• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Not going into a lot of details, but having serious issues with safeco on an RV claim after storm damage.

Finding out no shops are wanting to deal with them which says a lot.

Been with them 20+or- years.

Summarizing my experience here in case anyone is thinking about going with them or has them already to think twice.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Not going into a lot of details, but having serious issues with safeco on an RV claim after storm damage.

Finding out no shops are wanting to deal with them which says a lot.

Been with them 20+or- years.

Summarizing my experience here in case anyone is thinking about going with them or has them already to think twice.
    Same experience with Allstate.

Home and Auto damage.

Nobody wants the work because of Allstate. They are also playing games with the inspections.

Signs up at businesses saying they won't do work for Allstate customers.

Thanks for the heads up because I am now shopping for new Insurance.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Same experience with Allstate.

Home and Auto damage.

Nobody wants the work because of Allstate. They are also playing games with the inspections.

Signs up at businesses saying they won't do work for Allstate customers.

Thanks for the heads up because I am now shopping for new Insurance.

Thanks for the heads up with Allstate, I am shopping now as well.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had a terrible experience with Progressive a couple years ago making a claim when someone side swiped me. Told them as soon as the claim was finished I was done with them.

Switched to Liberty, and have been happy so far. I also went through an independent insurance agent. Right now I am in the middle of a claim for someone who pulled out in front of me and smashed my front bumper. I thought it was fairly easy to make a claim and schedule with the repair shop. They have a list of approved shops or give you an option to go to a different shop. I’m wondering if your issue isn’t as much about Liberty as it is about nobody wanting to work on an RV.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    RV repair is specialized, of the places I contacted one is a large RV dealership with a bodyshop, the other is an independent RV repair facility.

Safeco told me to find a repair place & take it there, no assistance whatsoever. Talked to an auto bodyshop just to get some feedback on insurance companies, they weren't fond of safeco

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I had a terrible experience with Progressive a couple years ago making a claim when someone side swiped me. Told them as soon as the claim was finished I was done with them.

Switched to Liberty, and have been happy so far. I also went through an independent insurance agent. Right now I am in the middle of a claim for someone who pulled out in front of me and smashed my front bumper. I thought it was fairly easy to make a claim and schedule with the repair shop. They have a list of approved shops or give you an option to go to a different shop. I’m wondering if your issue isn’t as much about Liberty as it is about nobody wanting to work on an RV.
    I told Progressive to shove it this year, too. Massive premium hike and a backstab reversal on what was a clear and obvious claim. Went to Liberty mostly out of quote process convenience and not having to yack with an agent. But, I'm only buying the insurance for the "leave me alone, cop" slip in the glovebox.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    That's interesting, I'm having the exact opposite experience. I have Geico for auto and Liberty for home. My policies are up for renewal and both had massive increases, even if I bundled with one company. I've been with Liberty for 15 years and Geico maybe 5. It really annoyed me and both companies just said repair costs have increased so they had to raise prices and could do nothing to help me.

So just a few days ago I got a quote from Progressive. The auto quote with their max coverage limits that surpass my Geico policy came in at half the price of Geico and the home quote with the same coverage was a 1/3 of Liberty. A quick Google search and I couldn't find any abnormal amount of negative experiences with Progressive so I made the switch.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have only had one claim with an insurance company in the last 20 years give or take. And that was about 7 years ago, my kitchen flooded.

I was originally with Indiana Insurance(based out of Ohio, ironically) and they got bought out by Safeco. I was a little concerned since they are/were considered a high risk insurer but my rates didn't go up so I stuck with them.

When I made my claim, they were great. They just kept cutting checks to me for the damages. Of course, the rest of that story is I didn't try to make money off them, I just wanted a fair settlement. They offered to pay for lodging and meals out while they had those huge air movers in the house. We opted to just stay in the house and didn't hit them up for those charges.

The funny thing is, shortly before that happened I was saying to my wife that we should shop insurance. But it's when you have a claim that you see the true color of your insurer. We stuck with them.

And then they became Liberty apparently.

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I had a claim a number of years ago from a blowout on a trip, that one went smoothly & I had no comlaints other than the weeks it took to get it done.

This one is completely different, had I know earlier what I know now I would not be with Safeco.

From bodyshops I have heard good things about Erie & Progressive, nothing positive about Safeco.

Haven't been able to find a reputable shop willing to work with Safeco's estimate. One shop said they will charge for the estimate knowing it is Safeco & I can't blame them. I beleive they know it is a waste of time.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Allstate almost doubled my rates across the board a year ago. No claims in the 10+ years of being with them. When I called and asked WTF wAs going on, was simply told all rates in this region were increased…. Then asked if I was paying for the renewal. Nope. Called my local Indiana Farm Bureau agent and went that way with all my policies. Less than what I was originally paying with Allstate. Recently got rear ended in my work truck pulling y personal trailer. Kid had IFB insurance. Trailer was repaired no problem. Just took my truck to a IFB recommended body shop and repairs were handled without getting my employers insurance company involved.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    A KOA owner damaged our camper in May. Their insurance is handling it but ours, State Farm, stepped right in and would have paid then gone after their insurance for the cost. Camper is at Lazy Days in Burns Harbor being repaired. One of the few places to do RV repair. Been happy with their people, hope to get the camper back in a few weeks.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    A KOA owner damaged our camper in May. Their insurance is handling it but ours, State Farm, stepped right in and would have paid then gone after their insurance for the cost. Camper is at Lazy Days in Burns Harbor being repaired. One of the few places to do RV repair. Been happy with their people, hope to get the camper back in a few weeks.
    We bought our camper up there (formerly, camp-land), and they were great to deal with. I hope the current company keeps it that way.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I can tell you from the auto repair side, that Erie is the only company mentioned so far, that I would look in to if i were shopping insurance.

Campers are a hard deal. Insurance companies only want to pay xx amount of dollars per hour for repair, and i'd guess most places that can do a proper repair, won't work for what the insurance company wants to pay.

Top Bottom