• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Hello. I have a Savage 11/111 BTH (long action 25-06). I purchased a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 scope with Viper medium high rings. I also purchase a EGW 1-piece Picatinny Base for Savage 110 through 116. It installed correctly with no need to bed the base which made me happy. However, the front of the rail sticks out much too far to mount my 12" scope. The bell of the scope rests firmly on the rail. I can't even get the lens cap or sun shade on the scope. With my limited experience, the only solution I see is the have the rail shortened and mill off the last 4 notches of the rail. I really don't want to go to high rings if at all possible. Also, it is set for my best eye relief so I can't slide it forward any more.

P1010061 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You should be able to push the scope forward a couple inch's. I believe if you show a pic of the other side of the scope you will find you have it way to close to your eye.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    You should be able to push the scope forward a couple inch's. I believe if you show a pic of the other side of the scope you will find you have it way to close to your eye.

No, can't do. I wear contacts and I have spent a lot of time with eye relief. If I push it forward, I get scope shadow all over the place. This is as far from the eye as it can be for me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am going to take it to my smith Monday. I don't see any other way. I thought of swapping ends but that won't work either. I guess that Savage's are a ***** to scope.

Not really, I've mounted hundreds of scopes on that exact rifle using EGW base's, and Warne MED rings. I think your shooting with your head cocked back. Most folks shoot with more of a turkey necks so the eye relief push's the scope forward. Try adjusting your shooting forum. Stretch your neck out more.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Not really, I've mounted hundreds of scopes on that exact rifle using EGW base's, and Warne MED rings. I think your shooting with your head cocked back. Most folks shoot with more of a turkey necks so the eye relief push's the scope forward. Try adjusting your shooting forum. Stretch your neck out more.

I've had the rings adjusted all over the base. I've had the scope in and out. I think I shot my bird bath 100 times or more from my garage. If the scope is far enough away to clear the mount, the stock is on my arm, not my shoulder. I forgot to mention that this the the 2nd base I have had on this rifle. The first one was 2 piece Weaver type. The scope would not even fit on this mount. The rings were over the flared part on each end. That is why I went to the Picatinny. Probably most people put longer scopes on this rifle than the Vortex Viper.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I guess I'm not following the stock being on your arm if you push the scope forward part of the comment. I'd like to see a picture of the whole thing too.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wow. That would definitely leave a mark on my eyebrow. Not sure what to tell you beyond saying our shooting forms are very different from one another, or maybe our necks are of very different lengths.

Mine is roughly even with the trigger.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've had the rings adjusted all over the base. I've had the scope in and out. I think I shot my bird bath 100 times or more from my garage. If the scope is far enough away to clear the mount, the stock is on my arm, not my shoulder. I forgot to mention that this the the 2nd base I have had on this rifle. The first one was 2 piece Weaver type. The scope would not even fit on this mount. The rings were over the flared part on each end. That is why I went to the Picatinny. Probably most people put longer scopes on this rifle than the Vortex Viper.

I know it probably sounds like I'm being persistent about this, but a rough estimation would be that I've mounted 30-40 Viper HS 2.5-10's with EGW rails and Warne medium rings on Savage 11's in the last year. Never once having a issue as long as the person had proper shooting forum. I do this for a living, you have the scope to far back.

That scope is very popular for that rifle. If you take it to your smith on Monday he will more than likely tell you to re mount your scope (assuming he is a actual gun smith)

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I should have looked at this pic before posting. This is proof that something is wrong in your forum (assuming your an adult, and not a kid who has a adult size stock). The ocular of the scope should be almost directly above the Bolt.

I am with you! I can see holding that. I read he has it resting on his arm? Should be shouldered. Adjust your purchase on that thing! I can't imagine how you are holding that thing.

modlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I am with you! I can see holding that. I read he has it resting on his arm? Should be shouldered. Adjust your purchase on that thing! I can't imagine how you are holding that thing.

I will try to re adjust my form, but part of the problem may be that I am 71 and my neck is not as supple as you young guys. I just picked up the rifle and tried to get my neck that far forward but I don't think it will go. I have also looked on google images at mounted rifle scopes and it appears to me that the rear end of the scope is approximately under where your right thumb wraps over the stock.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A pic from google images.

View attachment 31242

You can find pics of different scopes mounted all over the on different platforms (case in point, Remington 700/Zeiss conquest). That does not mean they are mounted correctly.

If you want to have the end of your base cut off that's completely up to you, there is no real reason not to. But from a technical standpoint, its not the gun, scope, rings, base, or combination's fault your having to do it. It has nothing to do with people using longer scopes, or Savages being a pain to mount a scope on. It has to do with your shooting preference, and nothing more.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You have to be comfortable with your grip. I understand that. But I thing with practice and adjusting your grip you can mount it more forward. I like my nose almost touching the end of the bolt. Play with your hold. See what you can do.

I used to have my scope back farther. A buddy corrected me and I improved my shooting immensely.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The only thought I have is to ask if you intend to shoot standing or prone and if standing, whether your shoulders are square to the target or bladed off at an angle. I can imagine if you are mounting the rifle while standing and with your shoulders square to the target where that might position your head further back on the stock and it might seem more appropriate to have the scope that far back. Most shoot with their body bladed or angled to the target while standing which will position your head a bit further forward. If you are shooting (or testing) the setup prone I'd need to see photos of you behind the rifle to make an attempt at helping the situation.

That said, if you find that you have no alternative to shortening the rail there is really no need to take it to a smith to have it milled. I've lopped more than a few off as I like my scopes mounted as low as possible and have always gotten it done just fine with a hack saw and files.
    IMG_2984.jpg

While I didn't have to shorten the rail on this rifle I did have to make room for the objective on the forearm, files worked out just fine. If you zoom in you can see how close they are.
    IMG_9035.jpg

Top Bottom