• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I just bought a camo synthetic stock for my Remington 700 30-06 ADL and it will not just “drop in”. The receiver will not get closer than about 1/16 of an inch to seating in the trigger area. I could get my wood clamps out and force it down but I don't know how this will affect the accuracy. I could sand away the material keeping it from seating but that was the whole idea of buying a new synthetic stock was to avoid stock fitting. My trigger guard is just a tad too wide to fit in its inlet also. I want tack-driving accuracy so I want to do this right. Any ideas?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If you want accuracy, you need the barrel to float, and the stock to stiffen up. Most stocks will need a little work to get a proper fit, but shouldn't amount to anything major.

What kind of stock did you buy? What kind of barrel is on your Remington?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If tack driving accuracy is what you want then you should have purchased a mcmillan or manners or mcree's of some sort. a simple plastic stock is not going to get you to "tack driving accuracy" like a composite/fiberglass stock will.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Shave off a little at a time and lots of trial fitting should get your receiver into the stock nice and snug. Use something to show the high spots where it is contacting. For a dark stock use white out or similar, for a light colored stock I use a sharpee or similar.

For scraping, a sharp wood chisel, knife, and razor blade are what I use. A scraping motion works best. You don't want to make gouges that have to be fixed later. Don't be afraid to use your sandpaper too.

Too bad you are so far away, I would be glad to show you. Maybe someone closer to you will chime in.

Don't worry about the accuracy potential of your setup. I am sure it will be fine. There is always optimum (spelled $) and then there is what will work just fine. You are on that track.

Good luck

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The barrel will be free floating once the action fits correctly. The stock is supposed to be from Remington. (It has Remington butt pad and cap.) The stock itself is done in Skyline Apparition Excell camo. The model 700 30-06 barrel and receiver were made in the early 1980s. Lastly, my idea of "tack driving" it to be able to take an elk, deer, or bear at 400 yards with confidence.
    I guess I will start carefully removing plastic...

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Remington selling anything other than drop in would be a shocker. I have 700 actions built from the mid 60s through as late as least year, and they share inlets with aplomb.

Top Bottom