• ...and so much more!
  • ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    +1

IUPUI is also building a formula SAE car. I am suppose to help out but havent gone yet :dunno: It uses a 600cc from a bike.

Thats what I was thinking of, formula SAE. That is what I would do. More than enough power with the 600cc motor, but the busa motor sounds a little more fun :rockwoot:

And have fun buying tires :)

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    The Formula SAE looks like fun and isn't too bad looking...I wonder if it's fast

Less than 1000lbs with driver and over 200 hp (if you use the busa motor, 300+ if you turbo it), hell yea they are!

That is like having 800hp in my GTO, but being able to handle :):. Should be more than a handful.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Less than 1000lbs with driver and over 200 hp (if you use the busa motor, 300+ if you turbo it), hell yea they are!

That is like having 800hp in my GTO, but being able to handle :):. Should be more than a handful.

so 50 grands for a formula SAE?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Racing

I worked on/hung around an SCCA GT1 car for several years. It was one of the original AAR Cudas and held it's class lap record at IRP at the time. My only point in identifying the car is to clarify it was a real, no BS, race car! I'm no race mechanic/engineer but I did pick up a couple of things you might want to consider. No matter what class you start out in, you will be competing against guys who have lots of talent, lots of money, or both! If they don't have both, chances are good they have talent and the money is provided by somebody else. If a certain amount of each is not available, you will not win, period! Be prepared, in the beginning, to get your butt kicked royally regardless of how fast you think you are. Be prepared to stay up all night, lots of nights, trying to figure out how to get that slug to go faster. The alternative is to be an "also-ran" who takes that butt-kickin' and has a great time doing it. And remember...oatmeal raisin cookies with greasy fingerprints are pretty good about 4AM on race day and they're cheaper than your wife's attorney! :D

Signs seen on the side of trailers that generally cost more than our race car was worth: "Speed costs money. How fast do YOU want to go?" (Usually guys with a truck load of money who were fast) "You tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys!" (Usually guys who had 2 truck loads of money but were still slow)

Bottom line: We had a little money and a very talented owner/driver you've never heard of. If we'd had lots of money, you would have heard of him.

Good luck. Hope you can do it and have success, fun, or both!

Top Bottom