• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I was pulled over a few of weeks ago and it has been on my mind ever since.
    I have not been pulled over in around 10 years, even that was only a seat belt violation in a company vehicle. I have also had zero police interaction.
    Anyway, I was absolutely in the wrong. I was running late to work (it was around 4:15 AM) traffic was backed up and I was using a center lane to get to a turn lane. Mind you I had been traveling in the center lane for a considerable amount of time before the turn lane started. So not the crime of the century, but I wouldn't contest the reason for the stop.
    So I pull into a bank parking lot, stop the car and get my license out. At that point I decided this could be considered rifling around in the car, so I put my hands out of the window while holding my license. (Not doing to bad so far.)
    The officer then asks for my registration. well my work beater is a real mess so I start pulling things out of the glove box, the first registration I found was from the previous owner so as I start to hand it to him I literally chuck it to the side and return to going through my glove box. I find my current registration and go to hand it to him, we must have both noticed the same thing as I did this because the next thing he sais to me is "why are you so nearvous?" I believe I replied with "huh" to which he sais "you are shaking like a leaf".
    This was true and I thought about it for a moment because at this point I am wondering the same thing.
    As I am thinking about it, it dawns on me that I have a S&W model 60 in the console. I think to myself that he's not gonna like this with the way I'm acting, I am however not a threatening person.
    Anywho, my reply was roughly as follows.
    "Well, I'm tired and running late for work, I am pulled over by the police which I am not used to, Windshields cracked and I do have a legal firearm in the console." He abruptly stops me and asks "do you have a license for that" and I reply with....... " yes sir I do, I mean I'm not like an evil doer or anything I swear, you can look me up".... this all only took a minute or 2.
    He sais hold on a minute and returned to his car presumably to look me up lol..
    He then comes back and tells me to basicly have a nice day and stay out of the center lane to which I assured him I would NEVER do that again.
    The officer was great! Very calm and polite. I on the other hand was a total freak show. If he had ripped me out of the car, secured my weapon and searched it like a boarder guard I don't think I could have blamed him.
    He never asked to see my LTCH or my gun and let me off with nothing more than a verbal warning.
    As I said, it was early and I had anxiety already due to running late for a fairly new job. I just hope I would compose myself better in the future. Had no real reason to be nervous, maybe watch a few to many YouTube videos..
    (Sorry for the long post, I'm just like that lol).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Granted, it wasn't at 4:15 am, but I was pulled over a few days ago for speeding (36 in a 30 zone through a neighborhood that had gotten a lot more traffic because of construction detours).

I pulled over. The officer walked up to my truck. He asked for my license and then asked how my driving record is. I said: "Should be OK." He took my license, presumably took a look at my record, he brought it back and said: "watch your speed coming through here." and walked away.

NEVER be the first person to mention the word "gun" or "firearm" in an interaction with police [in Indiana]. It didn't come up at all in my stop. In fact, it never has.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    NEVER be the first person to mention the word "gun" or "firearm" in an interaction with police [in Indiana]. It didn't come up at all in my stop. In fact, it never has.

I dunno. If you are throwing "tells" as badly as the OP said he was, I might break character on this and say go ahead and inform. That officer is trying to figure out the cause of the abnormal behavior, and the more information he can get, the faster he can move through the decision tree for what he believes is happening.

That said, if you aren't having an "abnormal" interaction with police I don't recommend informing unless the firearm is sure to be discovered during the course of the contact and its discovery will be sudden and close to your hands.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A couple tips.

-Window down
    -Car off
    -Hands at 10 and 2 until the officer gives instruction
    -Keep your car tidy
    -Throw away your old registrations and insurance cards as you put the new ones in.
    -Dont keep weapons with your paperwork in the glove box. (or wherever)
    I also don't discuss guns unless explicitly asked about guns or weapons, or if I have to reach near one for something he asks for. I respond "no" to the vague "anything I need to know about in the vehicle?" I wont be using it, so he has nothing to worry about.

Its always worked out in my favor when I followed all of those steps.

Which reminds me of a great joke.

An old lady was pulled over for speeding. 90 in a 55.
    The officer comes up, slightly miffed. He asks for her license and registration.
    "Officer, there is a gun in the glove box."
    "OK, is there anything else I need to know about?"
    "Yes. There are also drugs and assault rifles in the trunk, along with a dead body."
    "Step out of the car, ma'am."

He cuffs her and stuffs her and calls for backup.
    Backup arrives and they search the car. No guns, no bodies, no drugs.

A supervisor approaches the patrol car where she is handcuffed.
    "Ma'am, my officer said you had guns, drugs and bodies in the car. Care to explain whats going on?"

"I'll bet he ALSO told you I was doing 90 in a 55 too? " :joke:

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

Two of my brothers are officers and they have always told me the same thing. If you have a firearm in the car, say nothing. No point of making the officer anxious if he/she doesnt need to be.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I pulled over. The officer walked up to my truck. He asked for my license and then asked how my driving record is. I said: "Should be OK." He took my license, presumably took a look at my record, he brought it back and said: "watch your speed coming through here." and walked away.

I went YEARS without being pulled over, after being pulled over A LOT in my younger years. Weird, cause I haven't slowed down any.

I've now been pulled over twice this year.

Both have been 4:30ish AM. Both times I really deserved a ticket.

1st one on a rural county road I got a, "slow 'er down".

2nd one in town I got, "Look, I know 35MPH is not a realist speed through here. Do me a favor and try to keep it under 45".

And no, the word "gun" was never mentioned.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Two of my brothers are officers and they have always told me the same thing. If you have a firearm in the car, say nothing. No point of making the officer anxious if he/she doesnt need to be.
    Luckily this officer never appeared anxious throughout the entire stop, even when he asked why I was nervous I think he halfway already knew I didn't have a good reason. my demeanor was probablu more full of anxiety (which I don't usually have).
    May have also helped that I am a pretty small guy, clean cut, no tattoos, piercings etc. Not that it matters, I just don't don't think I give off tough guy vibes.
    He must not have been concerned because after I told him he went to his car and returned to mine, never mentioning it again.
    It definitely could have definitely gone alot worse though.

Last edited:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I was coming home from an FFL after picking up a new gun that I had ordered. Stopped at a stoplight. Just as the light turned green a city police car pulled up to the now red light on my left. Shortly thereafter I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a police car with red & blue flashing making his way towards me. Eventually he is right behind, following me. I pulled over. He is on radio talking. Gets out slowly approached, hand on still holstered gun. What the ???? Eventually got near my window & engaged in conversation still with hand on firearm. Asks me a couple questions then ask if any guns in vehicle. I affirmed there were 2. He ask calibers. I replied and he relaxed, says there was just a bank robbery and my vehicle matched description of get away vehicle. Said when he saw me I didn’t match physical description of robber. When I replied I had 2 semi-autos he said robber had a revolver. Never ask bout permit. Chatted a minute and sent me on my way. Only time an officer has mentioned the word gun or firearm to me during traffic stop. Oh, and I drove less that another mile and met on oncoming County police car. It flipped a u-turn, on came the red and blue lights so I just pulled over and waited. Ne approached a little more at ease than first stop. Ask me if I had just been pulled over by a city officer. I replied yes, he says he figured that but had to check.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I was coming home from an FFL after picking up a new gun that I had ordered. Stopped at a stoplight. Just as the light turned green a city police car pulled up to the now red light on my left. Shortly thereafter I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a police car with red & blue flashing making his way towards me. Eventually he is right behind, following me. I pulled over. He is on radio talking. Gets out slowly approached, hand on still holstered gun. What the ???? Eventually got near my window & engaged in conversation still with hand on firearm. Asks me a couple questions then ask if any guns in vehicle. I affirmed there were 2. He ask calibers. I replied and he relaxed, says there was just a bank robbery and my vehicle matched description of get away vehicle. Said when he saw me I didn’t match physical description of robber. When I replied I had 2 semi-autos he said robber had a revolver. Never ask bout permit. Chatted a minute and sent me on my way. Only time an officer has mentioned the word gun or firearm to me during traffic stop. Oh, and I drove less that another mile and met on oncoming County police car. It flipped a u-turn, on came the red and blue lights so I just pulled over and waited. Ne approached a little more at ease than first stop. Ask me if I had just been pulled over by a city officer. I replied yes, he says he figured that but had to check.
    You forgot to say, I Don't Answer Questions over and over.

I've heard they recognize they're talking to a pro and immediately leave you alone.

Top Bottom