• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I just purchased a cleaning kit that uses rods. Previously I had used the Otis kits with the flexible steel cables. I was wondering if it is okay to turn the rod as you push brush/patch through the bore to get some extra cleaning action?

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    It's a Pro Shot cleaning kit. It seems pretty nice, but the rod is stationary. It doesn't rotate on the handle. Should I get one that rotates?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    It's a Pro Shot cleaning kit. It seems pretty nice, but the rod is stationary. It doesn't rotate on the handle. Should I get one that rotates?
    This is just my opinion. If you're using it for a rifle you need a spinning handle but if it's for a handgun I wouldn't really worry much about it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure that your brushes don't unscrew themselves turning with the rifling. It isn't a major catastrophe, but it is an annoyance to deal with.

Now, after reading the thread title without opening it, I was going to suggest that the most proper use involved an orifice attached to a certain Kenyan where the sun doesn't shine such that you could clean his brain a bit.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure that your brushes don't unscrew themselves turning with the rifling. It isn't a major catastrophe, but it is an annoyance to deal with.

Now, after reading the thread title without opening it, I was going to suggest that the most proper use involved an orifice attached to a certain Kenyan where the sun doesn't shine such that you could clean his brain a bit.

:rofl:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I was wondering if it is okay to turn the rod as you push brush/patch through the bore to get some extra cleaning action?

The ONLY time I have found that this is needed or beneficial was when cleaning heavy rust out of the bore of an old, neglected gun that had either seen corrosive ammo or black powder cartridges and hadn't been cleaned after firing. I certainly wouldn't do it to a gun with a nice bore; for any normal cleaning, go with the advice given above.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I agree with everything already stated. On a side note, I would just like to say I like my Dewey rods! They are a little spendy, however if you clean a lot they are pretty handy. I have a short non-spinning one for AR chambers, and sometimes use it for pistols too (because its short). Basically if the patch or brush is spinning with the rifling, you are getting everywhere you need to.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    If gun has a right hand twist on the barrel does that mean the rifling goes in a clockwise manner from breech to muzzle?

Top Bottom