• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    OMG, don't we have more important things to be dealing with !? I think any of the politicians that wasted theirs and their constituents time with a bill like this should be removed from office permanently.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Since when is religion required for education? Yeah atheists shouldn't graduate... from your churches Sunday school. If you want your children educated on your religion that is what you and your church are responsible for.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    Even though the founding fathers built this Country on the basis of God, they are rolling in their graves because it goes against a individual's liberty to celebrate freedom of religion.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A little more info (who & why) from the guy who wrote the bill. That atheist web page has twisted the story just a bit.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/polit...izona-bills-push-patriotic-oaths-schools.html
    I don't think they twisted it, at all. Forcing a loyalty oath on people is unConstitutional, especially when they're forced to attend these government schools. Adding the "so help me fictional character" to it makes it worse and unswearable by any number of people, not just athiests. Even Jehovah's Witnesses wouldn't be able to graduate with this nonsense in place. Guess the republicrats are still proving themselves to be the Stupid Party.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Extreme yes, crazy no.

Read both articles even the man that proposed the bill is having second thoughts. This seems to be a simple case of a knee jerk reaction to all the anti American crap they put up with in AZ.

How many ridiculous bills are proposed and go nowhere every year all around the country?

As stated before, yes we have far more important things to worry about at the moment. This bill will not pass, even if it did, it would challenged legally and go away.

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Even though the founding fathers built this Country on the basis of God, they are rolling in their graves because it goes against a individual's liberty to celebrate freedom of religion.

I agree with this, although "built this country on the basis of God" is a bit of a stretch. I think the country was built on the basis of liberty. God was certainly a consideration to many of the founding fathers, but many of them being deists, they certainly are not of the same mold of the nutjobs who are writing such blatantly unconstitutional crap as this law.

Perhaps if someone suggested that the oath end with "so help me Allah," these wingnuts would get a clue on why this is such a bad proposal.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    jerrell said it right. No way you can force a pledge or oath. Setting aside time is one thing. Forcing participation is quite another.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Who cares? If you are an atheist and you swear in the name of a being you don't believe in rhen it is not really an oath then is it? The issue here is not that atheist kids won't be allowed to graduate. The issue is that ALL kids would be asked to take the oath. Why make kids do that?

It makes me laugh how much atheists worry about God things if they don't believe. For a non believer this should be akin to swearing an oath to Scooby Doo. People would shake their heads and say "whatever." Why can't the choirs sing songs about God? It's like singing about any other fictional character?

Atheists need to step back and examine why they get so upset about God being part of other people's lives. Who cares what the believers believe? If its fiction.

Top Bottom