Pulled Over While Carrying Concealed (A Cop's Perspective)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    How many folks actually wait for the LEO to get to your door before you get your license and registration out? If you have it out and waiting, then there is less of a chance he'll mistake your going for your wallet.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I don't think I have ever waited for the cop to get to my door to have my license and registration out.

This will eliminate two accidental discoveries on my part. One, he won't think I'm going for my gun while I'm going for my wallet (as is being discusssed), and Two, he won't see my LTCH if it accidentally were to show itself from within my wallet.

The simple solution is to just have it all out for him and ready if he requests it.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    even though the same will say that LTCH holders are "law abiding citizens"......... I think it should be "law abiding citizen of the laws that I like and agree with"....

Do you ever knowingly drive 1 mph or more above the speed limit? Do you ever wait to put your seat belt on AFTER your car has started moving? Have you ever spit and it landed on the sidewalk in town?

There are many laws that are "broken" by law abiding citizens on a daily basis. I think your allowed to commit and be convicted of some very minor infractions and still be considered a law abiding citizen.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Do you ever knowingly drive 1 mph or more above the speed limit? Do you ever wait to put your seat belt on AFTER your car has started moving? Have you ever spit and it landed on the sidewalk in town?

There are many laws that are "broken" by law abiding citizens on a daily basis. I think your allowed to commit and be convicted of some very minor infractions and still be considered a law abiding citizen.

I was not talking about driving and looking down and noticing you are speeding....... or spiting on the side walk and not knowing it is a crime...... I was talking about those that knowingly and purposfully break a law because they don't agree with it.:)

Some do 75 in a 55 because they feel that the speed limit is stupid............

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    From an IN LEO (me)...........Honestly I could care less if you choose not to tell me, makes no difference to me. I have a job to do and I will do it no matter if you tell me or not. If you do choose to tell me that does not mean I will disarm you as I have done it both ways, just depends on the situation and if I feel I need too.

The mere fact that you have a weapon does not change how I do my job because I assume everyone has at least one and I plan accordingly. All I ask is that if I directly ask you that you not lie about it or give one of the evasive BS answers that has been promoted by some here.

Carry on as I have nothing else of value to add

Just a question. As an LEO do you always ask? If not, when would you ask or not?

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    That sounds to me like admitting you have a LTCH would be a variation of I have a gun, so, we should not say we have a LTCH.

I was thinking about this today... instead of saying "I have a license for the handgun I'm carrying" How about saying the phrase "I am exercising my 2nd Amendment right and I do have a current license to do so"?

You are not saying the word GUN, but it would be implied

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I was not talking about driving and looking down and noticing you are speeding....... or spiting on the side walk and not knowing it is a crime...... I was talking about those that knowingly and purposfully break a law because they don't agree with it.:)

Some do 75 in a 55 because they feel that the speed limit is stupid............

Meh, sometimes I purposefully go 55 in a 45. If the consequences don't outweigh the rewards, sometimes it's more practical to break the law.

Seat-belt laws? I choose to break those too, now and then. $25 non-moving violation? Woopty-doo. :dunno:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Meh, sometimes I purposefully go 55 in a 45. If the consequences don't outweigh the rewards, sometimes it's more practical to break the law.

Seat-belt laws? I choose to break those too, now and then. $25 non-moving violation? Woopty-doo. :dunno:

Do you consider yourself a law abiding citizen then??? Just curious, not trying to start anything.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Absolutely.

But I'm also a Human, which makes it hard sometimes... =)

So how can you say you are a law abiding citizen when you openly admit to breaking laws :):? Keeping in mind that a law is still a law regardless if you (a person in general) think it should not be a law or is not constitutional:).

P.S. I saw your post before the edit and made this post, with the edit it makes a little more sense. :)

I would say that the homan argument could be made with going a few MPH over then realizing it and slowing down or something... but not knowingly doing it.

I don't see myself as a complete law abiding citizen just because I have a hard time going slower then the average flow of traffic... IE 60 in a 55.... but I am trying to get better at that.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    So how can you say you are a law abiding citizen when you openly admit to breaking laws :):?
    Knowingly breaking laws or accidentally breaking laws; it makes no difference to a judge. Thus, the knowing doesn't make one more or less a law abiding citizen.

Nevertheless, all law abiding citizens have broken laws knowingly; the others are liars.

Your criteria for being a law abiding citizen (someone who has never knowingly broken a law) would limit the true number of law abiding citizens in this state to a literal handful.

P.S. I saw your post before the edit and made this post, with the edit it makes a little more sense. :)

Indeed, being human encapsulates better the meaning of what I was trying to say.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Knowingly breaking laws or accidentally breaking laws; it makes no difference to a judge. Thus, the knowing doesn't make one more or less a law abiding citizen.

Nevertheless, all law abiding citizens have broken laws knowingly; the others are liars.

Your criteria for being a law abiding citizen (someone who has never knowingly broken a law) would limit the true number of law abiding citizens in this state to a literal handful.

Indeed, being human encapsulates better the meaning of what I was trying to say.

Maybe I should have said knowningly and intentionally?

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just a question. As an LEO do you always ask? If not, when would you ask or not?

No I do not always ask. I ask when I feel I have a reason too. That might include that I am planning on getting them out of the car, they are making furtive movements, or sometimes things just don't seem right so I ask. More often than not I don't ask, like I said I already assume there is one so I only ask if I feel it will become an issue.

There are (and I work with some) that ask everyone.....everytime, that's just not me.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Maybe I should have said knowningly and intentionally?

Now the semantics are getting ridiculous.

Intentionally? I take that to mean that you are breaking the law JUST to break the law. That is your intent.

My intent is, however, to get home from work faster, and in doing so I am 'knowingly' breaking the law by going a few over the speed limit.

:dunno: not sure this specific argument is going anywhere.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    No I do not always ask. I ask when I feel I have a reason too. That might include that I am planning on getting them out of the car, they are making furtive movements, or sometimes things just don't seem right so I ask. More often than not I don't ask, like I said I already assume there is one so I only ask if I feel it will become an issue.

There are (and I work with some) that ask everyone.....everytime, that's just not me.

I only remember ever being asked once if I had a gun on me. This was when I was younger; the officer saw the pink paper peaking out after I pulled out my license.

I have since changed methods of accessing and handing over my license and registration.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    Side question: How many folks actually wait for the LEO to get to your door before you get your license and registration out? If you have it out and waiting, then there is less of a chance he'll mistake your going for your wallet.

LEO's seem to always ask for the same things, so just have it ready to go:
    - License
    - Registration
    - Do you know why I pulled you over?
    - Where are you going?
    - Have you had anything to drink?

Make his life easy, and he'll make yours less painful.

I understand you're reasoning, but consider this, if it were you approaching a vehicle and the driver is moving around in the seat, digging for who knows what, would that put you at ease? I was trained to expect a weapon and assume others were also, so I wait until asked to produce license & registration. I want the LEO to be calm and comfortable when dealing with me. After all, his weapon is easier for him to draw than mine is for me.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    You should probably look into fixing that. A cop or a car-jacker, they both approach from the same direction.

Yes, you are right. However, a cop has emergency lights (on his vehicle) and a uniform. He is someone I do not suspect has any ill intent against me. Someone approaching my vehicle without being in uniform, I take as a threat and I prepare for the worst.

Top Bottom