• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Some states want micro stamping on the firing pin so it's imprinted on the fired casing. Another feel good gimmick that won't do anything.

The firing pin already micro stamps the primer of every cartridge you fire.:dunno:

The tooling marks on every firing pin are as unique as a fingerprint, on a microscopic level.

As for serializing the base of a projectile, there are plenty of reasons to oppose that. But the cost to the major manufactures isn't one of them. Adding a laser marking system to a production line is relatively cheap and easy. As with any .gov regulation, it would be a tough pill to swallow for the little guys.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I see the microstamp machine manufacturing folks have spread some cash around in chicago, another opportunity to live large on tax money for no value. They'll have to kick back some extra to the machine of course, but that's expected when you do business there. It really has nothing to do with crime and everything to do with getting rich.

Always follow the money

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The firing pin already micro stamps the primer of every cartridge you fire.:dunno:

The tooling marks on every firing pin are as unique as a fingerprint, on a microscopic level.

As for serializing the base of a projectile, there are plenty of reasons to oppose that. But the cost to the major manufactures isn't one of them. Adding a laser marking system to a production line is relatively cheap and easy. As with any .gov regulation, it would be a tough pill to swallow for the little guys.

How hard is it to change those tooling marks you mention? Would a trip across a bench grinder do it? a few passes with a coarse-grit sandpaper? Or would it simply involve a few bucks to Midway to buy new firing pins to change out, vs. stealing a new gun?

Because, when you get down to it, none of that matters. The criminal is just going to wipe it down, toss the gun, and get a new one, or so the documentaries tell me.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    How hard is it to change those tooling marks you mention? Would a trip across a bench grinder do it? a few passes with a coarse-grit sandpaper?

A fine grit sharpening stone would do it.

But the same could also wipe and "micro stamping" that was put there.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The anti's don't expect for this to actually work as explained. This is just a nose under the tent to regulate and price us out of shooting and consequently owning guns.

Guns are useless without ammo. The anti's are content to play the long game, eventually working us all to "without ammo."

Once they open the door to serializing/taxing ammo, it's the beginning of the end. Think cigarettes.

I agree that they knew the previous proposals would never pass. Their intent only appeared to be about restricting ammo. Wording included a reference to public safety, as always. They want to be able to say "we tried, but those evil conservatives/Republicans stopped us from making our world a safer place".

At the time, there was one company in the USA making the machinery capable of accomplishing the micro-stamping. They were in California.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A fine grit sharpening stone would do it.

But the same could also wipe and "micro stamping" that was put there.

That's true, but as it stands now, you have to have the gun to match it to the case. With an intact​ microstamped serial number, you could find where the gun was sold from the case alone, and start the search for where it ended up.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    All this is so meaningless. Unless the city of Chicago finds a solution to the problem of gangs, there will be no reduction in crime. This proposal is like putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All this is so meaningless. Unless the city of Chicago finds a solution to the problem of gangs, there will be no reduction in crime. This proposal is like putting a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.

Do you really think that the City of Chicago is about to tell anyone to stop spewing out babies outside of intact families?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Do you really think that the City of Chicago is about to tell anyone to stop spewing out babies outside of intact families?
    It doesn't matter. The gangs have the voice and the power in Chicago, not the crooked government. The citizens of Chicago have never, in recent history, had a voice. I don't see any trend for an uprising of morality and law. The same thing is happening in other fairly large cities. The gangs rule, while liberal political leaders dole out more welfare and build bike paths and sidewalks.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    While you guys have been discussing this, I reserved serial numbers 1 through 1,000,000. I have been engraving like crazy, non-stop for days. I can't quite figure out how to do the 22LR yet....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    While you guys have been discussing this, I reserved serial numbers 1 through 1,000,000. I have been engraving like crazy, non-stop for days. I can't quite figure out how to do the 22LR yet....
    I am so relieved knowing that one million crimes will be solved in Chicago by your diligence.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Sort of like tagging migratory birds. You might be able to figure out where they came from, but it doesn't prevent them from doing what they do.

What if it turned out none of the ammunition was coming from NWI? The horror...

Patently silly idea, by patently silly people.

Top Bottom