• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    In our Defensive Shotgun 101 class yesterday, one of the students was running a Remington 887 pump-action shotgun in 12 gauge. He experienced several malfunctions (action jamming closed) throughout the course, finally resulting in an action that could not be opened at all. When I took the Yavapi Shotgun Level I class with Louis Awerbuck a couple of years ago, my Remington 870 experienced similar malfunctions with Winchester ammo. Louis shared with the class that this is very common with the 870 and some Winchester ammo.

The issue is due to using certain Winchester ammunition with these two shotguns. This includes but may be not limited to the Super Target and Super-X Heavy Game load.

The suggestion I've given to my students and posted on our Facebook page for Remington owners is to avoid these labels from Winchester for the 870 and 887. You may or may not experience these issues, but in my opinion there is no reason to take the chance on buying ammo that could cause malfunctions and possibly damage the gun.

Also, for those who are looking to buy a shotgun, this may be taken into account when considering these two Remington shotguns. There are other manufacturers that do not experience this issue with this ammo.

Until Remington fixes this issue, I cannot in good faith recommend Remington shotguns to my students. I myself am most likely going to switch to the Mossberg 500.

In my estimation, a defensive shotgun, and really ANY shotgun should be able to run ANY type of ammunition from a reputable manufacturer without any issues.

Take care and BE SAFE!

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Wow I thought it was just my 887 that did that. I experienced this with the same ammo shortly after I got it. After a lot of time and a little emery it will now run those successfully. Seemed to be a very slight ridge a mm or so into the chamber. After I got that polished out it will fire anything without issue.

Edit for clarity: The day the issue came up I had run Spartan, Rio, and the green "military 00 buck" without issue. It was only the bulk pack winchester that did this.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Never had an issue with any brand of ammo in any of my 3 870s. 2 of them are cheap express models.

I'm still of the opinion that most firearms problems are due to operator head space and timing.

Top Bottom