• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Columbus
    During a extended power outage in the event backup heat sources are not enough I am looking for thoughts to prevent freezing damage. My current ideas are
    -shut off city water supply outside of house with t handle tool
    - drain pipes by opening lines
    -use rv antifreeze in p traps

what am I missing?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I built my house I added a valve and an air fitting to the supply side lines. Because I heat with wood and sometimes go away for several days it's important to me to not have to deal with freezing. I blow air through the lines with all taps open (and then leave them open) including the water heater and then antifreeze the drains/toilet.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    During the blizzard of '78 we put a small metal tub of burning charcoal under our crawlspace. We had a 36" height and plenty of wind was blowing through it. Of course we kept an eye on it all the time. I do remember our house was the only one on the block that didn't have the pipes freeze.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When I built my house I added a valve and an air fitting to the supply side lines. Because I heat with wood and sometimes go away for several days it's important to me to not have to deal with freezing. I blow air through the lines with all taps open (and then leave them open) including the water heater and then antifreeze the drains/toilet.

That's a really good idea. I have a plastic water line that I put in from my house back to my garden that's only a foot or so deep and connects from a hose bib. I unhook that each fall and blow it out with my compressor, but I might just add a fitting to be able to blow out my house lines too, in case I need to. I guess, if a guy just put in a valve with a drain line on the water line just above the main shut-off, you could shut off the main, let it drain through the drain line, then put in some air at an outside faucet to blow out what doesn't drain out.

Top Bottom