• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Anyone have any thoughts on adding a PSA upper to my early '80's SP1 lower? I'm looking at it for optics options other than the 4X scope on my carry handle. I've never used a PSA product, so I don't know the good, the bad, or the ugly about them. :dunno:

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I bought one for a build that I did for a friend and it was excellent quality for what was received. You REALLY can't go wrong for the price you're paying.

If you have any interest in selling your SP1 lower, please let me know...with what I would pay you for it, you could buy a whole new rifle! I was in the Marine Corps stationed at a reserve unit near the Colt factory and been wanting a legit Colt lower for an A1 clone build.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Despite what was said above, you CAN go wrong with a PSA upper. Depends on the day it was made whether the QC guy/gal was in a good mood or bad. PSA sends out crappy builds, with suspect parts daily. It’s luck of the draw what you get, so if you’re ok with ok parts, sloppy builds, and general lack of QC, and have the time to wait for their warranty department, hit it. 20 members will now jump in and say PSA is the greatest thing ever “ for the price”, look online look at the reviews for yourself. PSA is built on low price. Hell, you might get lucky and get a good one out of the gate though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Despite what was said above, you CAN go wrong with a PSA upper. Depends on the day it was made whether the QC guy/gal was in a good mood or bad. PSA sends out crappy builds, with suspect parts daily. It’s luck of the draw what you get, so if you’re ok with ok parts, sloppy builds, and general lack of QC, and have the time to wait for their warranty department, hit it. 20 members will now jump in and say PSA is the greatest thing ever “ for the price”, look online look at the reviews for yourself. PSA is built on low price. Hell, you might get lucky and get a good one out of the gate though.

But they do go above and beyond in customer service.

First time I called with an issue I was told they would gladly fix it, but not to send it in right away since it wasnt a safety issue and was still somewhat serviceable. He admitted they were short on the parts I would likely need to fix it, and it would be better to keep playing with the rifle and send it in later when they expected the parts to be in. A breath of fresh air/honesty. I like that.

Second instance was a feed issue on an AR9 using non conical bullets. Even though I had AllenM try to resolve it by re-profiling the ramp, it didnt work. But they didnt hesitate to replace the barrel even with the modification. They had every right to tell me to pay for the new barrel but they didnt. (Though I noticed that the fix they used to correct my rifle is now standard on all new rifles)

They're no DD or Larue, but they make a decent upper for the money.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Am I the only one who's thinking putting a modern upper (PSA too) on a SP1 lower is a little blasphemous?

Keep the lower/upper as is and just get a new rifle that's more purpose driven

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Am I the only one who's thinking putting a modern upper (PSA too) on a SP1 lower is a little blasphemous?

Keep the lower/upper as is and just get a new rifle that's more purpose driven

This also. Lowers are cheap. Hell, you can get an entire PSA for under $400!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont think anyone is telling you to sell your old rifle. Just build a whole new one if you want a different upper. Lowers are cheap.

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Valid point! I have heard a few comments like this from other sources. I am retired, so time is not an issue!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Renegade762
    Top Bottom