Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You didn’t say jails, you said police.

Why can’t you just answer my question? I have asked you several times, who should pay for and how should the money be collected for services and benefits that directly benefit property?
    Not by perpetually extorting money out of property owners. Go have a bake sale.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I read the article, look at how they talk about having BILLIONS in reserve! That obviously screams over taxation!
    And here is the difference in Indiana and most other states. The state legislature develops and passes a budget, a surplus or reserve means they either received more revenue than expected or was able to spend less than expected, either way most states would have found a way to spend it and not reported it as surplus or reserve.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It bet it would be alot more money lost if they cut state taxes over property tax. 1% of value vs 3.15% of all income.
    I am trying to find a source that had both numbers as it would be interesting to know the impacts. If property tax was replaced with income tax what percentage would need to be added to income to pay for it.

You seem like a young guy, do you realize that if that was implemented you would have an easier time holding on to that property, but it will be much harder to acquire a property because of the taxes reducing your buying ability?

Again, I believe property should be free to own without the threat of government taking it. I also believe people should pay for what benefits them. Many would characterize no property tax and its burden shifted to income tax as “welfare”for property owners, I’m not convinced they are wrong.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All the item you listed and many other of which I have knowledge charge substantial fees for each and every “service”. As for the drainage office, since I built my home 10 years ago, I’ve thrice requested help clearing jams in the waterway bordering my property. “We’ll check it out” is the canned reply. After no help and several flood events from minimal rainfall, I contacted the DNR directly for permission and instruction to clear the jams myself. Heavy equipment and operator were all on my dime.

I guess you could argue the guy that answered the phone at the DNR was a benefit, but he didn’t check my tax payer status before answering my question.

So yes, in my instance, I’m still in search of return on my property tax investment.

As for lack of knowledge, that was admitted at the outset in my post. I requested a legit listing of real benefits. I could have just stated how everyone else was wrong, but others here have that covered.
    I have called county surveyors office a few times and received good service every time. It is interesting the number of complaints from NWI area.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Since we are forced to pay, then 1% of purchase price. Not the ever growing assessments. No more referendums, or anything else imposed.
    So clearly the benefit of this is the locked tax rate forever. A couple of questions and points, if implemented citizens owning the same property could be paying vastly different taxes, the Indiana supreme court has already ruled this is not constitutional in Indiana. Would this be different?

So you have 5 acres you bought for $300,000 in 2014 and your locked tax is $3000 per year. Your son wants to buy a similar 5 acres nearby, for $600,000. Now 1% is no longer enough to cover the budget because the first property is only paying $3000 per year and would be paying $6000 based on market value. The taxes on the son’s property will need to be $12,000 to generate the revenue over time. Then in a few years a guy buying your place from you will be faced with a continuing rising spiral of property tax.

Unless we change things dramatically, not likely, government is going to get what they want, is this a fair distribution of burden for the goal of a locked tax rate forever?

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    And here is the difference in Indiana and most other states. The state legislature develops and passes a budget, a surplus or reserve means they either received more revenue than expected or was able to spend less than expected, either way most states would have found a way to spend it and not reported it as surplus or reserve.
    If they have billions why not pay if forward on next years taxation, do a credit towards something like property tax, or cut a bigger refund back to the constituents base on income tax brackets? That can easily be transferred over and inputted into a program that is automated. Problem solved. People would be happier.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    In all honesty, NWI is an extention of Chicago. Color me surprised...
    I moved to just shy of wanatah thinking i would ecscape the region. My commute is 45mins now which no biggy. The damn regiin keeps.growing east bc people are fleeing the region but bringing their same ole politics with, voting the same!

At first it was nice but it has turned in 5 years

Top Bottom