• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My wife has been saying for a while that she does not want to think about a gun before she takes a gun saftey class first.......

The other day she told me that the next one we buy has to be for her but after she takes the class.

:rockwoot::D

She used to be anti grabing a gun if someone tried to break in....... last night she said she would be grabing the .45 and our son if someone tried.

:rockwoot::D

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Good for her. I dont think its a bad idea to take a safety class. She will come around in her own sweet time. Give her what she wants and all will be good.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Send her to Sheriff Campbell's Introduction to Defensive Pistol. He offers a ladies only version (same course, just no men), I think the next is in October. My wife absolutely loved it and she admitted that a regular NRA safety course would NOT have gotten her interested like the defensive shooting did. Ken and Brent being excellent instructors, having good fellowship, and mostly... the tacticool stuff got her hooked.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Send her to Sheriff Campbell's Introduction to Defensive Pistol. He offers a ladies only version (same course, just no men), I think the next is in October. My wife absolutely loved it and she admitted that a regular NRA safety course would NOT have gotten her interested like the defensive shooting did. Ken and Brent being excellent instructors, having good fellowship, and mostly... the tacticool stuff got her hooked.

This bothers me. Not to imply that the Defensive Pistol course ignores safety, but it would seem to me that an introduction to firearms and safety in a general sense should precede a course on specialty uses of firearms.

Walk before you run, kind of thing.

It would appear that your wife knew enough to be familiar jumping ahead to the specialty stuff, but I don't think it's the right answer for everybody, particularly for somebody who exhibits a healthy fear/lack of comfort around firearms.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    This bothers me. Not to imply that the Defensive Pistol course ignores safety, but it would seem to me that an introduction to firearms and safety in a general sense should precede a course on specialty uses of firearms.

Walk before you run, kind of thing.

It would appear that your wife knew enough to be familiar jumping ahead to the specialty stuff, but I don't think it's the right answer for everybody, particularly for somebody who exhibits a healthy fear/lack of comfort around firearms.

It is an introductory class... my wife had never shot before taking the class. You spend the first half of the first day just in the classroom. The main difference is the class is not geared towards punching holes in paper. They aren't teaching you about a sport, they are teaching you about defending yourself. Especially for someone who recently had an issue with the idea of grabbing a gun for self defense, I think this is an important difference. Get a chief law enforcement officer who has been an LEO for 30 years teaching why you should have a gun for self defense and she will leave convinced.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Another good instructor in the East Indy area is Jim Heath. He offers a NRA basic pistol class every month. He and I were talking this week and he said his June class is full. He has been seeing an increase in people wanting to take courses not only pistol, but also basic shotgun and rifle. He's a great instructor and a retired policeman.
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck to you and your wife.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    It is an introductory class... my wife had never shot before taking the class. You spend the first half of the first day just in the classroom. The main difference is the class is not geared towards punching holes in paper. They aren't teaching you about a sport, they are teaching you about defending yourself. Especially for someone who recently had an issue with the idea of grabbing a gun for self defense, I think this is an important difference. Get a chief law enforcement officer who has been an LEO for 30 years teaching why you should have a gun for self defense and she will leave convinced.
    I'd like to put my wife through one of these classes. How much is it? Or, who do I need to contact again to find out the cost?

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'd like to put my wife through one of these classes. How much is it? Or, who do I need to contact again to find out the cost?

Introduction to Defensive Pistol 2010

Its $175 plus ammo for 2 days. He will also loan equipment on a first come first served basis. It says its for novice to experienced shooters, but if you talk to him, he will tell you it is appropriate for anyone. He has frequently had people show up with zero experience.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Well I found out that yesterday my wife went home and seems she forgot to make sure the door from the house to the garage was shut....... she got nervous and grabed the .45 and cleared the house room by room. I asked her if she "cocked it" and she said no that she was hoping to just scare the bad guy..........

Remember that before she was anti grabing a gun if she was to hear someone breaking in......

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Too bad Dave I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe the next show then.

I am hoping we will still be able to, I am going to talk to the wife about it.... working day's like this is hard to get used to... of the 3 days that I worked this week I only got like 16 hours sleep.

Part of the problem with the show is that I would have very little cash to spend... if any haha.

Last edited:

GunSlinger77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear that the wife is coming around and looking into classes. This seems to be something that takes time with women who were not brought up shooting or being taught how to handle and safely shoot.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Knife Lady, sorry I did not make it to the gun show, my wife said I could go but that we did not have the money for me to buy anything and I hate looking and not being able to buy haha.

On an update my wife seems to be more and more pro gun every day..... they other day I had some yotes come in my yard and night and she was glad that I got one of the guns and a mag light and went looking for them.

Top Bottom