• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Parents are the problem.

I know that if more parents were involved in their children's education there would be more enlightenment on their part.

So you'd see a greater call for vouchers, and private schools would boom as an industry. And there would be results. Positive results.

But it aint going to happen. Commies have too tight a grip on the education system in this country.

Being involved with your kids is only allowed in k-5 here. During those years I was a "room mom" a "do dad" and pto director. Once they got to middle school our involvement was limited to fund raisers and hosting party's to plan fund raisers. We were no longer needed or wanted in the classroom. I have noticed that middle school is where kids start going down the tubes,coincidence :dunno:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm also talking about after each and every school day. At the home.

Mom would come home from her job and ask to see what I was working on. What I'd brought home. Not like I couldn't have bs my way through something with her. She'd know.

I had a pal over that witnessed this once and said he was embarrassed for me.

I've never been an academic super success, but I wouldn't have been as successful without her kicking my tail.

Most yutes don't have anything like that, so they're just another number through the turnstile.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I feel the pain of ANYONE who tries to help solve the problem - but winds up constrained by the system. I think that teachers as a general rule are underpaid and often under appreciated. The only way to solve the public school issue is to break the ironclad lock that the unions have on it. Competition would do that - both for the student with special needs and for those without.

I can understand both sides of that boat a bit. I am blessed to have 4 kids that are going great guns and so far everything is clicking for them. We're involved in their education HEAVILY and I draw a distinction between their School and their EDUCATION. I have often despaired at the school situation and almost pulled the home-school trigger on a couple of occasions. My twin brother also has four kids. Two of his are on the Autistic spectrum (diagnosed) and a third probably should be - in my non-official armchair capacity. I tended to be an armchair Archie Bunker type as well until I got a closer look. They have had to struggle to get the help that their kids need. Before you think weird of the kids, though, understand that WITH THE HELP THAT THEY HAVE GOTTEN, the oldest one (has Asperger's for those of you who know what that means) is VERY successful and is a talented freshman member of the University of Louisville Band with a Scholarship. Their family speaks to those with Autism challenges all across the country at various conferences.

So how do we accommodate all of the needs of the students, folks? How does my son - who is unchallenged in many of his classes (speaks to the OP's point) get what he needs? At the same time, how does my nephew (who needs a completely different approach) get what he needs? Holy crap this is easy! The MARKETPLACE!

Right now the public school system reminds me of the old Wendy's commercial with the Russian fashion show... one size, one style fits all... very nice... blah. we all know that crap! But that's the crap that they are serving.

Bottom line - I agree with the comments that vouchers would be a big help. For some folks, maybe private school? I tend to think like Que right now and work to improve the school my kids are in. Vouchers would encourage development of better suited things for ALL of these needs. Parents could vote with their feet. Have a school with a good program for those with autistic needs? And you DON'T think that the word wouldn't get around? Have a school that challenges kids? And don't think that the word word would get around??

The market will solve what government cannot. We see it here again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    After reading and re-reading I need to apologize to the OP. I let my emotions get the best of me and failed in a major rule of life, don't let mere words bring you to violence and for that I am sorry. My stance however has not changed in regards to the word "retard"...

I'm just curious, but within the constraints of this thread, who used the term "retard" to refer to the children? I did, using the more clinical term, use the word 'retarded' and the phrase 'mentally retarded' as specific descriptors to define the type of 'special needs' student for which my wife must dumb down her entire class. I also used it when I listed the association that has given me awards for my work with retarded individuals and even stated the term retarded is in the name of the organization and is engraved on the awards they have given me. But I don't recall anyone using the term "retard" in this thread. Perhaps I missed it?

As for the apology, no-harm/no-foul, we are all good.

Top Bottom