• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Remember the big pissing match over floor jacks between Harbor Freight and Snap-On a few years ago? Snap-On was selling the same product out of the same factory with different paint and decals for twice as much. The case was settled out of court, apparently to HF’s satisfaction:

https://biztimes.com/snap-on-harbor-freight-settle-floor-jack-case/

I’ve bought occasionally from HF but know and avoid junk tools when I see them, no matter where they’re made.

Interesting, wondering if HF threatened to publicly & widely push the claim that SnapOn's jacks were made in China, etc and SnapOn backed down due to that.

Kind of turned SnapOn's argument right back at them.

Harbor Freight argued Snap-on “tried to exploit patriotic leanings of some customers.”
    “Believing that many consumers prefer jacks made in the United States—and will not pay $550 to $650-plus for jacks made in China—Snap-on has deceptively and repeatedly told consumers that the FJ200 and FJ300 are ‘assembled in the USA,’” the Harbor Freight counter claim says.
    Snap-on denied the Harbor Freight allegations, but did acknowledge some parts for the jacks are made in China.
    Harbor Freight also alleged Snap-on’s jacks were made in the same factory as the Harbor Freight ones and the company’s business model is what caused a higher price. Snap-on denied those allegations in its response.

While the settlement “is confidential, what we can say is that we’re pleased with the outcome. We’re continuing to sell the Daytona jack and did not have to make any payment to Snap-On,” said Karen Denne, a Harbor Freight spokesman.

A Snap-on spokesman said the company had no comment on the settlement.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I buy nitrile gloves from them. Both the 7 mil and 5 mil thicknesses. And once I bought some zip ties from them.

And here is the biggie; I bought their 10" overhead arm wet tile saw. Yes the power is not great so I have to keep a fresh blade on it and feed it at the rate the blade will take, but it will do all I need it to do.

By the time I'm done with my tile work, I could throw it away and be money ahead. But I will still sell it.:)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I buy nitrile gloves from them. Both the 7 mil and 5 mil thicknesses. And once I bought some zip ties from them.

These are the items I buy all the time from them. They have the most inexpensive zip ties I have found and their thicker Nitrile gloves are pretty good for working in the garage changing oil, etc. Of course, I'm guessing those are all out now. I know HF sent several emails saying they were providing supplies to hospitals, etc during this. Pretty much disposable stuff is what I buy from them. My wife gets some handtools for her business from them, such as wire/bolt cutters that she uses to cut wire stakes on signs for example. I believe they have had to replace them a few times and HF does so for free. They have a couple of pairs and replace as needed. Again basically disposable stuff.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I shop there as the needs arise but do your diligence. Don't buy a set of sheet metal jack stands and try to hold up an F-350 with them.
    I bought a nice inverter genny there a couple of weeks ago. But I looked at the stats and how folks used/liked them. I have a 6" belt sander I bought there. It does what I require of it. Some drop lights and steel scales. Things that will not kill me if improperly used.

We had one of those light weight aluminum race jacks in the race trailer. I worked for what we needed but great care was taken in it's use. It went with the trailer as did the air compressor also a HF item.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Could it be possible that the brighter among us are using these low rent stands that are barely up to holding a golf cart........on things like the Dodge Ram.
    The rating is what it is. If it says it’s rated for 3, 6, or 12 tons it should ***damn hold 3, 6, or 12 tons. But yeah. If you are going to trust your life to something you don’t skimp with cheap ass ****.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I've bought quite a bit of stuff from harbor freight. Their paint sprayers are disposable, and do a great job when you can get them for like 15 bucks OTD. Forget what else I've gotten from their, I believe some of their T handle allens...Good stuff can be had there for sure...and if I break it, they'll replace it or I'm out like 10 bucks.

For their tools, they're mostly what I have in my motorcycle tool kit too :D

Top Bottom