• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    Ive been interested in these rifles for as long as I can remember. The power of the semiautomatic magazine fed 308, the lure of the HK style rifle and much more affordable price. Ive done some reading on the rifle and watched a few reviews but im still not satisfied with the amount of information I have to sink 1000ish dollars into a rifle that could end up having to be a project gun just to function properly or if it would end up working just fine OTB. So what I was wondering is if anyone on here has or has had enough experience with the rifle to be able to give me a few informed opinions about the weapon?

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Ive been interested in these rifles for as long as I can remember. The power of the semiautomatic magazine fed 308, the lure of the HK style rifle and much more affordable price. Ive done some reading on the rifle and watched a few reviews but im still not satisfied with the amount of information I have to sink 1000ish dollars into a rifle that could end up having to be a project gun just to function properly or if it would end up working just fine OTB. So what I was wondering is if anyone on here has or has had enough experience with the rifle to be able to give me a few informed opinions about the weapon?

I was thinking of selling/trading my M1A for one of these, but that was in November...

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    HK clone

I own a couple of HK 91's and a PTR clone that has the rail on the recvr and on the fore end....I have a long history working with HK products, particularly the MP-5's.....I have been shooting 91's and 93's since the 80's.
    I bought the PTR basically because I wanted a HK design to shoot, since the original 91's have grown in value....I also wanted a rail system so that I could mount optics using throw levers, I put a HK collapsible stock on the PTR. I bought the rifle last fall and got several hundred rounds thru it before the weather caught me.
    Having been through the HK armorer's school, and having worked on hundred's of MP-5's I am quite familiar with the innards of the HK system, and I have a lot of trigger time on the SMG's and the rifles.
    I highly recommend the PTR series, they make several models, and as far as I am concerned they are a good value. Some people have objections to certain features of the G3/MP system, but if you train with the system, you can become quite proficient with it. The G3 pattern rifles have been issued all over the world and are worthy of their reputations.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The problems with the PTRs are the barrels. Some of the older barrels from Wilson did not have the correct number of flutes and the depth of the flutes. That could have be solved by now as the PTRs I owned were of the JLD A serial # prefix whereas the other one had an AW serial # prefix which had more problems(most notably the US made bolt).

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I highly recommend the PTR series, they make several models, and as far as I am concerned they are a good value. Some people have objections to certain features of the G3/MP system, but if you train with the system, you can become quite proficient with it.

Sounds like you should have a lot of knowledge of the platform. So what kinds of objections do people have and what reasons do you recommend the system for?

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    G-3 platform

The G-3 is a combat proven platrform, the roller lock system has been hugely successful in the G-3 and the Mp platforms.....people object to a lot of things about various platforms such as the AK, AR, FAl, etc........training and skill set development will overcome just about any objections that folks might voice with the G-3.
    The bolt does not lock to the rear when the mag is empty, and the charging handle is way forward on the port side of the gun.....this requires some getting used to.....the Mp5's have the same characteristics.
    G-3 triggers are usually gritty and heavy, this can be cured by someone who knows their way around inside the trigger pac.
    They FORCIBLY eject brass....if you intend to reload brass you will need a port buffer to prevent your brass from being crushed, plus the chamber fluting is imprinted on the brass...some folks object to that.
    I really like the rail system that is on my PTR...I just could not bring myself to mount(weld) a raii system on my HK -91....the HK claw scope mount system was akward and put the line of sight for the optics way above the bore. And trying to get the right cheek weld for those high mounted scopes are akward as well....
    I have run 500 rds thru my PTR and at 200 yds it has functioned as well as my HK 91....I would reccomend this platform for anybody who wants a .308 battle proven semi auto rifle. Mag's are easy to come by and inexpensive...and there is a lot of HK accessories out there that will enhance the PTR rifle as well.

Last edited:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Trijicon makes a mount for the ACOG that puts it on top of the iron sights. You can still use the irons through the hole in the bottom of the ACOG. You don't quite get a cheek weld but it would not take much added to the stock to get one. I hear you can get a rail added to the top of the receiver relatively cheaply and Atlantic Firearms was selling a model like that. Magpul also makes a stock I have thought of trying that has an adjustable cheek riser and adjustable pull.

The HK is probably second to the AR in terms of stuff you can get that bolts on. It tends to be expensive though. At least mags are really cheap and reliable.

Top Bottom