• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Hey Folks,
    I have been shooting since 1966 in one form or another and competitively for a few years now and have finally been giving thought to some "purpose driven eye protection". I've always just wore my Cool-Rays or safety glasses but I think I want some "yellow" shooting glasses and/or purposeful eye protection for only shooting . Can you steer me towards what to look for?? I understand the lens can throw you off a bit by distorting the way you see thru it, in some eye wear. (??)
    Any and all help greatly appreciated!!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx Ryan. I'll bet they are.
    But do you know anything about the lens or what to look for. I'm not looking to cut into my ammo money to heavily.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I shoot in my everyday Oakley sunglasses most often. They are polarized which is very nice. If it is a bit overcast I usually just use cheap hardware store safety glasses. I do have a pair of yellow tinted safety glasses, which are great, but its almost always sunglasses.

I did have a pair of Remington Ducks Unlimited shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses that were nice, but the clip, on the nose bridge, that held the lenses broke making them more of a hassle than a help.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Excellent. I will do some reading. I appreciate all the help. Shooting season starts in less than two weeks!! :draw:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I can't add much other than to also endorse Oakley's as well. I finally tried a pair and after using them every day as sunglasses and as shooting glasses I'll never buy another brand again. I've hit their Oakley Stores in malls, particularly in the Opry Mills Mall where they have an Oakley Vault. They have incredible deals on clearance and close-out/discontinued models at incredible prices. My last pair, discounted plus December 26th sale pricing, got me a normally $150.00-ish pair for $41. Normal sale prices on some are in the $75-$95 range saving you considerable coin so if you are ever in the Nashville, TN area hit the mall and then hit that store!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx for the tip Dawg. I know Oakley is very highly rated but, just dropping that kind of coin on a piece of plastic, well, is hard to swallow. But $41.00 is something I could take. At least without heartburn. :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanx for the tip Dawg. I know Oakley is very highly rated but, just dropping that kind of coin on a piece of plastic, well, is hard to swallow. But $41.00 is something I could take. At least without heartburn. :)

Just watch out because there is an insanely cute girl that works the counter! She may have had as much to do with me picking up my first pair as the quality of the product LOL :D If nothing pans out at the NRA convention I may have to see about stopping by and picking up my 3rd pair. The great thing about Oakey...they are the real deal, but be warned because once you go there you'll have a hard time going back! I'd be prepared for about an $80 drop, and while that does sound pricey, I'd do it again no 2nd thoughts.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

People have no problem paying $600 for a Glock. :dunno: :):

I'm also looking at some option for a new pair of sunglasses.I got a new one last week but the frame cracked today (not Oakleys). :n00b:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im a firm believer in the ESS Suppressor model. The Supressors are made specifically for wearing under muffs so that they dont cut into your head and cause fatigue/pain. (very thin frames) I wore my TacSports pretty much all day at an appleseed and the Suppressors were awesome with minimal fatigue. Any others would have been cutting into my noggin after an hour or so giving me a headache and distracting me.

Suppressor - ESS Products - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

And just buy the sets. I tried to cheap out and buy exactly what I wanted which was one frame, two lenses. By the time I found a good hard case to fit I wasted more time than the money I saved skimping out on the second frame.

Phoenix1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Greenwood

I used to think the same thing, but they are top quality. The lenses bring out amazing clarity.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Im a firm believer in the ESS Suppressor model. The Supressors are made specifically for wearing under muffs so that they dont cut into your head and cause fatigue/pain. (very thin frames) I wore my TacSports pretty much all day at an appleseed and the Suppressors were awesome with minimal fatigue. Any others would have been cutting into my noggin after an hour or so giving me a headache and distracting me.

Suppressor - ESS Products - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

And just buy the sets. I tried to cheap out and buy exactly what I wanted which was one frame, two lenses. By the time I found a good hard case to fit I wasted more time than the money I saved skimping out on the second frame.

I bought the kit with 3 lenses and 2 frames in the hard case at the NRA convention last year and I love them. You're absolutely right about the comfort of the Suppressor frame!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have a pair of dedicated shooting glasses. I had been wearing my prescription glasses (I'm nearsighted) with safety goggles over them because I was taught that regular eyeglasses were not sufficient.

I ordered a pair online with prescription polycarbonate lenses and a 3M model A2000 safety eyeglass frame. They cost about $80.

The frame comes in two sizes and three colors. I usually wear a men's frame, so I got the larger one. 3M A2000 Eyeglasses

Top Bottom