• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNLongShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    Charlestown
    Today, I went out to Deputy Big Shots to zero my two new Vortex Viper PST scopes! I bought the first for my Remington 700 in 300 blackout, and after mounting it and looking through it I knew that I needed to show the same love to my 300 winmag and upgrade the trusty 10x42 SWFA SS on it. Mounted it and started counting down the days till I could get out to the range and get it dialed in.

For starters, the Remington 700 was a full rail/ring swap out, as the old scope was a 1" tube. I went with a game reaper scope mount with a 20 MOA cant to help with shooting subs at distances more than 200 (for the kicks). I used my Wheeler scope mounting kit to check alignment and do a small amount of lapping. Mounted and leveled the scope and it was ready to go. Went to the range and I was able to get it zeroed, and as expected at 100 yards it was below mechanical zero with about 7 Mil of adjustment going down available, giving me plenty of headroom for UP to lob those subs out there.

On to the 300 winmag. Here, I just removed the SWFA and used the same rings and canted rail no modification. I did check alignment real quick and it was good. Set the Viper in, leveled and it was ready to go. Fast-forward to today at the range. I started at 100 to get on paper there and do a final zero at 200. It was extremely HIGH at mechanical zero. I came down and got on paper. I got close and needed to come down 9 more clicks to be in the bull and click, click, click, click....no more clicks! I had hit the bottom! I am perplexed. At the bottom of elevation adjustment I'm still 3 inches high at 100 yards :( Now, granted I want as much headroom as I can get, but something is wrong here and I can't find a problem with the installation. The SWFA still had about 50 clicks to go down in the same rings/rail.

I know that Vortex has a great warranty and good customer service, but before I engage them I thought I'd see if you guys can give me any ideas on what else I can check. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TNLongShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    Charlestown
    Looks like I may have figured it out, and I had some bad info going in. When I looked at the specs on my SWFA I misread it so when I checked elevation adjustment by clicking it all the way up and down it actually has a lot more adjustment than the PST. That explains why the SWFA still had room at the bottom end. Also, I realized I can't compare the adjustment on two different rifles that are different calibers and different mounts. The 300 WM is @ 2950fps, where my 300 BO was at 1950fps. So, I've decided to switch out the base to a 15 MOA cant rail which should give me 14 more clicks, leaving me plenty of up for the long range shooting. I will report back, but I believe that there is not a problem with the scope and I was making several bad assumptions.

Top Bottom