Pros and cons of the xd 45 vs the glock 21.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Just want to get some insight of the pros an cons that I might not be thinking of of the two guns. I have the xd 45 tactical an had a glock 22 but traded it for another 45 cause I don't really like 40. I love my xd and it shoots great. I don't want your opinion on how they look because we all no the glock is ugly but firearms don't need to be pretty they need to get the job done.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I have nothing productive to add, but I'm also curious about opinions on the subject. A friend of mine has an older XD45 and is currently shopping for a 21sf.

Personally I only own a 1911 and have been eyeballing the M&P 45 and 21sf, the XD's just don't feel right in my hands.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have nothing productive to add, but I'm also curious about opinions on the subject. A friend of mine has an older XD45 and is currently shopping for a 21sf.

Personally I only own a 1911 and have been eyeballing the M&P 45 and 21sf, the XD's just don't feel right in my hands.

You'll hate the trigger on the mp. I shot one and it throws your shot off. And I do have the xd and I love it but I was thinking of going to the 21 due to availability of parts and accessories

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The XD's seem to be taller and have a grip similar to a 1911. The Glock sets a bit lower and shoots softer in my opinion. The Glock trumps everybody but the 1911 as far as availability of aftermarket parts.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    XD has a nice feel to it. Trigger leaves a little to be desired, but that could be said about the G21 also.

Between the two, the G21 is certainly the most proven. There are a handful of those out there that probably have more rounds through them than most of the XD's combined.

Another plus for the G21 would be the Glock factory and aftermarket hi-cap mags (if this matters to you).

Both are excellent quality guns. Most XD's I've handled have excellent feel and balance, better than the Glocks IMO.

That being said, I am a Glock fan through and through. The reliability, availability, and proven track record simply cannot be argued.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I have a G21, not a SF gun. 3 years ago, I went to the Indy 1500 intending to purchase a G30 for EDC. I came home with a XD .45 Compact, which is my current EDC. And last year I purchased a XD 45 Compact Tactical.
    PROs of XD: (1) Lifetime warranty (2) Fully supported chamber (3) Standard rifling in the barrel. CONs: (1) Many factory parts are restricted (2) Aftermarket parts not as common as for the G21 (3) Not as many holsters available for this gun.
    G21: PROs: (1) Lighter than an XD, but still very comfortable to shoot (2) Availability of factory & aftermarket parts, holsters. (3) Gun bore axis, sits lower in the hand than an XD. CONs: (1) Hexagonal rifling (2) Not a fully supported chamber (3) Larger grip frame than a XD.
    That being said, I cannot choose between the 2 guns as to which is my favorite. The XD feels better in my hand, but the G21 just shoots great. Both guns are reliable, pleasant to shoot and accurate. And I still have not determined which gun is more accurate! Being blessed, I own and enjoy both guns.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Error, it posted twice But since I can't delete the repeat post...If you already own a XD 45 tactical and decide to purchase a G21, you should NOT be disappointed. Would recommend a G21SF as the frame feels a little better in the hand. I have no experience with the new G21 Gen 4, but these should also be good guns.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've heard stories of XD45s not liking certain kinds of ammo very well, with lots of FTFs and all that, but that is likely to be internet hooey. I don't personally get on with an XD, but that's all subjective.

The G21 is gaining a rep as a pretty solid .45 platform. Pretty solid reliability and the gen 4s fit almost anyone well.

If you don't mind the trigger or are willing to install an Apex or somesuch, the M&P might be a good option; it feels great in my hands, but I've never actually shot one.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I haven't shot the XD .45 acp, but i have shot the XD .40... it shot amazing... If it came down to it, I would probably go with the glock 21, but I am a bit biased since my EDC is a glock 19... Both would do an amazing job.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've heard stories of XD45s not liking certain kinds of ammo very well, with lots of FTFs and all that, but that is likely to be internet hooey. I don't personally get on with an XD, but that's all subjective.

The G21 is gaining a rep as a pretty solid .45 platform. Pretty solid reliability and the gen 4s fit almost anyone well.

If you don't mind the trigger or are willing to install an Apex or somesuch, the M&P might be a good option; it feels great in my hands, but I've never actually shot one.
    '

The M&P might be the best feeling and handling .45 ACP pistol out there. I genuinely like mine and it took the place of my G21 for nearly a year as I shot it exclusively in IDPA. The only downside of the M&P45 is it's 10+1 capacity when compared to the G21 and the XDm45. The G30 holds as many rounds as the M&P45 in a smaller package. But the M&P does give you a very low bore like the Glock with some great ergonomics and a great feeling gun. The trigger is subjective since some like it and others hate it. I personally prefer Glock, M&P and XD in that order but all 3 are fantastic options.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It doesn't hurt anything that the M&P might be the best looking striker-fired gun out there. ;)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just want to get some insight of the pros an cons that I might not be thinking of of the two guns. I have the xd 45 tactical an had a glock 22 but traded it for another 45 cause I don't really like 40. I love my xd and it shoots great. I don't want your opinion on how they look because we all no the glock is ugly but firearms don't need to be pretty they need to get the job done.

Both the XD45 Tactical and the Glock 21 are good handguns.

I had a Glock 21 for 15+ years, then I handled an XD45 in my LGS.

The XD45 felt better in my hand, so I bought one.

As soon as I fired the XD45, I found it had a more natural point of aim for me.

I sold the Glock 21 to a friend.

I then bought an XD45 Tactical and recently sold the XD45 I initially bought.

I still own other Glocks and they're good handguns too.

So shoot them BOTH, and get what works best for you.

Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I preferred Glock in general to XD..... Then I shot an XDM 45.

Now, I vastly prefer the XDM to Glock. Match grade trigger, match grade barrel, and all the swag that comes with the XDM.

And, for the money, the XDS is a big bore EDC game changer.

jdfast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    SW Indy
    When it was between the XD and the Glock i chose the Glock. I gave it another chance again between the XD and the M&P and I chose the M&P. I love the look of the XD, the quality, and the price. I just can't get over the grip safety and the ergonomics.

Top Bottom