• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Would'nt you also have to level that same playing field and concede that all LEOs are not the same model as well?

All LEO's are NOT models. We have one that is a down right criminal IMO and has been working while out on bond for the last year. You will never find me anywhere near him. His reckoning day is fast approaching. All cops are not perfect. But I can say with certainty that the ratio of good to bad between cops and LTCH is no where close.

BobM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not by me. I have defiantly made my share of mistakes. I have stopped the wrong cars ect. If that happens you don't BS your way out of it. You tell the person exactly what happened and why and hand them a compliant form. Funny thing is no one has ever filled one out on me for that scenario. Humans make mistakes.

I applaud you for your candor. We ALL make mistakes. Some of us do them on purpose tho.:D
    My point is that some LEOs, and other humans, think that "the ends justify the means". And these stops can sometimes get REALLY BAD people off the street. But IMHO there is no need to break the law to enforce the law.
    And I really am tickled to have people say that this NEVER happens. Anybody who has spent ANY time even around LEOs SHOULD have heard one or two such stories during the BS times.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That would be an IDACS/NCIC violation.
    So was there a violation that occured when the OP spoke to someone at the FPD and they ran his plates to confirm for him that there was information about an armed robbery in Virginia?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    So was there a violation that occured when the OP spoke to someone at the FPD and they ran his plates to confirm for him that there was information about an armed robbery in Virginia?

I believe it needs to be for LE purposes or something to that effect. A complaint would be for LE purposes. And I would assume that even for a complaint the information provided would have been limited.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    All LEO's are NOT models. We have one that is a down right criminal IMO and has been working while out on bond for the last year. You will never find me anywhere near him. His reckoning day is fast approaching. All cops are not perfect. But I can say with certainty that the ratio of good to bad between cops and LTCH is no where close.
    My only concession is that there are good and bad Cops and good and bad LTCH holders period. I will not try to quantify it with numbers to make any one classification out to be better than the other just because I am an LTCH holder.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I would LOVE to see more Tazeings. Anytime a suspect runs, he oughta be Tazed. It won't permanently hurt him (well at least most of the time :)) but it should condition him to stop the next time he hears,"Stop or I'll Taze you!":rockwoot:

Many of the criminal element no longer need tazed. Some that has had it in the past readily give up once the light and lazer gets turned on. Kind of like this guy. He most likely won't ever need tazed again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NXciiSH8g0

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My only concession is that there are good and bad Cops and good and bad LTCH holders period. I will not try to quantify it with numbers to make any one classification out to be better than the other just because I am an LTCH holder.

I am both and I won't either. Fair enough?

dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    Good lord are you not reading anything posted on this thread. What was the stop for? The stop reason was even backed up with a follow up call by the OP. So as bad as many would like it too be it wasn't fabricated stopping charges. That person is going to be disarmed no matter who they are or what they have. Once again the LTCH don't mean jack until the stuff is sorted out. IMO the officers actions were quite subdued all things considered.

Keep in mind all the MDT hits and alerts are lead information only. They don't man a whole lot except the way you deal with the person and stop. They (the person) might be 100 percent innocent. They also very well may be 100 percent guilty and ready to throw down.

I am not buying into the crap that officers are jacking with people by stopping them on TS's after learning they have a LTCH and then making up some BS stopping charge. Ain't happening. Just about any cop in this state that wants to get into something and make arrests can do so almost at leisure these days. They don't have to make stuff up.

Keep in mind all the MDT hits and alerts are lead information only. They don't man a whole lot except the way you deal with the person and stop. They (the person) might be 100 percent innocent. They also very well may be 100 percent guilty and ready to throw down.

I read this to mean that you are going to pull them over and question them until they prove themsleves to be innocent to your satisfaction instead to knowing for certain and initiating a stop only when it is more likely than not that they are in violation of some law. If that is the case I don't think that is acceptable under the 4th Amendment.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

I read this to mean that you are going to pull them over and question them until they prove themsleves to be innocent to your satisfaction instead to knowing for certain and initiating a stop only when it is more likely than not that they are in violation of some law. If that is the case I don't think that is acceptable under the 4th Amendment.

Well it is in fact acceptable and legal. I think most officers attempt to gain as much information as possible before making a stop. But you also can't be following people all over the state while you get that information. In addition many things like this require speaking with or checking out whatever the object of the hit is. There are many times no other way to make sure.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I didn't know I could call my local police department and have them run checks on my plates. Or potentially, someone else's plates.

That would be an IDACS/NCIC violation.

That's what I thought.

Perhaps I misunderstand the OP who *I thought* said he called the police station to verify that his plates were associated with an armed robbery? Would that not amount to the same sort of thing? Provided of course that the person he spoke to was being honest with him ...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    That's what I thought.

Perhaps I misunderstand the OP who *I thought* said he called the police station to verify that his plates were associated with an armed robbery? Would that not amount to the same sort of thing? Provided of course that the person he spoke to was being honest with him ...

Perhaps they told him yes or no to his question. I don't know. I highly doubt that they gave him much information concerning the vehicle owner,address ect.

Last edited:

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home

Look at #12 in the bibliography of this article reading all the way to the end.

Violence Policy - Gun Owners Of America

And then please explain your statement in red please .

for those not wishing to follow the link,
    12 - Crime statistics related to concealed carry permit holders are difficult to come by, as every state does not publish detailed figures relating to their permit holders. Some (like Texas) do provide these statistics. Interestingly, a study of concealed carry in Texas over a four year period (2002-2005), found that non concealed carry permit holders are 7.89 times more likely to be convicted of crimes than permit holders -- and 40.58 times as likely to be convicted of burglary. [See Tables 1 and 3 in Howard Nemerov, “Concealed Handguns: Danger or Asset to Texas?” at http://www.prattontexas.com/documents/Texas CHL Study.pdf.] Moreover, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 4.72% of all officers (state and local) were found to have committed police abuse in 2002. [Bureau of Justice Statistics, “Citizen Complaints about Police Use of Force [in 2002]” (published 2006) at http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/ccpuf.pdf.] Comparing the BJS figures to the Texas data -- showing that just over six-thousandths of one percent (.0062%) of permit holders were convicted of crimes in 2002 -- one can make some interesting correlations. While somewhat different, it is interesting to note that police reviewing authorities found that officers had committed crimes at 761 times the rate that the Texas study found for convictions of concealed carry holders for the same criminal acts. [Compare BJS, “Citizen Complaints” to Nemerov, “Concealed Handguns.”]

Seems you are absolutely correct! Just not quite the way though I think!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom