• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Can anyone comment about the quality of the rifles being manufactured by PTR? They are launching the PTR 91 at the Shot Show next week. Preliminary information indicate it is a good substitute for the "hard to get" HK91. I do not have much experience with PTR. I applaud them for leaving Connecticut and relocating their business in South Carolina. Any one have some first hand experience with their other rifles and manufacturing quality?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'm not an expert, but I thought that they are all HK parts on a U.S. receiver made by PTR. I think they assemble them from de-milled parts kits on their receiver and then finish them with a tougher finish than the original HK's.
    They are supposed to be really nice rifles. Vector also made a quality "clone", they are no longer in business but can be had on the used market from time to time.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    They are a good rifle and or pistol for a semi auto .308. Great toy. You can find mags for about $2. each in bulk. DO NOT BUY a CETME if you're expecting PTR or HK quality. CETME is not adjustable for windage. I've got several PTR's and I like them. They are reliable and reasonably priced. They have a conventional rifled barrels and not the polygonal HK barrels if that is important to you. I have one that is scoped by haven't put much time behind that one.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    PTR91 has been around for a long time. It is a excellent battle rifle. I have never considered it to be a toy.

There is one for sale in the classifieds.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I bought one of the first PTR91 rifles made after their start up. The quality of fit, finish etc was excellent but mine was very ammo sensitive. 7.62 milsurp wouldn't extract , the gun would only function with quality commercial ammo.
    WWB , Rem -UMC both worked IIRC. I've read since the early guns had very tight chambers and this was changed after customer complaints about non function with common mil surp. I tried S. African and Port and the cases would stick tightly.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I bought one of the first PTR91 rifles made after their start up. The quality of fit, finish etc was excellent but mine was very ammo sensitive. 7.62 milsurp wouldn't extract , the gun would only function with quality commercial ammo.
    WWB , Rem -UMC both worked IIRC. I've read since the early guns had very tight chambers and this was changed after customer complaints about non function with common mil surp. I tried S. African and Port and the cases would stick tightly.

A little off topic, but I have had problems with South African out of my Armalite AR-10, it also has a tight chamber. I have heard that South African only run reliably out of FAL's.
    Don't know if there is any truth to it. I now only shoot commercial .308 out of the AR-10. And have no problems.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I'm not an expert, but I thought that they are all HK parts on a U.S. receiver made by PTR. I think they assemble them from de-milled parts kits on their receiver and then finish them with a tougher finish than the original HK's.
    They are supposed to be really nice rifles. Vector also made a quality "clone", they are no longer in business but can be had on the used market from time to time.

Basically JLD Ent. bought the FMP(Port) tooling and started manufacturing the receivers. On the earlier JLD-built PTRs they used HK/FMP bolts and HK carriers. The barrels were made by Wilson and were very ammo sensitive. This was caused by the barrels not having the correct depth flutes being cut in the chamber. Tar would build up from certain NATO Mil-Surp brands and cause FTEs. Nowadays, they have switched to an American-made bolts that are of lesser quality than the older Mil-Surp bolts. They have also changed their barrels to more of the original spec HK barrels so they can handle the mil-surp ammo, but by doing so they are not as accurate. I have owned 2 PTRs(1 early JLD model and 1 PTR model). Both were fine shooters. PTRs have been around since at least '08. There is plenty of reading about PTRs over on HKProForum.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I had an early PTR-91 and, regrettably, sold it at a gun show a couple of years ago to fund another project. It was a great rifle, and I never had any issues with South African surplus; must have run 1000 rounds through it. Guess i got lucky. I have since picked up one of their PDW's in 308 and converted it to an SBR. It's a blast (literally) to shoot. Unfortunately, after getting rid of my first PTR-91, I also got rid of all of my South African surplus (hindsight) and all, so I don't shoot the PDW as much as I would like.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'd really like to have one someday. I keep hoping they will build a PTR93 so I can drop in a registered auto-sear. So far, nothing but a .308 & 7.62x39.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    ive shot my friends, i liked it quite a bit it kinda reminds me of a ak very tough and simple to use. there a bit heavy but its not too heavy. found it easy to hit man sized taregts out quite a ways maybe 550 yards? just dont expect bolt gun accuracy. the bolt is a SOB to put together the first time though.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My last couple of times through Columbus, O., I stopped in at Cabela's. The PTR's they had on the rack sure didn't look any better than the Cetme I'm building and some had much crappier looking furniture. I know the trigger packs are supposed to be smoother, but appearance wise, I don't know..
    Cheers

Top Bottom