• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i was just curious if anyone has one of the promag 50 round drum type magazines for the ruger 10/22.starting to see more and more of them.wondering if their reliable/worth the money?

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Run, Run away quickly

Run away from the Promag drums quickly. If you want high cap mags either buy factory mags and connect them with a new product called Tri-mag or use a Butler Creek STEEL lipped mag

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    ive bought some promags before for my mini 14 biggest waste of money i think.thats why i was curious about this for the 10/22.thanks for the info

pgw0321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Camby, IN
    Same here, promag drum is junk.
    I used it or tried to use it, junk, junk, junk.
    Gave it to a buddy, he gave it away a few days later.
    $50 bucks out the window!

fireman1328

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I agree, they are junk. I paid a little over $50 for one and can't get it to feed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to maybe fix them, or am I stuck with a worthless mag?

Fire

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    FWIW I had a couple Butler Creek Steel lip mags that wouldn't feed and I tried spraying a little Blakemore's Reel Magic on the feed lips and follower. So far this has helped. The reel magic is a very light lube that doesn't seem to build up at all.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    FWIW I had a couple Butler Creek Steel lip mags that wouldn't feed and I tried spraying a little Blakemore's Reel Magic on the feed lips and follower. So far this has helped. The reel magic is a very light lube that doesn't seem to build up at all.

I had a Butler Creek Steel Lip that would not feed and I called Butler Creek (which is really Bushnell) and they sent me a new mag free of charge. They also told me to keep my old one and use it as a paper weight. I've always had pretty good luck with Butler Creek mags.

Back to the OP, ProMags are junk. Bought one a couple years ago, would not work. I returned it to the guy at a 1500 gun show, package and all and he gave me a refund.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    We bought 2 of them at the 1500 last year they are junk total waste of money. If you can get the bolt to work with it in the gun your lucky and than they don't feed right. I gave up on mine it's only good for a paperweight.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    I picked up two Butler Creek 40 rd's for $45 at the gun show in Decatur Ill, they work very well, I have had no feeding problems with them. Cant say about the 50rd Promag, but I have used other Promag's in the past on other pistols and carbines and they suck! I threw the 15 rd HP 995 mag up range and shot it to pieces!

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    Never heard of a Tri-Mag.. looks like a cheapo way to connect three magazines. Butler creek released something during the "assault weapon" ban that would allow you to connect two or three of their magazines, and it was built in to the back of the magazine, requiring no further purchase than 2 or 3 magazines to connect. They would connect to each other or 3 in combo.

I'm fond of single stack mags myself, never had ANY issues with them. Always had at least one problem with double stack, maybe its just me... I've fired tens of thousands of 22LR downrange in the past 10-12 years and the EPA should be all over me haha. All out of my 10/22. Excellent firearm. One of my favorites hands down. I received one when i was 6 or 7 (14ish years ago) and have never had any issues with it amoung the thousands of rounds ive put through it.

Unless you have a Norrell trigger pack or a full auto 10/22 of any other brand, why would you need a "drum"? Just get a few good single stack 25 or 30 rounders and that should be good. I've seen those rotary mags in a teardrop shape and I don't recall the name brand but they were always good from what i hear and you could work on them if necessary. All the double stacks ive ever had the spring wont keep enough pressure on the catridges to allow them to feed properly. Horrible design, bad spring, or whatever.

Last edited:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Butler Creek mags

The Butler Creek mags are hit or miss. You either get a good one that works or you have to tinker with them. You can not get a more dependable mag for the 10/22 than the factory mag. It can be taken apart and cleaned or repaired. The Tri-mag is a new product made by a gentleman in the Military and is made completely in the United States. Yes you will spend a little more to purchase it and 3 factory mags but there will be no question on dependability and you are supporting one of our Soldiers.

Top Bottom