Progressive & Performance Collision Center ripping me off.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Very long story cut as short as I could whilst not leaving anything out. Need opinions on what to do?

January 11th I left work and immediately was hit by someone running a light

We both have Progressive but he was considered 100% at fault

March 31st I finally get my "fixed car" after $11500 in damage repairs.

I go to pick the car up and it has a broken windshield when it wasn't even broke during the accident

Progressive adjuster says windshield was fine and so does Performance. So I take the car and drop off rental while they figure out who's paying because I'm not

Half a day driving 'fixed' car and at 4:40 AM my CEL, oil light, TPMS sensor, battery light, and others come on and the car obviously goes limp and dies a few miles from home.

My 70 year old dad comes and helps me push it up hill into a parking lot to get towed in AM

Adjustor calls on behalf of shop saying they can't find anything wrong and all is well but they'll send it to dealer to get 2nd opinion ONLY IF I AGREE TO PAY if it's not accident/repair related.

Dealer says it's all the sensors above are magically bad at same time. New wiring harness is installed correct and it's unrelated.

Dealer then calls 1 hour later saying actually they don't think the sensors are bad but it's the key because it's not OEM and replacing the wiring harness is what caused the key to not work anymore.

Progressive and Performance say this is unrelated even though admitting it's because of the new wiring harness and they've done their job and I'm on my own.

So they're saying to bring back the rental, I owe $180 to the dealer for the inspection, $400 for the key, and possibly $500-700 for sensors also.

I've tried calling everyone I had #s for and only one guy involved picked up. The adjustors supervisor wouldn't even return my call today.

What would you guys do? Just pay it all and take it up the *** when this is at least SOMEWHAT caused by the repairs? I don't see how it matters that my key that came with the car isn't OEM. It worked for a year and a half great. But because it's not OEM it's deemed unrelated?

Wtf

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Received a check from Allstate for a deductible reimbursement from a claim on a guy that hit me back in October of 19 today.
    I had written off ever seeing that money.
    The wheels of justice turn very slowly these days.

utl73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Indiana
    I've used performance collision several times and have had nothing but great service. Doesnt help in your situation but I feel like they have always been more than fair with me.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I've used performance collision several times and have had nothing but great service. Doesnt help in your situation but I feel like they have always been more than fair with me.
    I've used them 5 times. My ex used to magically damage my car. Or she hit people and lied.

First 3 flawless.

Forth time they said my mustangs bumper was fixed and good to go.

I went out to see it and it was repaired but the clear and paint had already cracked into a spiderweb mess. I asked if they looked at it and the guy said yeah its great. After actually seeing it they fixed it.

This time though? I don't know what the f happened. I'm never using them again just based on the windshield incident.

And my door is keyed to ****. They couldn't figure out the lock cover and put little holes in the door lock to try to get to it.

They won't fix the door they said. The windshield they did agree to fix after she would "get approval from the manager"

And @churchmouse - yep. As soon as this is fixed its going bye bye 101%. I didn't even like this car.

I can't believe they didn't total it. The cars value is only like $17000 at the time of accident and it had $11K of damage. Plus 3 months of rental?

I thought they totalled a car after 60% value in repairs?

@CHCRandy - thank you for that link. I was going to notify the BBB about both but that works better for insurance at least.

As of now I just dropped off my rental and am stuck for 2 days til the key is done apparently. And then more than likely they'll say the sensors ARE actually toast and need replacing too.

Covid cost me my job, then the I65/70 work downtown dropped my uncles business down to levels of business that were unsustainable. The night of the accident was the last night he was in business and I got hit leaving.

Then in the meanwhile I was doing little BS delivery things and got 'fired' for driving a different car than my own.

What more can go wrong? Permanent black cloud over here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've used them 5 times. My ex used to magically damage my car. Or she hit people and lied.

First 3 flawless.

Forth time they said my mustangs bumper was fixed and good to go.

I went out to see it and it was repaired but the clear and paint had already cracked into a spiderweb mess. I asked if they looked at it and the guy said yeah its great. After actually seeing it they fixed it.

This time though? I don't know what the f happened. I'm never using them again just based on the windshield incident.

And my door is keyed to ****. They couldn't figure out the lock cover and put little holes in the door lock to try to get to it.

They won't fix the door they said. The windshield they did agree to fix after she would "get approval from the manager"

And @churchmouse - yep. As soon as this is fixed its going bye bye 101%. I didn't even like this car.

I can't believe they didn't total it. The cars value is only like $17000 at the time of accident and it had $11K of damage. Plus 3 months of rental?

I thought they totalled a car after 60% value in repairs?

@CHCRandy - thank you for that link. I was going to notify the BBB about both but that works better for insurance at least.

As of now I just dropped off my rental and am stuck for 2 days til the key is done apparently. And then more than likely they'll say the sensors ARE actually toast and need replacing too.

Covid cost me my job, then the I65/70 work downtown dropped my uncles business down to levels of business that were unsustainable. The night of the accident was the last night he was in business and I got hit leaving.

Then in the meanwhile I was doing little BS delivery things and got 'fired' for driving a different car than my own.

What more can go wrong? Permanent black cloud over here.
    Man I am sorry to hear all of that.
    Something has to come your way.
    To many jobs out there right now.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Man I am sorry to hear all of that.
    Something has to come your way.
    To many jobs out there right now.
    It's all good. I'm honestly just ranting because of the car thing. I'm used to everything else being sh*t. It actually has been a series of events like the above since the 2008/9 collapse. So by now I'm so used to big things going wrong that the fairly small things like the last things on the car are what sets me off these days.

I appreciate it though. We all have problems and it could be much much worse.

I can't believe this dipsticks supervisor wouldn't even call me back still. Or a different unrelated one I was told to call on the regular service line.

Might be because i told the adjustor my email was F***Progressive@lyingpennypinchers.com when he wanted to send me the dealerships invoices/estimates.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Man what a crappy hand you are having to play.
    Frankly, it does sound like you're being raked over the coals. Unfortunately truly good body shops are few and far between and most are just about the equivalent of ambulance chasing lawyers. Also unfortunately, dealers aren't what they used to be. Years ago they took real pride in having well trained tech's but anymore and a good percentage are just average at best. I could write a book about crap work I have seen from a number of dealers in central IN.
    If the key has a chip, generally it either works or it doesn't. I don't think I've ever encountered a car that would start and run that had a faulty key. I have had keys that weren't programmed or were Valet door keys etc.
    What sensors did they initially say needed replaced? Was the wiring harness they replaced new or used? Body shops can install used parts without your approval when insurance is paying. Were any air bags deployed in the crash? If they had to work around the instrument cluster something may not be plugged in. What kind of car is it?
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a blown fuse or two given they had to replace the harness. Or maybe a connector wasn't securely plugged in or even a pin in a connector damaged. Heck, I have fixed many cars that just came from a body shop and they left a ground bolt loose... sometimes a ground for the PCM (engine computer).
    I would be asking the dealer to list all the DTC's that had been set. If nothing else for documenting and in case they clear the codes. Then I would consider paying check out fees and take it to a quality independent shop.
    I would almost bet a dollar to a donut that they're overlooking something simple

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Agree, in theory, but...

How much is the lawyer going to cost you? Are you paying them by the hour?

In a best case, find a lawyer that works on contingency. The problem is, the $ value of the claim isn't going to excite many of these. They are 100% coin operated. Even if they can bully the insurance company into buying you car at the $17K value, that's about $5K in fees to them (= 15-20 hrs at bill rate), minus costs like 2nd opinions from other shops and appraisals of your car. How much work to get there, and what are the the chances they get: All, Less, or Nothing.

The trick is getting the Insurance company to see that it's best for them to hold the repair shop accountable. (Right now they have more relationship with the shop than with you.) They have the position and leverage to do it, at a low cost for them. They just need a reason to give a s**t. (Phone calls and letters from a pissed off customer aren't going to phase them.)

Often, a well written complaint to the Insurance board, or the likleyhood of one, gets the Insurance company to "think clearly". Maybe a lawyer can be very helpful down that path, for a reasonable cost.

I'd also look at small claims court, and maybe a lawyer can read the policy and give guidance down that path.

I feel your pain, I really do! I've been there, many times, and got the scars to go with the lessons. Were it me, I'd certainly consult a few lawyers to see what they think, and if they are interested. I just wouldn't count on them as my savior.

Sorry to be a downer. Whatever you decide, I truly hope this works out best for you.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Agree, in theory, but...

How much is the lawyer going to cost you? Are you paying them by the hour?

In a best case, find a lawyer that works on contingency. The problem is, the $ value of the claim isn't going to excite many of these. They are 100% coin operated. Even if they can bully the insurance company into buying you car at the $17K value, that's about $5K in fees to them (= 15-20 hrs at bill rate), minus costs like 2nd opinions from other shops and appraisals of your car. How much work to get there, and what are the the chances they get: All, Less, or Nothing.

The trick is getting the Insurance company to see that it's best for them to hold the repair shop accountable. (Right now they have more relationship with the shop than with you.) They have the position and leverage to do it, at a low cost for them. They just need a reason to give a s**t. (Phone calls and letters from a pissed off customer aren't going to phase them.)

Often, a well written complaint to the Insurance board, or the likleyhood of one, gets the Insurance company to "think clearly". Maybe a lawyer can be very helpful down that path, for a reasonable cost.

I'd also look at small claims court, and maybe a lawyer can read the policy and give guidance down that path.

I feel your pain, I really do! I've been there, many times, and got the scars to go with the lessons. Were it me, I'd certainly consult a few lawyers to see what they think, and if they are interested. I just wouldn't count on them as my savior.

Sorry to be a downer. Whatever you decide, I truly hope this works out best for you.
    100% true. Typically you can get a consult with a lawyer for under $100. Tell them your story and they will tell you if it is worth pursuing. You are going to be money out of your pocket either way unless you sue in small claims to recoup that money. Then that is a lengthy, and difficult process.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Frankly, it does sound like you're being raked over the coals. Unfortunately truly good body shops are few and far between and most are just about the equivalent of ambulance chasing lawyers. Also unfortunately, dealers aren't what they used to be. Years ago they took real pride in having well trained tech's but anymore and a good percentage are just average at best. I could write a book about crap work I have seen from a number of dealers in central IN.
    If the key has a chip, generally it either works or it doesn't. I don't think I've ever encountered a car that would start and run that had a faulty key. I have had keys that weren't programmed or were Valet door keys etc.
    What sensors did they initially say needed replaced? Was the wiring harness they replaced new or used? Body shops can install used parts without your approval when insurance is paying. Were any air bags deployed in the crash? If they had to work around the instrument cluster something may not be plugged in. What kind of car is it?
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a blown fuse or two given they had to replace the harness. Or maybe a connector wasn't securely plugged in or even a pin in a connector damaged. Heck, I have fixed many cars that just came from a body shop and they left a ground bolt loose... sometimes a ground for the PCM (engine computer).
    I would be asking the dealer to list all the DTC's that had been set. If nothing else for documenting and in case they clear the codes. Then I would consider paying check out fees and take it to a quality independent shop.
    I would almost bet a dollar to a donut that they're overlooking something simple
    Yeah. The dealership I went to was all big and shiny and had everything you could imagine for amenities. It looked more like a spa than a car dealership inside.

NO JOKE when I went into the service dept from the lobby entrance (where the desk guys couldn't see me walk in right away) one of them was hitting his vape while at the desk and another one had one in hand as well. All of them weren't sure of the cars problems.

The wiring harness was new. Everything they used was new as the car is only 1.5 years old I think they have to still use new parts.

The sensors they said the first time were the oil pressure sensor, o2 sensors, and honestly I don't remember the third one. The forth one which I already conceded probably actually isn't related is a back rear tire pressure sensor. The rear of the car wasn't hit and I've always had those go out randomly and often.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah. The dealership I went to was all big and shiny and had everything you could imagine for amenities. It looked more like a spa than a car dealership inside.

NO JOKE when I went into the service dept from the lobby entrance (where the desk guys couldn't see me walk in right away) one of them was hitting his vape while at the desk and another one had one in hand as well. All of them weren't sure of the cars problems.

The wiring harness was new. Everything they used was new as the car is only 1.5 years old I think they have to still use new parts.

The sensors they said the first time were the oil pressure sensor, o2 sensors, and honestly I don't remember the third one. The forth one which I already conceded probably actually isn't related is a back rear tire pressure sensor. The rear of the car wasn't hit and I've always had those go out randomly and often.
    I won't try to give advice about whether to get a lawyer involved or not. If I were in your shoes, my first priority would be getting my car back with as little out of pocket as possible. Preferably the insurance company would hold the shops feet to the fire. That's not always how it works out.

It's plausible that the oxygen sensors were damaged in the crash. The sensing element is porcelain and with a hard enough impact could have sustained damage.
    With the other warning lamps that came on, I would put pressure back on insurance and the shop that again it's plausible that a ground circuit isn't making good contact due to painting or that they may have overlooked checking all the fuses.
    From my perspective most body shop technicians aren't very good at diagnostic/driveability issues. Just like most automotive tech's aren't very good at straightening metal and shooting paint. The dealer is basically being given a box of parts and being asked to fix something someone else has either overlooked or dropped the ball on. Frankly some technicians will try to take advantage of that situation to get paid for more hours of labor because they/we all hate being given a job someone else has already been monkeying around with. That usually results in a customer that will forever bring the car back associating every problem with it was fine before_____ was done.
    It's really a crappy situation for all parties involved. Keep your head and just work the problem and make insurance see how it's plausible the body shop isn't seeing the problem or inadvertently created a problem

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I won't try to give advice about whether to get a lawyer involved or not. If I were in your shoes, my first priority would be getting my car back with as little out of pocket as possible. Preferably the insurance company would hold the shops feet to the fire. That's not always how it works out.

It's plausible that the oxygen sensors were damaged in the crash. The sensing element is porcelain and with a hard enough impact could have sustained damage.
    With the other warning lamps that came on, I would put pressure back on insurance and the shop that again it's plausible that a ground circuit isn't making good contact due to painting or that they may have overlooked checking all the fuses.
    From my perspective most body shop technicians aren't very good at diagnostic/driveability issues. Just like most automotive tech's aren't very good at straightening metal and shooting paint. The dealer is basically being given a box of parts and being asked to fix something someone else has either overlooked or dropped the ball on. Frankly some technicians will try to take advantage of that situation to get paid for more hours of labor because they/we all hate being given a job someone else has already been monkeying around with. That usually results in a customer that will forever bring the car back associating every problem with it was fine before_____ was done.
    It's really a crappy situation for all parties involved. Keep your head and just work the problem and make insurance see how it's plausible the body shop isn't seeing the problem or inadvertently created a problem
    Yeah the first shop couldn't see anything wrong and basically said the car runs just fine. They say it started right up when they had it brought back in.

As far as the key thing goes do you see it being an issue caused by the new wiring harness? Or is it just a magically coincidental event that this "bad non oem key" worked perfectly fine for 1.5 years and then after the new harness comes in with whatever else too it just stops working.

Would they have to reprogram even an oem key replacing a while wiring harness or?

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I can tell you, being on the shop side of the equation, they'd be silly to not try to take care of you. I can't imagine any reason that if the damage, or problem, was caused by the accident damage, that they wouldn't take care of it. I try to go the extra mile for all of my customers.
    Frankly, it does sound like you're being raked over the coals. Unfortunately truly good body shops are few and far between and most are just about the equivalent of ambulance chasing lawyers.
    I take offense to your comment. Judging from your post, I'd guess you are, or were, a mechanic. That would be like me classifying most all mechanics as a bunch of backwoods hillbillies, that don't know what they are doing. Sure, there are some shops that do suck, but most of us mom and pop shops are here trying to support our families and be good citizens of our communities.

Top Bottom