• ...and so much more!
  • JudgeJudy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 30, 2023
    Hamilton county
    Sorry if this has been asked, but how different is the process for buying a used suppressor? I see some for sale here and I'd like to get my feet wet.

Maybe a bigger question - would you guys buy a used suppressor? I haven't found any info if the warranties with them are transferable.

Thank you in advance

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve never been asked for anything other than to send a suppressor in for warranty work, and any major company just fixes them.

ATF e-file is only available for form 4 from dealer to individual. To buy used from individual, you’d paper form 4 and send it in. Seller keeps it until approved.

Or you could have your FFL transfer it in, then e-file from them, but then you’d be paying two stamps and double the wait.

JudgeJudy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 30, 2023
    Hamilton county
    I’ve never been asked for anything other than to send a suppressor in for warranty work, and any major company just fixes them.

ATF e-file is only available for form 4 from dealer to individual. To buy used from individual, you’d paper form 4 and send it in. Seller keeps it until approved.

Or you could have your FFL transfer it in, then e-file from them, but then you’d be paying two stamps and double the wait.
    Thanks so much I appreciate the info. Sounds like I just need to do a cost/benefit analysis on time/cost then.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Lot of factors need to be considered before buying used. Is the manufacturer still in business? How many rounds through the can? What was the main host? Short barreled or not? If yes, how short? 10.5 or 14.5? It makes a difference. What materials is the stack? Specifically the blast baffle. If you're buying a used can from an individual, trust, or dealer in the same state you reside in then it just one stamp. If the round count is lower and it hasn't been abused by short high pressure rounds and the manufacturer is still in business then you can probably get a decent deal on a used can. The manufacturer can always take a look at it and do a once over for you to ensure it's g2g. They'd probably even clean it for you and put a new coat of paint on it for free.
    I bought my YHM R9 "used" from a dealer. It was basically a demo. Never had been transferred to a form 4. Dealer and his buddies put about 200 rounds of 9mm subs through in one session. I looked it over and could tell it'd been shot but not abused. Blast baffle has a light gray dust on it. No damage or baffle strikes looking through it. He sold to me $100 cheaper than new price. I was happy with that

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have bought two used cans. One was from someone I knew and trusted and the other from an FFL I trusted. Filed the paper forms and waited while they kept the cans.

Went fine for me but not sure I would deal with the hassle if it was lesser known seller. Too easy to buy a new one with warranty etc.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I purchased my suppressor used from the estate of a great friend who passed.

In my instance it stayed in the possession of the estate attorney until the atf approved my paperwork and it was transferred to me by the attorney (who was a friend to both of us, and has a few class 3 items himself)

Other than hav to send the death certificate twice, it was painless for me

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Individual to dealer on paper from 4 is only about 53 days last time I checked.
    With an individual to dealer transfer, is e-file available for the dealer, or does it have to be paper just like an individual to individual?

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Not sure if you are still looking, since it is an older thread... I have done person to person form 4 transfers. The suppressor was kind of a toss in, because I bought the rifle too. I would not hesitate on buying a used suppressor if the guy seemed good and it does not seem in bad shape. (If they can open it). But you probably should get it for a decent price. If you are only saving a few bucks, new is a better option.

You also need to do your diligence and want to make sure the guy will be there is 6 months or more to be able to get the item from them. Same with any Person to Person NFA transfer.

Top Bottom