Proper way to sell used handguns in Indiana ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sr9cace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2013
    I have a handgun from my uncle that past away 15 years ago. What is the legal way of selling it and how do I go by doing it. Problem is I don't know where he got it from. It was his carry gun.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    As others mentioned you don't do anything but sell the gun. The only catch is you must not believe the buyer is barred from owning a firearm. Most people will also see the buyer's DL to make sure he or she is from the state of IN as it is illegal to sell handguns to people that live out of state without going through a FFL to that person's state of residence.

Also some will even go a step further by asking to see a LTCH aka a license to carry handgun permit to ensure the buyer is a straight arrow with nothing on his record. But this isn't required when making a sale.

In that case just to cover your own *** have the buyer sign a bill of sale with both your name, the buyer's, the date the sale took place, and the make, model, and serial number of the gun being sold.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a couple of handguns that I am considering selling in Indiana.

:welcome: to :ingo:......:draw:
    The guy's been here since 2009... :dunno:

I have a handgun from my uncle that past away 15 years ago. What is the legal way of selling it and how do I go by doing it.
    It's your gun now - you sell how you like. (FTF or dealer)
    Not much different than that lawnmower you got from your uncle.

Problem is I don't know where he got it from.
    Did he steal it? No? Then irrelevant.

It was his carry gun.
    Irrelevant, too.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a handgun from my uncle that past away 15 years ago. What is the legal way of selling it and how do I go by doing it. Problem is I don't know where he got it from. It was his carry gun.

A person-to-person sale to another Indiana resident that can legally own a gun requires NOTHING else from you. I've bought/sold firearms on a handshake and cash exchange.

Some folks are more comfortable at least viewing some documentation (photo ID, LTCH). Others want a bill of sale, and still others prefer to go through an FFL. None is required for in-state sales to residents.

Out of state sales ALWAYS require a transfer through the BUYER'S state's FFL.

If you are really unsure of the whole thing and don't want to mess with it, maybe stop by your local gun shop and see if they do consignment sales? They get a cut for the service, but it takes the whole process out of your hands.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Well, it would seem there are a lot of "gun people" in full support of registration and subsequent confiscation.

No it's called people like to play it safe to ensure they aren't selling to a crack head or some kinda convicted felon.

Don't try to lump people together who are just trying to be law abiding as being pro confiscation and registration. If you are fine with selling guns to strangers without so much as checking their ID to make sure they are from this state then I would say it's your morals regarding firearms that should be questioned.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    No it's called people like to play it safe to ensure they aren't selling to a crack head or some kinda convicted felon.

Don't try to lump people together who are just trying to be law abiding as being pro confiscation and registration. If you are fine with selling guns to strangers without so much as checking their ID to make sure they are from this state then I would say it's your morals regarding firearms that should be questioned.

That's quite a leap but have it as you will. You may not be aware but there is currently a fight on to maintain the few gun rights we currently still enjoy. One of the points of contention is to keep the government from maintaining documentation on what legally owned items you have in your possession. They have no right to know. Some people, since the government is not authorized to maintain such records (yet) have taken it upon themselves to maintain them so that they can be swiftly and easily turned over to government agents upon request. There is no legal requirement to do so and there is no penalty for not doing so. People who abide by fictitious laws aren't accomplishing anything except forwarding and reinforcing an agenda which seeks to take away our rights. I abide by Federal and State laws explicitly, no more and no less. I sleep well at night.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I'm fully aware of the current status on gun rights. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is aware of it especially after Sandy Hook. It's been the talk of the town for the past six months.

However as I stated to someone asking about selling a gun privately. It's just a means to protect yourself in showing the firearm has changed hands and you have no reason to believe the buyer should be barred from buying a gun.

That's just how I feel about it if they don't have a license to carry as I'm sure others would agree. There are plenty of threads posted asking for either Bills of Sales or to see LTCH. But it's not like a bill of sale is being mailed straight to the ATF for record keeping so for you to say anyone who wants a bill of a sale is pro gun confiscation and registration is quite a leap as well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm fully aware of the current status on gun rights. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is aware of it especially after Sandy Hook. It's been the talk of the town for the past six months.

However as I stated to someone asking about selling a gun privately. It's just a means to protect yourself in showing the firearm has changed hands and you have no reason to believe the buyer should be barred from buying a gun.

That's just how I feel about it if they don't have a license to carry as I'm sure others would agree. There are plenty of threads posted asking for either Bills of Sales or to see LTCH. But it's not like a bill of sale is being mailed straight to the ATF for record keeping so for you to say anyone who wants a bill of a sale is pro gun confiscation and registration is quite a leap as well.
    Ok, my point is that there is only one reason to have that piece of paper. To show the authorities when they come knocking on your door. You are not legally required to have it and they cannot do anything to you if you don't have it. Listen, I don't want a criminal to get a gun any more than you do. I also am unwilling to reinforce the idea that these items must have a paper trail. That is all I am saying. IMHO keeping a bill of sale is playing into the gun grabbers hands.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I respect your opinion about the government not needing to know people's personal business. I just choose to keep records should the authorities or worse ATF were to show up at my door because a gun I previously owned was used in a some sort of crime long after I got rid of it.

My reasoning is because I do know of someone who had a similar problem after selling a firearm to someone and that type of outcome did come to pass long after the gun was sold.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Gee, some of you guys' bills of sale are some pretty elaborate documents. Most times when I buy from a gun store I don't even get a dam register receipt.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Gee, some of you guys' bills of sale are some pretty elaborate documents. Most times when I buy from a gun store I don't even get a dam register receipt.

lol hardly mine just have my name, the buyer's name, the date of the sale, the price or trade, along with the make, model, and serial number. Or is that considered elaborate?:D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I respect your opinion about the government not needing to know people's personal business. I just choose to keep records should the authorities or worse ATF were to show up at my door because a gun I previously owned was used in a some sort of crime long after I got rid of it.

My reasoning is because I do know of someone who had a similar problem after selling a firearm to someone and that type of outcome did come to pass long after the gun was sold.

And what came of it? He can't be prosecuted. He violated no laws.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    If you feel it's necessary or if it just makes you feel better, try this.

Record of Firearm Transaction

DATE: _______________________________________

MANUFACTURE: _______________________________________
    MODEL: _______________________________________
    SERIAL NUMBER: _______________________________________

AMOUNT: _______________________________________

(Print)

TO: _______________________________________
    (Print)

usmc6153

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    If you feel it's necessary or if it just makes you feel better, try this.

Record of Firearm Transaction

DATE: _______________________________________

MANUFACTURE: _______________________________________
    MODEL: _______________________________________
    SERIAL NUMBER: _______________________________________

AMOUNT: _______________________________________

(Print)

TO: _______________________________________
    (Print)

Thanks. I will steal this :cool:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Money was spent more money then I wanna spend and i'll leave it at that.

Why was money spent? All he had to say is that he sold it in a face to face transaction which is legal in the state of Indiana and that should have been it. Same thing happened to a friend of my Dads. He got a call saying a rifle he bought 5 years ago and than sold FTF was used in a murder in WI. He told them that he sold the gun a few years ago and does not keep records and that was that.

Top Bottom