• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Is it possible to get a damn barrel nut off of a PSA factory built upper barreled assembly? IDK what the hell they use but I've been working my ass of trying to break this one loose. Tried heating it up even and can't even get it to budge.

Has anyone else had a go at one of these?

Edit: I guess I should mention that it's one of their free float barrel nuts that has flats on the end to put a wrench on it. I used a big crescent wrench.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Put a torch to it till it starts to smoke. I think they use red loctite just like cmmg does
    Yeah IDK what they use. I've read somewhere that they claim not to use loctite. I did heat it up but not torch heat. I've also seen some suggest freezing it so i'm gonna try that route next I guess. It's chilling in the freezer at this very moment. Gonna give it another go tomorrow when I get home from work.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Do you have a solid wrench you can fit over the nut? If so, try heating the nut evening with a torch. Slip your wrench over it then give the wrench a couple sharp taps with a hammer. I would replace the nut after you get it off.

KagA152

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Freetown
    The older ones had red loctite on them. I did one that was received from them a few weeks ago and it didn't have any loctite. I would drown the barrel nut with brake clean, it will break up the loctite

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    UPDATE: Found the secret. Freeze it. Stuck it in the freezer over night and it broke loose with minimal effort when I got home from work today. I was'nt getting anywhere when I tried to heat it up yesterday.

It doesn't appear that there was any loctite or grease or anything for that matter. They must have a gorilla torquing down their barrel nuts.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    UPDATE: Found the secret. Freeze it. Stuck it in the freezer over night and it broke loose with minimal effort when I got home from work today. I was'nt getting anywhere when I tried to heat it up yesterday.

It doesn't appear that there was any loctite or grease or anything for that matter. They must have a gorilla torquing down their barrel nuts.

That's one I will have to remember, Thanks

tca1352

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Buddy of mine went thru same issue last week. He called a local shop, and was told for $50 they would remove it. He declined the offer. Took it to Grey Wolf and they removed it free of charge.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Freezing/heating can be interesting. Aluminum expands more and heats more easily than steel too. So your upper was actually getting tighter to the nut with heat. So, you go the other way and cool it. The aluminum shrinks more than the steel.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Freezing/heating can be interesting. Aluminum expands more and heats more easily than steel too. So your upper was actually getting tighter to the nut with heat. So, you go the other way and cool it. The aluminum shrinks more than the steel.
    Exactly. Worked like a charm in this case.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Wow! On a different note, in a recent project on a PSA upper, I could have taken the barrel nut off with a channel lock pliers, it was very loose! First example I've seen that needed a shim to get it on correctly.
    Glad you got the nut off! What a pain in the butt!

Top Bottom