaring little Fifi or Garfield in one would be unpleasant, acrimonious and expensive for all concerned.

Many years ago I managed a small cattle ranch back in SW MO where I grew up. I know that a HS .22 RF will kill a coyote if it's placed right. I've done it on occasion. But if I was a little bit off, it would get a bit more "interesting" than I like tracking down and finishing a wounded (and very PO'ed) Song Dog, and I usually had to get my 12 ga. or old 336 in .35 Remington outta the truck when that happened. But a CB Long's 20-odd gr. slug at about 600 f/s isn't even in the same ballpark as a 38 gr. HP at 1230 f/s or so, IMO. Ditto a 13-to-17 gr. pellet at around 815 f/s (measured with my CED chronograph) from my RWS M48. Of what I have, those are about my only legally defensible options given where we are.

I believe that I'll be going down to the PD to report the whole mess here directly, as it seems like good advice and decent CYOA just in case.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    My main concern with using some other type of trap is that our yard isn't fenced and there're folks in the neighborhood who let their pets roam, leash laws and common sense notwithstanding. While I'm not certain of the all the legalities that could be involved if I did set leg hold or other traps on my property, I'm pretty sure that the results of snaring little Fifi or Garfield in one would be unpleasant, acrimonious and expensive for all concerned.

Many years ago I managed a small cattle ranch back in SW MO where I grew up. I know that a HS .22 RF will kill a coyote if it's placed right. I've done it on occasion. But if I was a little bit off, it would get a bit more "interesting" than I like tracking down and finishing a wounded (and very PO'ed) Song Dog, and I usually had to get my 12 ga. or old 336 in .35 Remington outta the truck when that happened. But a CB Long's 20-odd gr. slug at about 600 f/s isn't even in the same ballpark as a 38 gr. HP at 1230 f/s or so, IMO. Ditto a 13-to-17 gr. pellet at around 815 f/s (measured with my CED chronograph) from my RWS M48. Of what I have, those are about my only legally defensible options given where we are.

I believe that I'll be going down to the PD to report the whole mess here directly, as it seems like good advice and decent CYOA just in case.

Well, all that does make it a bit more difficult for you doesn't it. Hopefully the PD will have a solution. Let us know what they say.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    contact your district DNR conservation officer. ( game warden)

most city / town animal control does not handle wild animals.

If the game warden instructs you to you can shoot it with in city limits..

I have shot wild animals with in city limits under the direction of the DNR..

the just caled 911 dispatch and gave my address and said " if you get a shots fired call..."

then i had to notify th DNR when I had the carcus ...

as far a baiting & trapping it, state law says you can...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    District 1 Headquarters
    10 Law Enforcement Districts
    9822 N. Turkey Creek Rd.
    Syracuse, IN 46567
    (574) 457-8092
    icodist1@dnr.IN.gov

District 2 Headquarters
    1353 South Governors Drive
    Columbia City, IN 46725-9539
    (260) 244-3720
    icodist2@dnr.IN.gov

District 3 Headquarters
    30 Professional Court Suite 1
    Lafayette, IN 47905
    (765) 447-9582
    icodist3@dnr.IN.gov

District 4 Headquarters
    3734 Mounds Rd.
    Anderson, IN 46017
    (765) 649-1062
    icodist4@dnr.IN.gov

District 5 Headquarters
    1317 W. Lieber Rd., Suite 2
    Cloverdale, IN 46120
    (765) 795-3534
    icodist5@dnr.IN.gov

District 6 Headquarters
    P.O. Box 266
    Nashville, IN 47448-0266
    (812) 988-9761
    icodist6@dnr.IN.gov

District 7 Headquarters
    2310 E. State Road 364
    Winslow, IN 47598
    (812) 789-9538
    icodist7@dnr.IN.gov

District 8 Headquarters
    3084 N. Dillard Rd.
    Birdseye, IN 47513
    (812) 685-2498
    icodist8@dnr.IN.gov

District 9 Headquarters
    11050 Keeler Rd.
    Brookville, IN 47012
    (765) 647-5835
    icodist9@dnr.IN.gov

District 10 Headquarters
    100 W. Water Street
    Michigan City, IN 46360
    (219) 879-5710
    icodist10@dnr.IN.gov

South Region Headquarters
    4850 S. St. Rd. 446
    Bloomington, IN 47401
    (812) 837-9536
    icosr@dnr.IN.gov

North Region Headquarters
    1124 N. Mexico Rd.
    Peru, IN 46970
    (765) 473-9722
    iconr@dnr.IN.gov

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    yeah....another +1 on the whole conservation officer thing. I didn't even think of that; and I don't know why.

They may very well want the head do to some rabies testing. This stuff is tracked.

-J-

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Just my opinion though

This.

Or you can borrow my dog for a couple of days, he's been in need of a new chew toy anyway.

So the people in your neighborhood just let their pets roam around and crap in other people's yards? I believe I'd have set traps before now (with a nice little warning sign).

BTW, if traps are illegal I'm pretty sure putting a bowl of anti-freeze on your back porch isnt.

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Well, I've spent the afternoon running hither and yon and making telephone calls. So far, I'm batting a big, fat zero so far as actual results go.

I went down to the PD and talked with the nice young woman who sits behind the glass in the lobby. I told her the story, and she called somebody in Dispatch, who gave her the number for the district DNR office, which she handed to me. She also gave me the name of the DNR officer assigned to our county, but no phone number or other contact info.

I called DNR. They told me that this sort of problem was referred to private "Nuisance Animal Removal" contractors who, for a fee (which evidently varies considerably from place to place and which I would have to pay) would come and try to trap the coyote. Otherwise, "sorry about your problem and have a nice day". Oh, I forgot! She told me I could also try scattering moth balls around the yard to repel them.

As far as I've been able to find out so far, Lebanon doesn't have an "Animal Control Officer". There isn't any phone listing and nobody I've talked to yet could tell me for sure whether there's any other department who handles the dog catching sort of thing or not.

Joe, nearly all of the folks in my neighborhood are responsible and considerate pet owners. They even carry the little baggies around with them when they walk their dogs along our street (we live on the main drag between the town square and the largest city park) and pick up after them, even though it's not required by law. But there are a few who let their cats outdoors or whose dogs escape from the yard occasionally, and those are the ones I'm concerned about harming. I don't think that signs would help much, as I'm pretty sure that most of them can't read. While we're on the subject, IMO, there's a very special place in Hell reserved for the kind of folks who deliberately poison strays, right next to the one for those who abandon puppies or kittens. That kind of Karma I really don't need.

Anyway, that's pretty much where things stand right now. I think I'd better just pour myself a medium-stout drink and see what comes to me.

Top Bottom