Proof that .22 can kill the biggest of BG's. (Video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0CyqZ2D-g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0CyqZ2D-g[/ame]

This lady was going to be sexually assaulted by one BIG BG and she took matters into her own hands, with a .22 pistol none the less. One shot to the heart, killing the perp. Shot placement always trumps round caliber.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Doctor friend of my daughter (she is an ER nurse) here in town told me that the one of the worst slugs to get shot with was a .22 LR HP....it penetrates...but then tends to bounce around inside...shredding more tissue and organs than a higher caliber that tends to penetrate on through. The way he explained it, it made some sense.

You may not die as fast...but the chances of you surviving are quite low.

I thought it was an interesting point. And I know a .22 can be deadly. But I am still gonna carry my 9mm :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You may not die as fast...

There's the rub!

When being attacked, you want the attack to STOP IMMEDIATELY. Not in minutes...hours...days. (having said that, when it comes to stopping things immediately, either hope for a CNS disruption or use a rifle)

-J-

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yep. If I have to shoot to stop a criminal attack, that's exactly what I want to do - stop the attack.

Stopping the attack trumps killing the criminal. I care not whether they will ultimately bleed out or not.

Of course a .22 can kill, but it's not nearly as effective at stopping attacks as a larger caliber round.
    Less energy, less penetration... she's lucky that what she had was enough in this case.

I wouldn't want to count on it in most circumstances since I have better options available.

Unless she just couldn't possibly shoot a larger caliber accurately, shot placement is not a factor.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Unless the bullet bounces off.:)

(I've had .22s, .25s and .32s bounces off skulls or stop in leather jackets)

^^ This. Even a perfectly placed bullet has to perform it's function once it arrives.

Larger bullets are less likely to bounce off, be deflected, and/or fail to adequately penetrate. It's all about stacking the odds in your favor as much as possible.

Glad it worked out for her. Glad a repeat offender is out of circulation.

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Shot placement always trumps round caliber.

No, it doesn't.

When the round strikes the surface of the target, shot placement is over. What the bullet does after penetrating is a factor of bullet mass, velocity, angle, target material, and bullet construction. A small bullet may deflect off of a rib, while a well constructed heavier bullet may break the rib and continue to the vitals. Even for bullets of different calibers that strike a vital organ, bigger bullets create larger wounds that hemorrhage blood more quickly than smaller wounds. The difference may only be 1 second in incapacitation time, but that 1 second may save your life.

While any bullet can kill, that is not the object of self defense. The object of self defense is to incapacitate your opponent, so that he cannot continue his attack. Outside of a direct central nervous system hit (spinal cord or brain), there is no physical reason for a determined person to stop their attack with even multiple handgun round hits, until blood pressure drops to a level that is insufficient to maintain consciousness.

There is less difference in penetration and wounding ability between the handgun service calibers (9mm, .357, .40, .45) than there is between the service calibers and smallbores like the .22 LR and .25 ACP. This is because the service calibers, with modern, well constructed bullets, all have the energy, mass and velocity to penetrate to the vital organs or central nervous system. Smallbore handgun calibers are less consistent in this regard, especially given the short barrels of most pocket guns chambered in these calibers, which reduce their anemic energy and velocities even further, diminishing effectiveness.

Simply put, this lady got lucky. An aggressive human can function and carry out an attack for several seconds, even after suffering a direct gunshot wound to the heart, before he is forced to stop due to unconsciousness. Attackers often do stop for psychological reasons (Oh my God, I've been shot!), but one should not rely on this for effective self defense.

If shot placement truly did reliably trump caliber, carrying anything other than a small .22 would be silly. But such is definitely not the case.

Last edited:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Good news all around. Kirks info about .22's and other mouse calibers bouncing off is true. Heard a story from a reunion from my grandfathers WW2 company in Lousiville, KY about 5 years ago about something like that. During a battle near Chambois, France in '44 the 90th infantry was trying to close the gap and was in fierce fighting with germans. to make long story short my grandfather carried a small Astra .25 in his pocket. His Garand ran dry of ammo and his 1911 was basically blown from his hand from a mortar round. he pulled his .25 from his pocket and fired a round at near point blank range into a german soldiers head. the german fell instantly. shortly after the battle was over and while sitting gathering their thoughts he saw the german was moving around and still alive. my grandpa pulled him into his hole and saw the bullet struck just below his helmet but did not penetrate his skull. knocked him out cold but not lethal. since the fight was over he called for medic, bandaged his head and gave him a cigarette until he was picked up by the MP's.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There's the rub!

When being attacked, you want the attack to STOP IMMEDIATELY. Not in minutes...hours...days. (having said that, when it comes to stopping things immediately, either hope for a CNS disruption or use a rifle)

-J-

I agree.......but I still have no desire to be shot with a .22

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The last two gunshot deaths that I was first at the scene were this;
    .357 Mag to the head. Suicide. Brains no longer present in the skull. Subject died instantly.
    .22 LR to the back of the head. Murder. No exit wound. Subject died instantly.
    Even though the .22 had the same results, I wouldn't want my life to depend on a small caliber projectile doing the same thing every time.
    Remember;
    "The only thing that will stop a man instantly, every time, is a supersonic phone pole."
    Col. Jeff Cooper

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Good news all around. Kirks info about .22's and other mouse calibers bouncing off is true. Heard a story from a reunion from my grandfathers WW2 company in Lousiville, KY about 5 years ago about something like that. During a battle near Chambois, France in '44 the 90th infantry was trying to close the gap and was in fierce fighting with germans. to make long story short my grandfather carried a small Astra .25 in his pocket. His Garand ran dry of ammo and his 1911 was basically blown from his hand from a mortar round. he pulled his .25 from his pocket and fired a round at near point blank range into a german soldiers head. the german fell instantly. shortly after the battle was over and while sitting gathering their thoughts he saw the german was moving around and still alive. my grandpa pulled him into his hole and saw the bullet struck just below his helmet but did not penetrate his skull. knocked him out cold but not lethal. since the fight was over he called for medic, bandaged his head and gave him a cigarette until he was picked up by the MP's.

There was an incident some time ago where an LEO from my area was shot in the face and body with a small handgun, and radioed in the shooting himself.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYYtHvs76o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYYtHvs76o[/ame]

Small handguns might be sufficient in some cases, but I preffer a bit more insurance for me and my family.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Well ya see 357 mag will always get the job done but 22. is a good starter gun. I would carry 22. if i had to though.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    No, it doesn't.

When the round strikes the surface of the target, shot placement is over. What the bullet does after penetrating is a factor of bullet mass, velocity, angle, target material, and bullet construction. A small bullet may deflect off of a rib, while a well constructed heavier bullet may break the rib and continue to the vitals. Even for bullets of different calibers that strike a vital organ, bigger bullets create larger wounds that hemorrhage blood more quickly than smaller wounds. The difference may only be 1 second in incapacitation time, but that 1 second may save your life.

While any bullet can kill, that is not the object of self defense. The object of self defense is to incapacitate your opponent, so that he cannot continue his attack. Outside of a direct central nervous system hit (spinal cord or brain), there is no physical reason for a determined person to stop their attack with even multiple handgun round hits, until blood pressure drops to a level that is insufficient to maintain consciousness.

There is less difference in penetration and wounding ability between the handgun service calibers (9mm, .357, .40, .45) than there is between the service calibers and smallbores like the .22 LR and .25 ACP. This is because the service calibers, with modern, well constructed bullets, all have the energy, mass and velocity to penetrate to the vital organs or central nervous system. Smallbore handgun calibers are less consistent in this regard, especially given the short barrels of most pocket guns chambered in these calibers, which reduce their anemic energy and velocities even further, diminishing effectiveness.

Simply put, this lady got lucky. An aggressive human can function and carry out an attack for several seconds, even after suffering a direct gunshot wound to the heart, before he is forced to stop due to unconsciousness. Attackers often do stop for psychological reasons (Oh my God, I've been shot!), but one should not rely on this for effective self defense.

If shot placement truly did reliably trump caliber, carrying anything other than a small .22 would be silly. But such is definitely not the case.

+1 :yesway:

repped

Top Bottom