• DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Proteq Firearms Academy, Brazil, Indiana – DanVoils with Neo46121

sign.jpg

On September 11th, 2012 my fiancé Mindy and I met Neo46121 at Proteq Firearms Academy north of Brazil Indiana for some "Recoil Therapy" and a "GSR infusion". (Low GSR has been attributed to Liberalism and bad decisions in presidential elections. A steady infusion is INGO approved.) Neo is a member there and asked us to come check it out. It was very easy to find and we got there about 4:30. Parking was ample and well graveled. Proteq is privately owned and operated by Don Brannan on 60 acres. It’s not a massively huge place but serves its purpose very well with four different ranges; a Cowboy Action Range, a Law Enforcement / Military Range, the Main Range and a Private Training Range. We were going to the Main Range. Proteq has been around for over thirty years with a $20 annual membership fee and is open seven days a week from 8 am to 8 pm or dusk, whichever arrives first. Safety and proper shooting etiquette is reinforced throughout the facility.

rules-board.jpg

rules.jpg

ptr.jpg

The Main Range has 3 yard to 400 yard shooting lanes with a seperate shotgun area. The 300 and 400 yard lanes are restricted and special permission must be granted to use them. We mainly used the 10 to 100 yard lanes. The shooting booth has a concrete bench with carpeting and solid stools. There are two positions with proper sand bags, brass deflectors and spotting scopes. There’s also loaner hearing protection, target outlines, target paper, staplers, tarps for brass and some basic tools to work on items if needed. There are multiple 4 x 8 metal topped tables for staging as well as a couple of portable shooting benches. Proteq has steel targets located throughout the facility and has spray paint in the main booth to give them better contrasting against the backstops. Armor Piercing or Ferrous Core ammunition is not allowed on the property to keep the steel usable.

no-ap.jpg

I had visited the website the night before and downloaded the waiver / range releases and went over the rules. Having already filled out the releases I knew that our first visit was free as a guest of an active member. All we had to do was go to the basement door on the back of the main house and put the releases in the container.

website.jpg

registration.jpg

reg-bucket.jpg

From there it was a quick trip down the lane to the shooting booth. A couple of other people were already there and we chatted a bit before getting the gear out. It had been a good while since Mindy had shot so we let her put some rounds through the 10/22, the Taurus .38 revolver and the 9mm Carbine. After that we got out the steel targets from Bobcat, gave them a quick coat of fresh paint and put them on the lanes to receive a good drumming! We brought and shot a varied amount of weapons. We had an AR-15, a Mosin Nagant, a gen 4 Glock 17, a Ruger Mini-14, a Ruger 10/22, a Taurus 9mm, a Taurus Model 85 .38 special, a Mossberg 500, a Remington 870, and a 9mm Carbine. I had my Smith 3914 on my hip but didn’t shoot it. I also brought a bunch of my camera and video gear. I focused more on the video than the still pictures as I wanted to shoot more firearms than pictures. I do have remote shutter releases so all safety rules were followed.

parking.jpg

warning.jpg

throwers.jpg

throwers-2.jpg

toys.jpg

mindy-1.jpg

mindy-2.jpg

mindy-3.jpg

We started out shooting the 4 circle dueling tree with the handguns then went to the 10 inch round plate popper with the handguns then the AR. On a whim we then went back to the dueling tree with the shotguns. Neo kicked my butt twice in a row. In my defense I was using an 18.5" barrel and he was using a 26" barrel. We were shooting at 15 yards. Then we took Sponge Bob out to 100 yards and put some freckles on him with the AR-15 and Mini-14. The rifle jack was calling to us so we put it out at 75 yards and walked it around a bit. We did a little different type of competition where we tried to hit it without moving it. Not as easy as it seems. You have to hit it low and in the tall grass it’s tough to do. A bit of sprawl or fragments took out the camera tripod but thankfully not the camera. Afterwards we went back to the 100 yard backstop with a paper target so Neo could check his scope out. He put 3 rounds down range from the Mosin in a decent group considering his scope wasn’t 100% sighted in.
    Since the sun was dropping behind the trees pretty quickly we got the IPSC target out and put it at 30 yards for Mindy to shoot with the 9mm Carbine. Neo then tried out my Glock on the dueling tree and the IPSC target. I think both of them found new items for their Christmas wish list! Neo was wearing his Shooter’s Ear hearing protection and I was so impressed that I’m getting me a set. I have a few more Bobcat targets to try out so a return trip looks to be in the near future.
    Proteq Firearms Academy is a well-kept secret. They do different competitions and training classes throughout the year mostly on the weekends. We didn’t shoot any clays or pigeons as I forgot them at home. Proteq has 4 throwers permanently mounted for public use and the other gentlemen there were using them. The place was very clean and well kept as Don lives on the property and keeps a close tab on the range and parking area For $20 a year it’s well worth the drive from Indy. You can find them on the web at proteq.us

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    BTW if you've not taken the time to watch the video I hope you will. It has a lot of different camera angles and the like. Hopefully you'll enjoy it!
    Dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    This was a great photographic review of ProTEQ. This is where I go to shoot, and Don Brannan really is a great guy. In my conversations with him he has mentioned that training is available through the range, not just shooting time. However, I am rather miffed that this range is getting such a good write-up as it means I will have more competition in getting a turn at the line. :D

bushcf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Great Range!

I've shot out at Don's range for about the last 5 years. I recently joing the Riley CC so have gone there more in the last few months, because it is closer drive. But's ProTeq is a superb range, just follow the rules. You got to love the $0.50 drink in the fridge on the range.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe one of these days I will have a chance to drop in again but it isn't easy with all of life's busy distractions and living 2 1/2 hours away. Don certainly is a great person--always has been, and when I say always, that means as in I cannot remember not knowing him.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    This was a really fun trip to the range! My only regret was bumping my scope out of zero before the video was shot

Last edited:
    Top Bottom