Pros and Cons of Registering your firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Assuming this isn't a troll, what possible reason is there for registering a firearm? How about you give us a "pro" and then explain why you think it's true.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    O.K. I'll bite.

The only pro I see is that if your gun is ever stolen and recovered by any police agency anywhere in the country, they can find you and return your gun to you, assuming they will take the time and trouble to do so.

The main con is that EVERY SINGLE TIME in the history of the world that guns are registered, they are confiscated. This happens no matter how much the government promises "We'll never take them away, we just need to know where they are." Confiscation usually happens within 2 years of registration, but it ALWAYS happens.

Doug

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    O.K. I'll bite.

The only pro I see is that if your gun is ever stolen and recovered by any police agency anywhere in the country, they can find you and return your gun to you, assuming they will take the time and trouble to do so.

The main con is that EVERY SINGLE TIME in the history of the world that guns are registered, they are confiscated. This happens no matter how much the government promises "We'll never take them away, we just need to know where they are." Confiscation usually happens within 2 years of registration, but it ALWAYS happens.

Doug

Gun doesn't need to be registered for me to report it stolen.

There are no pro's, not for those interested in maintaining our rights. For those whose interest is to confiscate guns, the pros are obvious. These are the only people for whom registration holds any appeal that I can think of.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm gonna go ahead and lock this thread. It's obvious the OP was trolling as he hasn't seen fit to respond even though he's been online while this discussion has been going on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northside Indpls
    Tracking guns?

Ok, I'll try this again. I wasn't trolling on the registering thread, I'm a city employee and I hear different answers to that question. So how about this: if registering could lead to our guns getting confiscated then where does the info go (the papers you sign) when you buy a new one like at popguns,dons, gander mountain..etc.? What about credit cards? The government could track those also. Just throwing different things out...and again I'm not trolling.;)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If I was the government I wouldn't tell you. I do believe that FFL's hold keep the paperwork. I could be wrong.

Now that we know you aren't trolling, why do you ask?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northside Indpls
    I really just wanted to know what the progun crowd says...like I said on the last post, I work for the city so I hear a lot of pro and anti gun stuff and some of the cops I work with told me that registering is a good idea.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you do register firearms you will only be registering LEGAL guns. Why register them then?

I feel that registration is pushed so they (the government) can take them away later. Say in a hurrican Katrina situation. (When they need them most)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    some of the cops I work with told me that registering is a good idea.

I'm gonna say the same thing I said in the last thread. Please explain why they (or you) think this is a good idea. Why not register my toaster or my lawnmower or my steak knife while I'm at it? For that matter, why not register anything and everything I've ever touched? What's so special about a gun that warrants registration? Because it has the potential to kill? So does everything else I just listed.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Are you aware of the fact that, no matter what registration laws are passed, criminals cannot be prosecuted for violating them? The courts have held that requiring a criminal to register their guns violates their Fifth Amendment rights.

Soooo, registration can have only one purpose, and that is to make it easier for the government to confiscate guns. Which is exactly what has happened in every single place that has required firearms registration.

This is a huge con to anybody who supports the US Constitution.

No pros, all cons.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    If you think you have to register them in case they are stolen, you don't. You should have a list of every gun and it's serial number for that event. Then if it does pop up somewhere and gets run by a LEO you might have a chance of getting it back. I don't even want to get started on forced registration since that is the beginning of the end.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Please explain how you feel registering would help, then I can more clearly see what angle you're coming from.

Thanks!

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I don't know that the OP WANTS to register guns, just "I really just wanted to know what the progun crowd says...like I said on the last post, I work for the city so I hear a lot of pro and anti gun stuff and some of the cops I work with told me that registering is a good idea."

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't know that the OP WANTS to register guns, just "I really just wanted to know what the progun crowd says...like I said on the last post, I work for the city so I hear a lot of pro and anti gun stuff and some of the cops I work with told me that registering is a good idea."

True enough :yesway:

So, in a nutshell, registering does nothing to reduce crime. It does nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. All it does is create hurdles for the generally law-abiding to go through, hopefully deterring law-abiding citizens from owning them. It's just another way they can say "it's good for you" while just taking another one of your rights away.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Let's take this one step further actually. My Grandfather owned a liquor store from 1953 until he retired last year. The store was located in Washington DC. He had 2 guns registered prior to their ban in the 80s. Now, why would someone need a gun in a place that not only are all guns registered but no new handguns can be brought into the city?:rolleyes:

He once told me that every liquor store had at least one gun. Maybe 15% of those stores existed prior to the ban or had the same owner (who could have a gun registered). The fact is that the law-abiding were made into criminals by a policy and law that they KNEW did nothing to deter criminals from getting guns. He told me that EASILY 50% of his customers had guns on them, and not all of them were up to no good either, just trying to protect themselves FROM CRIMINALS. The people who wanted to protect themselves were forced to break a now unconstitutional law, and buy guns from the same criminals they were trying to protect themselves from. Now residents are under some of the most ridiculous and stringent registrations in the country (ballistics testing, crazy cost, months wait, etc.) This has deterred THOUSANDS of people from registering a gun with the police, just as they intend.

If you make people criminals, they may just start acting like them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom