Proper etiquette for unloading before entering a shop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you don't know I have a gun, do I really have one? :dunno:

If I got banned by BWW it would be no big deal. I would hate to get banned by a LGS. Gotta have priorities I guess.

Getting caught isn't the question. The question is why you honor one store's policy but not the other's. Couldn't you just as easily conceal at the LGS rather than disarm?

I'm not trying to troll you, but this question has come up extremely frequently. People give their LGS a free pass on banning loaded guns but they scream bloody murder if anyone else on the planet does it. I'm just trying to understand the logic and reasoning behind it. "Just conceal it and no one will know!" is completely missing the point. You're still carrying a loaded gun in violation of each store's policy.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If you feel you must carry, carry a different gun that day. Unload your other EDC and leave it unloaded till you get back home.

This ^^^

My understanding was that the issue isn't bringing in a loaded carry gun that will remain holstered. The issue is the OP wants to have an unholstered firearm that can be used to find an accessory that fits.

If I bring in a firearm for service/sale/trade it is unloaded and in a box or other suitable container. This does not mean that there isn't a loaded firearm on my person that I have no intention of drawing unless it is needed for operation.

For the purposes of obtaining a holster, the store can usually tell you what will fit based on a verbal description of the brand, model and size of firearm involved. Maybe I am buying different holsters than what the OP wants but it has always worked for me. YMMV

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't think that it's completely fair to equate a gun store with all other retail establishments when it comes to their policy regarding customers carrying loaded guns.

For one thing, I'm pretty sure that retail stores and restaurants can be fairly secure in knowing that any loaded weapons carried into their establishments are going to remain holstered (if not totally hidden).

Gun stores, on the other hand can't always be sure that gun carrying customers aren't going to be showing off their guns to other customers, checking the fit of a holster, or whatever. It's just one more thing for the staff to have to be on the look-out for.

I've never taken a gun to a gun store unless I was having it checked out, or was making a trade, and then I always bring it in unloaded with the action open.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Getting caught isn't the question. The question is why you honor one store's policy but not the other's. Couldn't you just as easily conceal at the LGS rather than disarm?

I'm not trying to troll you, but this question has come up extremely frequently. People give their LGS a free pass on banning loaded guns but they scream bloody murder if anyone else on the planet does it. I'm just trying to understand the logic and reasoning behind it. "Just conceal it and no one will know!" is completely missing the point. You're still carrying a loaded gun in violation of each store's policy.

In a restaurant it is unlikely anyone will remove their guns from their hiding places. Less chance of an AD. There would be no reason to un-holster other than for personal protection. However if everyone disarms before entering who will protect us from the BG's if they show up? Sorry, I don't like to play sitting duck.

In a LGS there is a higher likelihood of guns being removed from their holsters which means a higher chance for an AD. Since I unload I hope that others will do the same so no one accidentally gets shot. Even though I am unloaded the employees still have loaded guns and enough of the patrons do that if the BG's show up there would still be someone armed to help protect us.

Yes it is a naive assumption but I like the idea of some guns better than I like the idea of no guns.

kkoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    If you make a negligent yet innocent mistake, most gun shop owners will correct you immediately before allowing a problem to rise. If it is not marked on the door, I won't hesitate to walk into any establishment with my gun loaded and holstered. It's another reason why I mainly OC. If there is a problem, the establishment will ask you to leave and disarm. No big deal. If you refuse the cops get involved and you can be charged with trespassing. Keeping that in mind, if you're going to take your gun in to find an accessory, just unload it in you vehicle and holster it. Inform the sales person or owner what you are looking for, that you have the gun on you and it is unloaded. Don't just do anything, tell the sales person you are going to unholster your unloaded weapon and do your thing. If they have a problem you will be informed. Information and communication, just like you asked on here is proper etiquette for taking any gun to any gun shop.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Over the weekend I went to Big Daddy's & McGalliard Guns. I wasn't sure of either store's policy so I unloaded in my car, away from the store, before I even walked in. I wasn't even looking for a holster but would prefer to unload in my car instead of the front of the store if it is store policy. Once I got to the door of each place I didn't notice a sign saying I had to unload.

Personally asking me to unload is no different than asking me to wear a shirt & shoes for service. It's a common courtesy I don't have a problem complying with.

I see this differently. If you are NOT unholstering your pistol, there's no reason to unload it.

Would you be willing to unload your wallet/purse/pockets, leave the pocket knife in the vehicle, or anything else?

Now, if you are planning on leaving it there for service or wanting to try it in a holster, by all means, unload it and carry it in a case.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    If you don't know I have a gun, do I really have one? :dunno:

If I got banned by BWW it would be no big deal. I would hate to get banned by a LGS. Gotta have priorities I guess.

Why did you unload for the gun store instead of sticking it in your purse?

Most chain gun stores have "no loaded guns, CCW do not apply".

Last edited:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I see this differently. If you are NOT unholstering your pistol, there's no reason to unload it.

Would you be willing to unload your wallet/purse/pockets, leave the pocket knife in the vehicle, or anything else?

Now, if you are planning on leaving it there for service or wanting to try it in a holster, by all means, unload it and carry it in a case.

:yesway: Common sense. Every time you handle a pistol you increase the chance of an "accident".

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County

Which chain gun stores would that be? Walmart and Dunhams have no sign. Gander Mountain and Cabelas have signs that specify guns for trade or repair must be unloaded .

I have only seen the no loaded guns sign at independent shops.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    my gun shop etiquette consists of pullin my pants up to cover my butt crack and wipin the bbq out of my mustache. I might put on a ball cap so as to not blind anyone with the gleam from my chrome dome.:rockwoot:

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    My $.02, unload leave the magazine in the car. Put the gun in the case, action open if possible and take it in the store. If they have the same gun, use that one to check the fit of the holster. If they don't inform them that you would like to check the fit with your gun.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Thanks again, best advice is to give them a call. This has also enlightened me about the "no loaded guns" signs. Although, I am still not sure if this applies to all stores with those signs.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Why did you unload for the gun store instead of sticking it in your purse?

Cause I'm a girl and my guns love new holsters and stuff just as much as I do. ;) Just because that's not what I am there for, doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one if I saw a neat one in the store.

I would hate to see something I like and want to try out but have a loaded gun. I don't want to be 'that silly girl' unloading my gun at the counter of a crazy busy gun store.

Case in point, at the last local gun show I picked up a crossbreed holster for a gun I don't even carry. I bought it because it was an actual crossbreed holster at a hell of a deal. My Sig was unloaded and ready to try on leather. The holster fit so I bought it. I couldn't have checked the holster fit if the gun were loaded and hidden in my purse. The particular gun had been in my purse but I declared it at the door along with my carry gun.

A loaded gun belongs secured in its carry holster. It should not be trying on new leather or being waved around a crowded store or show.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

I agree. I unload based on the likelihood that I may want to remove my gun from its holster. I unload because I might want to check out holsters or grips at gun stores.

When I go to pawn shops to look at guns and pocket knives. I do not unload because there is almost no chance I would unholster my gun other than in a self defense situation. This is the same reason I carry my loaded gun in most stores and restaurants.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I keep mine in the holster .... loaded. If I'm taking a gun to trade or have work done on it, I'll unload it, either @ home or in my car before going in. Regardless, the gun on my hip & ankle are still loaded.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    it's a gun shop. I'm sure they'll have another gun same make/model as yours in the case they can use for 'testing purposes' if need be.

(am I the only one that thought of this ? :D )

Have you been in a gun shop recently? The chance that they'll have anything, let alone a particular model, is pretty slim these days.

And if they do have one, they might not be thrilled with the idea of sliding a new gun in & out of a holster, especially if it's kydex.

Unload the EDC prior to the visit, and carry something else that day.

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The four rules are always in effect.

What Rights have you agreed to compromise away today? What did you get in return? Nothing? So, you didn't compromise, you just gave them away. FOR NOTHING. Do you place such little value on your Rights that you'll sell them for NOTHING?!

Giving up my right to carry a loaded gun at a gun show or in a gun store is insignificant compared to my right to not become a gun show statistic due to someone else's ignorance.

Whether or not my gun is loaded will be of little consequence if someone not observing the four rules has an accidental discharge that hits me or someone else in the head.

The right I am preserving is my right to live another day without the fear of dying senselessly of a preventable cause.

angelheadstonedeadisdead_zpscd22d63e.jpg

Top Bottom