• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Guess Rinko is gonna own Kirk some more ammo for this one. ;)
    Proposed Texas immigration law contains convenient loophole for ‘the help’ - Yahoo! News

Basically the proposed TX immigration will makes it a crime of up to 2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if you hire illegals UNLESS you hire someone for "household" chores. (ie. maids, lawn service, landscaping, etc..)

The reps even go on to say that they need this expection so their economy continues. :rolleyes:

Hum??? Hum... WH
    smiley-talk034.gif
    :dunno:

Then why bother with the law! It's a pointless, feel good law and it shows a glimpse of the REAL issue which is NOT immigration but money! Always has been, always will be.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Do you really want homeowners going to prison because they hired the "wrong" neighbor kid to mow their lawn? I think it is appropriate to exempt non-businesses from the requirements. For homeowners' sakes.

I don't think homeowners should have to get "Permits" to fix up their own home, and I don't like the idea of making them jump through all kinds of extra hoops to get their lawn mowed either.

It's kind of like FTF gun sales. Government should keep out.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    :+1: to Rambone. I can't imagine having to go through e-verify to prove the kid mowing my lawn is a legal immigrant.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Basically the proposed TX immigration will makes it a crime of up to 2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if you hire illegals UNLESS you hire someone for "household" chores. (ie. maids, lawn service, landscaping, etc..)

I didn't read the law so I don't know if this is totally relevant, but when my in-laws lived in the border city of El Paso it was very common for Mexicans to cross the border and clean houses for gringos as a day labor job. They did not live in the US and they crossed back to Mexico at the end of the day but technically they were illegal workers.

Ditto mowing lawns.

Ditto handyman services.

It may be that is the type of exemption that has been carved out? :dunno: But it doesn't make sense to imprison a homeowner for paying a kid to paint his fence or pay his mom to clean the house.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The exception is to not criminalize odd jobs given provided by homeowners who do not have the ability to check on legal status of the worker. That's a world of difference from companies that mass hire illegals with full knowledge of their status.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Nice of the government to pawn their jobs off on businesses who hire workers. If the government did it's job, there wouldn't be any illegals to hire.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The exception is to not criminalize odd jobs given provided by homeowners who do not have the ability to check on legal status of the worker. That's a world of difference from companies that mass hire illegals with full knowledge of their status.

That should be the difference - full knowledge.

If they did not know, do not hold it against them. If they did know, hold it against them. Or, stay out of it...

If you cannot prove they know, then you cannot prove the crime. Although this places higher burden on enforcing the law, it is the only way that makes sense in America (you know, that land where we are innocent until proven guilty - or so they say).

Those that hire a landscaper with full knowledge of his status is very similar to a company that hires a landscaper with full knowledge of his status.

In either case, making this type of exemption is ridiculous. If my business hires a worker through a temp agency, and they send me an illegal worker, did I just hire an illegal? Why is that different?

Oh, right, because this bill would not gain political traction in Texas without the exemption...

Rep Aaron Pena stated "a large segment of the Texas population" would wind up in prison if the bill became law.

Well, that is likely a reason to not make this law. If that much of your population is breaking a rule - obviously they do not believe it is morally wrong.

Political posturing yet again trumps common sense.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The larger thing this illustrates is the silliness of the state of our law and the state of the proposed laws.

When I lived in El Paso it was very common to hire a Mexican housekeeper/nanny. Many of them crossed over daily or weekly, took care of the cooking, cleaning, and taking care of kids, including teaching them Spanish. Everyone benefitted. Some of these women were sending back money, building a house for their family deep in Mexico. The Americans were getting cheap comprehensive services they couldn't have otherwise afforded. It's called the free market, it's productive, and it's a win/win. There ought to be allowances made for what's reasonable.

The other thing most people don't know is that Mexicans aren't barred from traveling to the U.S. In El Paso, many thousands of Mexicans cross over legally each day. This problem will never be solved the way some want it to be solved.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    [/QUOTE]you hire someone for "household" chores. (ie. maids, lawn service, landscaping, etc..)
    [/QUOTE]

Isn't that what the illegals are doing already, so what is the point. To get rid of the 2% of illegals that aren't in this type of work.. WTF

Top Bottom