• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    For everyone in favor of a ban, realize this. You are granting authority to government to ban an activity, which is legal.

Just because you agree with this ban, doesn't mean you'll agree with the next one. By granting the government authority here, you're creating a hell of a fight for yourself in the future when the government creates a ban you disagree with.

As long as you understand that and are ok with it, then I guess that's your perogative.

Yep, this is what I have a problem with. We stop choosing and thinking for ourselves and let the government decide what we can and can't do because of health reasons. The pressure is already being put on the fast food restaurants to serve healthier meals. If it is ok to ban smoking this year then in a few more years we might see a ban on things like hot wings or cheese burgers.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    For everyone in favor of a ban, realize this. You are granting authority to government to ban an activity, which is legal.

Just because you agree with this ban, doesn't mean you'll agree with the next one. By granting the government authority here, you're creating a hell of a fight for yourself in the future when the government creates a ban you disagree with.

As long as you understand that and are ok with it, then I guess that's your perogative.

They came first for the smokers,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a smoker.

Then they came for the saggers,
    and I didn't speak up because I didn't sag.

Then they came for the people with long grass,
    and I didn't speak up because I mowed my lawn.

Then they came for the things I enjoyed,
    and by that time no one cared about my liberties either.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yep, this is what I have a problem with. We stop choosing and thinking for ourselves and let the government decide what we can and can't do because of health reasons. The pressure is already being put on the fast food restaurants to serve healthier meals. If it is ok to ban smoking this year then in a few more years we might see a ban on things like hot wings or cheese burgers.

It has really been a surprising and eye opening process. It has proven to me what a nation of sheep we really are. The non-smokers (No, never smoke cigarettes in my life) seem to think they have the right to go anywhere they want and control what other people do.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Everything should be legal. You should be free to do whatever you want.

BUT when what YOU are doing infriges on YOUR NEIGHBOR'S rights, there is a problem.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I totally agree that the property owner SHOULD have the right to choose whatever they want as far as smoking. The Govt should have no right to determine this.

But as a patron, I love it that I don't have to smell stinky people while eating.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Everything should be legal. You should be free to do whatever you want.

BUT when what YOU are doing infriges on YOUR NEIGHBOR'S rights, there is a problem.

You mean like lobbying your city council to use its monopoly on preemptive force to restrict the use of a privately-owned property by that property's owner :dunno:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    You mean like lobbying your city council to use its monopoly on preemptive force to restrict the use of a privately-owned property by that property's owner :dunno:

Well... I'm sure you don't mean to suggest that by simply lobbying the city council, one has in any way infringed on another's rights. :dunno: We can agree that the action the city council takes could potentially infringe on another's rights.

¿Do you believe that an employer has an obligation to provide a safe working environment? ¿OR, do you think that any legislation defining the obligations of employers to be an infringement?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Well... I'm sure you don't mean to suggest that by simply lobbying the city council, one has in any way infringed on another's rights. :dunno: We can agree that the action the city council takes could potentially infringe on another's rights.

¿Do you believe that an employer has an obligation to provide a safe working environment? ¿OR, do you think that any legislation defining the obligations of employers to be an infringement?

Define safe. Safe from embarrassment? No. Safe from harm? No. Safe from death? No. Define how safe. Absolutely safe? No. Relatively safe? No. Reasonable safe? No. Safe from unicorns and rainbows? Maybe.

An employer has an obligation to disclose the risk factors in the workplace before someone accepts employment, and then use all commercially reasonable means to ensure that those risks are mitigated to the extent possible. It's inherently unsafe to ride around in a car with blink blinky lights real fast and shoot at gangbangers. They might shoot back. It's inherently unsafe to ride around on a truck with blinky blinky lights and run into buildings that are on fire. It's inherently unsafe to drive around really fast turning left in a big circle and then at some point turn right, that's not safe. It's inherently unsafe to work in a building where steel girders can squish you like a bug. The list is far longer than I have the time to write about.

I don't even subscribe to the notion of workplace negligence. You are responsible for everything you do or fail to do. That includes your persoanl safety. If you don't believe you're safe on the job, you should quit and find another job that meets your risk / reward standards.

And yes, almost all legislation that interferes in a contract between two parties is infringement.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Define safe. Safe from embarrassment? No. Safe from harm? No. Safe from death? No. Define how safe. Absolutely safe? No. Relatively safe? No. Reasonable safe? No. Safe from unicorns and rainbows? Maybe.

An employer has an obligation to disclose the risk factors in the workplace before someone accepts employment, and then use all commercially reasonable means to ensure that those risks are mitigated to the extent possible. It's inherently unsafe to ride around in a car with blink blinky lights real fast and shoot at gangbangers. They might shoot back. It's inherently unsafe to ride around on a truck with blinky blinky lights and run into buildings that are on fire. It's inherently unsafe to drive around really fast turning left in a big circle and then at some point turn right, that's not safe. It's inherently unsafe to work in a building where steel girders can squish you like a bug. The list is far longer than I have the time to write about.

I don't even subscribe to the notion of workplace negligence. You are responsible for everything you do or fail to do. That includes your persoanl safety. If you don't believe you're safe on the job, you should quit and find another job that meets your risk / reward standards.

And yes, almost all legislation that interferes in a contract between two parties is infringement.

Last I checked its dangerous just to be alive; 100% of us will die at some point during our lives.

Top Bottom