• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ok we disagree. We can cease fire. Clearly I do not like our current property tax system (or property taxes period). Nor do I think they are constitutional, but that is another topic…..
    The point is we do not have much disagreement, you took a post or two in a discussion of reality and turned it into a purity test. Get to know folks better here and nuances will be clearer.

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis
    The assessments for single family homes are reasonably correct. The market is determined by supply and demand, but you just stated that they are not free markets because of “vis a vis property tax assessments”.

I do not want any property tax at all. If they have one it should be equal for all. That said Indiania has homestead exemption, should that be done away with?
    I disagree with assessments being mostly correct (I think the rate of error is much higher than you do). I also think the government has had a heavy hand in interest rates, inflation and supply and demand.

I agree, I don’t think we should have property taxes at all. Especially lifelong.

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis
    A member who gets additional accounts to use generally to troll others or use them to create others that agree with them.
    I’m a brand new member. and joined to search for feedback on an alternative smaller pistol to carry. I’m not a shill (thanks for teaching me the definition of this word) I don’t even know anyone who uses this forum. I’m under 45 years old, female (I’m not a feminist) saying because you called me a male earlier. But it’s ok, I left my gender blank so it’s easy to assume.. Other than finding a small concealed carry, property taxes (my aversion to taxation in general) and the woke/esg takeover of our children and schoos, are probably the most important issues to me and obviously my passion for our second amendment.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    How about no property tax at all?
    Certainly up for debate. My problem with property tax on one's primary residence is that it means that one never truly owns his own home. Failure to pay the property tax can and will result in the state taking your primary residence from you. IMHO, such action is in violation of natural rights.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Certainly up for debate. My problem with property tax on one's primary residence is that it means that one never truly owns his own home. Failure to pay the property tax can and will result in the state taking your primary residence from you. IMHO, such action is in violation of natural rights.
    Yes, I agree. It comes down to confiscating property by the govt for failure to tithe to the govt. I agree 100% with the no age qualification, etc. I'm just not sure I agree on the limitation of what you propose to a primary residence.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Since 2010 when Whitestown decided to become a bag of dicks, the wife and I have been fighting one war after another. We’ve been losing for 13 years. Development, assessments, annexations are all things we have been fighting now for 13 ****ing years. I’m tired. I just wanted my little slice of rural life, to be left alone and have a property we could retire on.

Instead we’ve been overrun, annexed and developed. We have had even less say in any of this than we do with assessments. At least there is a process to appeal your tax assessment with the state. There is literally Jack **** you can do about forced annexation by tiny dictators hell bent on creating the next Carmel at all costs.

Sorry… property tax on your home is theft by the state. I understand we need revenue for the betterment of society etc, but even though the wife has been a teacher in Indiana for the last 25 years we have never used the school systems that we’ve paid into for the last 23 years. We still live on a gravel road and have diddly squat for internet services. There’s no cable.

Ok this may be pain killer induced rambling and I apologize. We have the new developers that are building a million square foot warehouse 1/2 mile off our back deck coming to try and minimize the impact it’s going to have on us next week. So I’m a little dark and pissy right now about all things property related

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis
    A member who gets additional accounts to use generally to troll others or use them to create others that agree with them.
    Since 2010 when Whitestown decided to become a bag of dicks, the wife and I have been fighting one war after another. We’ve been losing for 13 years. Development, assessments, annexations are all things we have been fighting now for 13 ****ing years. I’m tired. I just wanted my little slice of rural life, to be left alone and have a property we could retire on.

Instead we’ve been overrun, annexed and developed. We have had even less say in any of this than we do with assessments. At least there is a process to appeal your tax assessment with the state. There is literally Jack **** you can do about forced annexation by tiny dictators hell bent on creating the next Carmel at all costs.

Sorry… property tax on your home is theft by the state. I understand we need revenue for the betterment of society etc, but even though the wife has been a teacher in Indiana for the last 25 years we have never used the school systems that we’ve paid into for the last 23 years. We still live on a gravel road and have diddly squat for internet services. There’s no cable.

Ok this may be pain killer induced rambling and I apologize. We have the new developers that are building a million square foot warehouse 1/2 mile off our back deck coming to try and minimize the impact it’s going to have on us next week. So I’m a little dark and pissy right now about all things property related
    Whitestown really disappointed me too. I lived in a rural area between Whitestown and Zionsville and as soon as that Anson went into place it seems like the corporation feel took over the community. I moved to north side of Indy and I miss the rural area. Carmel and fishers are too developed for what I want and highly priced for a tiny plot of land.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is my philosophy as well. However we also must fight to make the current system work which is largely the topic here.

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I agree and there is no end in sight. Indefinitely it wont stop. I was following this case and pleased at the outcome.

dagny99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    Indianapolis

And even more painful Duke gave many commercial tenants a 10 year tax abatement in Whitestown so the local residents subsidized that deficit

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Whitestown really disappointed me too. I lived in a rural area between Whitestown and Zionsville and as soon as that Anson went into place it seems like the corporation feel took over the community. I moved to north side of Indy and I miss the rural area. Carmel and fishers are too developed for what I want and highly priced for a tiny plot of land.
    1 mile west of 267, just north of fayette. If youve been around here that long think back to what that looked like in 2004 when we built our perfect little house on our perfect little lot. If Id known tyhis is what would happen Id never have built iy

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Want to know why your assessments are rising? This is not rocket science, US population was 281 million in 2000, it is now near 340 million, an increase of 59 MILLION more people need housing than just twenty years ago. We have a housing shortage to house all those people.

“The gap between single-family housing starts and household formations grew from 5.5 million at the end of 2021 to 6.5 million at the end of 2022 as household formations rose and single-family home construction dropped.”

Our market is short 6.5 million homes! That is the market that is raising assessments. The root of all this is unfettered legal and illegal immigration.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I hate taxes in general. But I also understand it takes money to do things.

I like having a paved road, fire and police protection, I used to like the idea of schools for everyone's children, but that is getting pretty iffy. I like having a legal system for civil matters. I like a criminal justice system for dealing with criminals. I like storm water control and sanitary sewers.

I do not mind cooperatively paying for legit expenses such as these. The water does get murky as we look into the hole our taxes seem to try to fill.

Certainly income tax has become extortion. Property tax has become oppressive. Every time our lawmakers meet at every level, they make more tax laws, that take the simple concept and pervert it into more corruption and less benefit to the citizen freeholders.

Taxes are understandable, misuse of tax money negates any positive or logical participation in the system.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Want to know why your assessments are rising? This is not rocket science, US population was 281 Million in 2000, it is now near 340 Million, an increase of 59 MILLION more people need housing than just twenty years ago. We have a housing shortage to house all those people.

“The gap between single-family housing starts and household formations grew from 5.5 million at the end of 2021 to 6.5 million at the end of 2022 as household formations rose and single-family home construction dropped.”

Our market is short 6.5 million homes! That is the market that is raising assessments. The root of all this is unfettered legal and illegal immigration.
    FIFY...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I hate taxes in general. But I also understand it takes money to do things.

I like having a paved road, fire and police protection, I used to like the idea of schools for everyone's children, but that is getting pretty iffy. I like having a legal system for civil matters. I like a criminal justice system for dealing with criminals. I like storm water control and sanitary sewers.

I do not mind cooperatively paying for legit expenses such as these. The water does get murky as we look into the hole our taxes seem to try to fill.

Certainly income tax has become extortion. Property tax has become oppressive. Every time our lawmakers meet at every level, they make more tax laws, that take the simple concept and pervert it into more corruption and less benefit to the citizen freeholders.

Taxes are understandable, misuse of tax money negates any positive or logical participation in the system.
    There often is a utopian aura to the elimination of all taxes I am not sure exists…

Top Bottom