• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Still leaves the question open, since it is a state crime (in additional to federal) to own an unregistered MG (my understanding), can a local cop ask for the paperwork?

Since I have no desire to make an acquaintance with silver bracelets or have my toys confiscated I would voluntarily show it to them if asked. My personal opinion.

rrmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Avon
    It is a federal crime, and a state crime. If you don't think that an officer can or will check you just get in his face and refuse. Just bring along lots of bond money. Just because a few officers working off duty at the 1500 didn't want to mess with you don't get the wrong idea. I know lots of officers that are well versed in state and federal laws concerning firearms. You can count on Conservation Officers knowing the law. If you are out shooting and are approached by an officer just show your stamp. Hell he will probably ask to shoot it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Pump your brakes there rrmark. I suggested that one should present papers if asked by a LEO. I also stated (and will continue to stand by my comment) that most, probably 90% or more, local LEO wouldn't know a Form1 or Form4 if they saw it. I know a LOT of officers ;) and save for the ones who own NFA, none really understand the legalities to begin with, let alone being able to recognize a form. This is not a bash, but simply an observation....

rrmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Avon
    I agree to some extent. I knew officers that could care less. Some could just qualify with their firearms. Most of the officers that I trained were pretty sharp. Then some couldn't find there way to the jail. I just read here how some people bring trouble on themselves.
    Any law enforcement officer can enforce federal law. And under Indiana law you could be arrested for Resisting Law Enforcement for refusing to show your federal tax stamp if asked to produce one.
    I just hate to see someone bring undue trouble on themselves.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I shrank mine done to the size of a business card then laminated it. It's hard to read without a magnifier. But a LEO hopefully will recognize it and I will not have to return home and get the full size copy.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I just hate to see someone bring undue trouble on themselves.
    Agreed, even worse when someones going outa thier way to TRY & get somebody else in trouble, esspecially when it has 0 effect towards thier well being.
    I find it entertaining to say the least, that the off duty rollers didnt give Mr tattle tale the time of day :laugh:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Hey samot, I don't recall ever telling you about why I was having a conversation with IMPD about the gun.. Did I just forget? Before you start violating my rule#1 maybe you should at least ask me about the conversation I referenced and who started it. Choose your words carefully buddy because if you keep up at this speed, I'll give you the hammer permanently.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No. I was asked by an officer friend of mine about buying a GSG and making it an SBR. He said that he saw one for sale that included a stock, but that the gun was a pistol. I exlained the process and how to go about it. The conversation evolved into what would happen if one slapped the stock on there without a form1. They said that they figured if that situation ever came up while in the course of their duties, they would probably have to call a detective in. It was pure happenstance that we had the conversation at the 1500.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Actually there was a guy walking around a 1500 earlier in the year with a non-registered SBR trying to sell it. He was informed by a few dealers and patrons that he was violating the law and refused to believe them. Uniformed officers were contacted and advised of the situation to stop any illegal sales, however the officers were not familiar with the NFA process and did not understand how it was illegal.

One must understand that the LE that work in cities are not exposed to these types of weapons and the owners of these weapons as often as rural officers. This comes from both the fact that most NFA owners are rarely involved in issues that require the police and that a lot of NFA owners live in rural areas and shoot outside of town limits.

Understand also that NFA rules are not covered in training and only officers that have had run ins with NFA items or own them would even be exposed to the laws. Most officers that are issued NFA weapons do not realize that they carry a special set of rules and laws, think all officers are issued the same type of weapon, or see them only as a tool.

We have asked to start training officers in NFA weapons and procedures, however like everything in LE, if it take officers off the street, causes OT or they have to set through something they are not interested in, it will not happen.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    No. I was asked by an officer friend of mine about buying a GSG and making it an SBR. He said that he saw one for sale that included a stock, but that the gun was a pistol. I exlained the process and how to go about it. The conversation evolved into what would happen if one slapped the stock on there without a form1. They said that they figured if that situation ever came up while in the course of their duties, they would probably have to call a detective in. It was pure happenstance that we had the conversation at the 1500.

uh ya .....
    I must be really confused, because this post is totally different then your other post
    this post talks about a pistol, & a stock to fit the pistol for sale
    Your other post said "illegal SBR for sale"
    not possible constructive intent for sale.
    But for sake of getting the " hammer permanently" for disagreeing with you on a discussion forum, i will not dare dable any further into this conversation. :ingo: :welcome:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN

uh ya .....
    I must be really confused, because this post is totally different then your other post
    this post talks about a pistol, & a stock to fit the pistol for sale
    Your other post said "illegal SBR for sale"
    not possible constructive intent for sale.
    But for sake of getting the " hammer permanently" for disagreeing with you on a discussion forum, i will not dare dable any further into this conversation. :ingo: :welcome:

It would appear that the guy was selling a pistol and a stock to go on the pistol as a package. This could be constructive intent to posses a pistol and have a stock that could be easily installed thus making it an SBR. If the proper paperwork is not filled it is an illegal SBR.

Samot, if you reread and comprehend what VUPD just said, you will understand

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    As I understand it, but my google-fu is weak and cannot prove it, some dude was hammered by the ATF for selling a GSG MP5 clone with a stock and because the thread had pictures he received "intent to manufacture" penalties...

It is stupid, but I think it happened.

Top Bottom