Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Exactly!!!! I live in the county and the nearest fire hydrant is a 1/4 mile away! Our fire dept is VOLUNTARY no wages.
    So the station and equipment at the volunteer fire department are free like mana from heaven? That hydrant a 1/4 mile away could be the difference between losing your house and not, if also just free?

Our houses will burn to the gound.
    There are choices in everything, you could live closer to the fire station or pay more property tax to get a new station near your house.
    Our storm drains empty into a ravine that runs dry!
    Most of those drains are maintained by the county unless private.

Our roads are completely crumbling!
    Elect commissioners that will fix the roads.

The school is tiny and been rebuilt but they continued the expired referendum!
    The voters must have approved it.

All we get is the damn accessor and code enforcement trying to harrass us into more fines ams taxes.
    Elect a better assessor.
    Police are decent thankfully but they are funded mainly from the state and state taxes.
    Where do you get that the police are funded by the state?

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    So the station and equipment at the volunteer fire department are free like mana from heaven? That hydrant a 1/4 mile away could be the difference between losing your house and not, if also just free?

There are choices in everything, you could live closer to the fire station or pay more property tax to get a new station near your house.

Most of those drains are maintained by the county unless private.

Elect commissioners that will fix the roads.

The voters must have approved it.

Elect a better assessor.

Where do you get that the police are funded by the state?
    Are you trying to poke the bear on purpose? You're starting with the facisous jokes now. I can tell you I know for a FACT the county jails recieve state, federal and private funding on top the county funds. MY father is the union president at Lake county. Im not going to respond any more in this thread.

It is insane people lose thier homes they paid for over a tax! We do not own it ever. And i can assure you many many other countries 1st world operate perfectly fine with out a property tax

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I looked for a more comprehensive list but found nothing germane…
    Start attending the monthly county meetings of different county entities. Get involved, influence board members. Ask the tuff questions, tell your neighbors what you learn. Nothing scares an elected county official as much as a concerned citizen sitting right in front of them every meeting. Listening to the plans they have for your money. They are open to the public.

Most counties post meeting minutes on line, along with monthly schedules. JMO

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Are you trying to poke the bear on purpose? You're starting with the facisous jokes now. I can tell you I know for a FACT the county jails recieve state, federal and private funding on top the county funds. MY father is the union president at Lake county. Im not going to respond any more in this thread.

It is insane people lose thier homes they paid for over a tax! We do not own it ever. And i can assure you many many other countries 1st world operate perfectly fine with out a property tax
    Mike is right, you should have a county sheriff. State isn't funding your police, ISP should only be backup / assistance as needed.

But you said it all when you said Lake County... might as well be Illinois at that point!

I recently moved from the suburbs out to the county/rural area and it is exactly as I expected, lower property taxes, less services, crappier roads, etc. And I wouldn't have it any other way.... can't see my neighbors, gate across the drive...

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Maybe read my posts then, I told you explicitly I do not like taxes. Did you not read that? If you don’t know what property tax pay for and have no solution to offer as to who and how those services and benefits should be paid then people are just complaining.

Please show how property tax is unconstitutional. The reality is it is the norm and those of us that believe it encumbers property ownership are in a significant minority of people.

You do realize that the US is still the outlier for freedom of the major countries?

Now who should pay for services and benefits to property if it is not property owners?
    You keep saying people don't know what taxes are for or offer solutions??? We have, many of us have, did younnot read that? You claim you hate taxes yet your going above and beyond advocating for them (property). Read the 14th amendment in whole. And there are other countries that now out pace the US in civil freedoms as they are stripping ours away.

Fourteenth Amendment, Section 1:
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.​

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Mike is right, you should have a county sheriff. State isn't funding your police, ISP should only be backup / assistance as needed.

But you said it all when you said Lake County... might as well be Illinois at that point!
    Wrong, the county sheriff depts all pull funding from MANY sources. My father was a warden at porter county as well many years back. The Jail system is a buisness.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Start attending the monthly county meetings of different county entities. Get involved, influence board members. Ask the tuff questions, tell your neighbors what you learn. Nothing scares an elected county official as much as a concerned citizen sitting right in front of them every meeting. Listening to the plans they have for your money. They are open to the public.

Most counties post meeting minutes on line, along with monthly schedules. JMO
    I have sat in meeting before and they just cut you off and push you out.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You didn’t say jails, you said police.

Why can’t you just answer my question? I have asked you several times, who should pay for and how should the money be collected for services and benefits that directly benefit property?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Wrong, the county sheriff depts all pull funding from MANY sources. My father was a warden at porter county as well many years back. The Jail system is a buisness.
    Jail or police?! You said police, which is what I was responding too...

Screenshot_20240425_223741_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If it's really that bad, you should likely move. I kept my boat at a marina in Lake County for one year... then moved it. Lasted in Porter County for a few years before I saw the light and moved it to La Porte County...

I LOVE my rural county where there are ZERO fire hydrants on my road, on well and septic and our power company is also our ISP with fiber optic service...

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    You didn’t say jails, you said police.

Why can’t you just answer my question? I have asked you several times, who should pay for and how should the money be collected for services and benefits that directly benefit property?
    Um the county jail and the county police are the same thing.

Youre beating a dead horse! I have answered you!!!!

Here's a few! A portion of all these would and should cover it.
    TUITION PAID TO SCHOOLS
    SALES TAX
    FUEL TAX
    LOCAL AND STATE PAYROLL TAX
    REGISTRATION TAX
    SERVICE TAXES ON SERVICE YOU PAY FOR
    BUISNESS TAXES
    ANY AND ALL FINES

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You keep saying people don't know what taxes are for or offer solutions??? We have, many of us have, did younnot read that?
    No there absolutely have not been any specific solutions offered. Please post the post numbers.

You claim you hate taxes yet your going above and beyond advocating for them (property).
    I certainly do not want to pay any taxes if I can get out of it.

Read the 14th amendment in whole. And there are other countries that now out pace the US in civil freedoms as they are stripping ours away.

Fourteenth Amendment, Section 1:
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Were the tax laws not done with due process? You already had a lawyer here tell you this was not applicable to property tax. Someone has to pay for it, who an how?

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Jail or police?! You said police, which is what I was responding too...

View attachment 349090

If it's really that bad, you should likely move. I kept my boat at a marina in Lake County for one year... then moved it. Lasted in Porter County for a few years before I saw the light and moved it to La Porte County...
    You nailed it! Im getting tired of porter county. The only thing keeping me from moving is the housing rates right now.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    No there absolutely have not been any specific solutions offered. Please post the post numbers.

I certainly do not want to pay any taxes if I can get out of it.

Were the tax laws not done with due process? You already had a lawyer here tell you this was not applicable to property tax. Someone has to pay for it, who an how?
    Of course a lawyer would say that bc the amendment tonthe constitution to tax us on "personal property" as "real property." Taking someones home rhat isnpaid off bc they owe a few grand is not justified due process.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have sat in meeting before and they just cut you off and push you out.
    OK, all I can say to that is, that’s not the way it happens in my county. Every citizen has a chance at the mike, the only time you are dismissed is if you are found out of order. And it’s hard to do that if you have a few like minded friends in attendance with you.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    You should learn what your taxes cover, and the pie chart posted here doesn't get into enough detail. The country offices that maintain deeds, the surveyors office, the drainage offices are just a couple that directly benefit your property. Funny how the lack of knowledge on a topic makes it mythical…
    All the item you listed and many other of which I have knowledge charge substantial fees for each and every “service”. As for the drainage office, since I built my home 10 years ago, I’ve thrice requested help clearing jams in the waterway bordering my property. “We’ll check it out” is the canned reply. After no help and several flood events from minimal rainfall, I contacted the DNR directly for permission and instruction to clear the jams myself. Heavy equipment and operator were all on my dime.

I guess you could argue the guy that answered the phone at the DNR was a benefit, but he didn’t check my tax payer status before answering my question.

So yes, in my instance, I’m still in search of return on my property tax investment.

As for lack of knowledge, that was admitted at the outset in my post. I requested a legit listing of real benefits. I could have just stated how everyone else was wrong, but others here have that covered.

Top Bottom