• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I got my first deer this year.Thought it would be neat to get my first duck and goose this year also. Here is the problem... I have never hunted either one and I'm going to be on public ground. I know they go from water to the field and back. Everyone I have seen hunting them are right on or in the water. My plan is to walk around scouting areas and try to put the puzzle together. Any tips or advice. Things I should look for while scouting. ( I know look for ducks and geese). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will even put a good word in for you to Santa .

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If you're hunting public land, you're going to have to go through a draw process each morning at the property you want to hunt. You'll draw and then pick your spot off the board. There's a chance you won't get to hunt, especially if you're there alone as you'll get stuck at the end of the draw line as a single.

I've always gone with buddies who know what they're doing and have all the gear, but I don't think there's much in season scouting involved as most of the spots are predetermined. I don't believe you can get out to the marsh during the season unless you've drawn.

I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will come along and fill in the holes in my post.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    What Hooky said is spot on. Unless you're walking some flooded ditches or small waterways and jump shooting/pass shooting, duck/goose hunting requires a fair amount of gear and knowledge. You would be better off just doing a simple google search for "how to duck hunt." It would take a lot of typing to correctly explain all of the concepts of waterfowl hunting, even then, I would probably miss something and someone would probably disagree with me. I've mainly hunted the NW region of Indiana, I've been to Mississippi and Arkansas. Even with that experience, I don't consider myself an expert. You really should find some people that are duck hunters and hook-up with them. You will learn a lot and save yourself the initial cost of gear. You just can't order your favorite Duck Commander call and head to the FWA and expect to bring 'em in. There is a lot of etiquette involved.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Depends on what public land you are hunting on... There is some public hunting land around here that you don't have to draw for. Not all of it is like that, but there is some where you just sign in and are allowed to hunt as long as someone else is not parked on the spot you pull up to first you are good to go...

Top Bottom