• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Since I became a father in '09 this has been my biggest fear. I have the training to protect myself, but how do I protect my child? I've tried to do research on this, but all I find is protection for toddler age and up. Ya know, them expensive gimmicky bags that go over the child's upper body and has a battery powered pump? First of all, relying on a battery powered pump to provide my youngin with clean air is frightening. There is also the idea of building an expedient NBC "safe room", but that's not practical nor "expedient". My only thought is to flee, but that can be extremely dangerous as well. So what is the best I can do to protect my family?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Well, if you've eliminated all possible answers, you're not giving much room for responses. Build a dedicated safe room, why does it have to be "expedient." You'll need shielding for radiation threats, air filtering for all NBC threats and some way to decontaminate. For a two year old, a gas mask is not likely to work well. The powered hoods are the next best option for that age.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if its not possible to safely flee the area in time, then I recommend having ONE room in your house that you have designated your safe room. you should already have food and water stored in that room, as well as a means of washing (decontaminating) and then placing all potentially contaminated clothing into sealed bags and changing into fresh clothes. (this is also the proper procedure from radioactive fallout from a dirty bomb for example). also you should already have pre-cut heavy duty plastic sheets cut to duct tape to the walls and floor and ceiling, or at minimum around windows, vents, fireplace, and doors to seal off the room from the outside. I would recommend a emergency radio so you can listen to health instructions and potential rescue instructions also. also you should (in case of an attack) turn off your water in main line and your gas line to the house. and shut off the air conditioning and heating at minimum, but I would turn off ALL power.

there's lots of info and many courses of action you can take to prepare for this scenario. type of chemical or radioactive attack will make certain changes to your actions, as well as timing and proximity to the epicenter. the biggest thing I can recommend in ANY emergency is to stay calm and try to keep your heart rate and breathing within normal levels. this CAN be done with practice. your mind is very powerful if you know how to use it. but you should also keep the kids calm and make it like a camping adventure. also the very first thing you should do is develop a household emergency plan for all types of disaster from fire to flood, to tornado, to a home invasion to a nuclear disaster. then make back up plans. Then routinely practice practice practice (rehearse) until it becomes ingrained in all of you. make it fun for the kids, but also stress the importance.

i didn't lay out everything you should do above, but hopefully it will give you ideas and get you started. Im no expert nor do I know it all but even I could write a whole book (although im no writer) on subjects like this, so theres lots to learn for sure. thumbs up to you for being aware and refusing to allow your family and yourself to be a victim! I'm always encouraged to see more and more people getting prepared.

Last edited:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    yea, I also was checking for my 3 year old about a month back and there are gas masks for kids that I seen. Anyone know what age they consider kid? It never showed age requirements or pic of them being worn.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    yea, I also was checking for my 3 year old about a month back and there are gas masks for kids that I seen. Anyone know what age they consider kid? It never showed age requirements or pic of them being worn.

It is pretty hard to breath throw a gas mask, you have to work at it. I would think at least age 6, and 8 or 9 would be better suited.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    . i didn't lay out everything you should do above, but hopefully it will give you ideas and get you started.

:D Nope , you didn't tell 'em what a real PITA it is to properly set up and run (very messy) a decon station .

It can be done "on the cheap" with a little "know how" and time but even trained soldiers screw it up .

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Fortunately, the Marines trained me pretty well including advanced training for NBC attacks as well as working in areas of a potential threat. Hope i never have to don my mopp gear ever again. I must not be fortunate as most considering that i dont have a designated "NBC safe room". Nor do i have any plans of trying to stick it out in a mobile home during a time of crisis.

I guess what i am really looking for is folks who have families and have a solid plan. Some insight would be great.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Fortunately, the Marines trained me pretty well including advanced training for NBC attacks as well as working in areas of a potential threat. Hope i never have to don my mopp gear ever again. I must not be fortunate as most considering that i dont have a designated "NBC safe room". Nor do i have any plans of trying to stick it out in a mobile home during a time of crisis.

I guess what i am really looking for is folks who have families and have a solid plan. Some insight would be great.

what are you really looking for? you have been given solid tips. no one here is gonna lay their personal plans out for you. just not gonna happen. opsec, eh Marine.

if an attack happens you might have to stick it out in your trailer depending, so you had better get ready. your living room or a back bedroom might have to become your "safe room", but you should have made it pre-designated. I recommend you look up some info on the DHS website or even the red cross regarding this area. If you want someone to help you form a plan for you and yours then directly ask for it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Do a web search for "Nuclear War Survival Skills" by Kearny. Good info on various types of expedient shelters and, IIRC, DIY air filtration systems, etc. If the OP is in a trailer home (also known in some circles as "a tornado magnet") he would be well advised to either find another dwelling or construct a nearby emergency shelter.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    i had already told you to go to DHS or red cross for the same info. gee, wiz, where do you live so I know to stay far away from you if disaster hits. besides I thought you were already an expert due to the military? lol

I thought to be an expert in the Military you had to have gone to Mackall?!
    And everybody else is just Amateurs...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom