• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    My wife informed me that yesterday, some property tax surveyors knocked on the door. (Or so they claimed. They had ID and lanyards on, she said.)

The asked her a bunch of questions about our home, peered in the door, then wandered around the yard taking pictures. She answered their questions. Asking how many baths we had, full bath/shower, asked about a gas fireplace they saw when they peeped in the door, etc etc.

We've only been homeowners for about 2 years so this is new ground for me. Is this typical? They claimed it was done every 4 years.

I was intensely annoyed that she answered their questions and opened the door wide enough for them to look around my home. I am also intensely annoyed that they're wandering around in my yard taking pictures. If I was home, I think I would have told them to get lost.

I don't know if a gas fireplace is going to raise my taxes, or a plastic shed that I put up in back, or the fact that one bathroom has a shower or whatever they were asking about. This is intrusive and ridiculous.

If this is standard, how do you guys handle these folks? "Get off my lawn"?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I own the houses on either side of me. A woman comes by one of those continuously. When the house was vacant, I told her no one lived there. She acted like she didn't believe me, asked about the previous tenants by name.
    I think I pissed her off when I wouldn't answer her questions because she wouldn't answer mine.
    Screw them! MAYBE I'd give them some answers if they'd at least be honest with me.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    It is common, and been happening more frequently for Porter Co. Though, they don't HAVE to peek in the windows and browse around the house.

Typically, they'll try to ask their questions, but they do have a door hanger that you can fill out describing the SqFt/Beds/Baths/Garage/Shed/etc...

Ask for that and then ask them nicely to leave the property.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    rosejm said:
    It is common, and been happening more frequently for Porter Co. Though, they don't HAVE to peek in the windows and browse around the house.

Typically, they'll try to ask their questions, but they do have a door hanger that you can fill out describing the SqFt/Beds/Baths/Garage/Shed/etc...

Ask for that and then ask them nicely to leave the property.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to do exactly that next time.

Are these forms compulsory? What if I refused to answer any questions, period?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    That's a good point, Denny. Appreciate the advice, guys. I'll make sure the wife just takes the questionnaire and politely tells them to GTFO next time.

Gotta raise my taxes for that new sports complex or something, I guess. Property taxes are tyranny.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's a good point, Denny. Appreciate the advice, guys. I'll make sure the wife just takes the questionnaire and politely tells them to GTFO next time.

Gotta raise my taxes for that new sports complex or something, I guess. Property taxes are tyranny.

Perhaps a good time to OC while dealing with them. Might encourage them to conclude their business more quickly

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    See, they were obviously undercover state cops :shady:

I've never had one come around, and I'm almost always home, so I'd most likely know. If I did notice one peeking in my windows, there would definitely be an OC encounter, likely with an AR. I'm not much of a question answerer, as the census taker learned to his discomfiture.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I live in the country and hadn't had anyone come to the door. I have seen them drive by slowly taking pics and notes. They are just looking to see if anything changes have been made outside like adding any buildings they can tax you for.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Well these folks were much more aggressive than that. I don't know if they're earning commission on tax increases or what, but it was not cool.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They're using the satellite images much more often these days.

Yeah...this is what I was told our county relies on. We live about 400-500ft off the road, so if somebody did drive by and take pictures, I'd never know it. I can't say if I've ever had anybody come onto the property. If they did, they did it when nobody was at home.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you have a gate (especially one that is locked) across your drive and a no trespassing sign, they cannot enter your property. If it is visible from the road, they can estimate info from what they see. The can use satellite views to estimate building sizes, etc. The last time ours was reassessed, they apparently looked in windows because they have my basement as being a certain percent finished. When I called and asked how they figured this, I wasn't given clear answers. It is a walk out basement so there are windows on one end. I pointed out that there was no carpet or tile on the floors, and they are just painted concrete and not what I consider finished. I also disputed the percentage they said was drywalled, etc. They said in order to dispute it, I would have to let them into my home to prove what was there or not there. I was not letting them in and what they have is probably less than I would end up with otherwise so I let it go.

benzkomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I always argue the increase of my tax value going up. I proof that no modifications have been made and they adjust it a bit. Just a scam if you ask me

Top Bottom