• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I've got a bad combination brewing, the itch for a new knife and the funds at the same time. Was thinking about an infidel, but i have no real use for it. I'm into stuff i can be some what rough with anyway. I'm a benchmade guy normally, but this collaboration caught my eye. The protech sng. Does anyone have any experience with it yet? Paging brad ...

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I'm definitly no expert, but I felt like it looks like you would lose the "ruggedness" of the strider frame lock fin exchange for a liner lock... I was briefly intrigued.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The Protech locks up pretty good IMO. It's got some kick when opening too. I have a Protech/Emerson CQC7 tanto camo. Sturdy knife. If you like the $trider shape then go for it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I've got a bad combination brewing, the itch for a new knife and the funds at the same time. Was thinking about an infidel, but i have no real use for it. I'm into stuff i can be some what rough with anyway. I'm a benchmade guy normally, but this collaboration caught my eye. The protech sng. Does anyone have any experience with it yet? Paging brad ...

I'm a direct dealer with both Protech and Strider, so it's difficult being critical about a product that comes from companies that support me, but here is my honest opinion.

The Protech SnG is a very cool knife, but it's a Protech with the Strider price tag. Protech does all of the manufacturing, and the only thing that is Strider about it, is the Strider SnG look, and the Strider name/logo that is on it. Nothing about it from a materials viewpoint justifies the price.....the back handle isn't even titanium (Strider's use a titanium frame lock design)....it's stainless steel. I handled these at this year's Blade show, and I just couldn't pull the trigger on buying these. They do come close to the Strider feel in the hand (a little heavier due to the stainless steel back handle), but again, the price point was the deal breaker for me. I talked with Dave, the owner of Protech, and he told me that one of the reasons for the price point was the amount of machine time involved in manufacturing this knife. He said it required more machine time than any other knife that they have ever manufactured. The more machine time it takes to manufacturer a knife obviously translates to a higher manufacturing cost, and the final price tag. Even with the additional manufacturing cost due to increased machine time, I just don't see this knife being priced at two times more than most of the regular Protech models. You can get a lot of the regular Protech models with basically the same materials for half the price, and even less. IMO.....if you want a Protech, buy a regular Protech model. If you want a Strider, then buy a Strider. :twocents:

Note: It's not a liner lock. It is a button/plunge lock.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom