• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I was driving up 465-E today, and apparently there was some odd construction lanes... so the lanes were painted over to swap.

I missed my swap, didn't notice the new lanes, and cut off a cop. He pulled me over and cited me for unsafe lane movement; 9-21-8-11(1)

What should I expect from this? I've never had this sort of citation... What will it costs? It looks like it's 4 points on the BMV site...

Can I defer it off of my insurance? How do I handle it? I think I already have two points on my record... what happens if I get 4 more?

My two points are from speeding, back on 10/29/2010

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    i dont know about 4 wheelers but for truck drivers thats a serious charge involving a lot of money. i would do some checking into it maybe even call a lawyer.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    My son did this last year about this time here in Greenwood. Paid the fine, no points, no insurance increase.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    How good was the paint for the swap? I missed a swap on the West side because there was no paint.

Take pics and fight it, if it was a bad paint job.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Two violations in a 12-month period, you can look forward to a mandatory driver's safety class. On the bright side, you can take it online for $60 and it will drop 4 points from your license, but it's five hours of your life you'll never get back.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I'd go to traffic court. Document poor signage, advance (or lack thereof) notice, etc. if possible. Hopefully the cop won't show up for court and you'll win by default. If he shows, make a good case for the judge. If you are well prepared, you will usually win.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    In a construction zone, if it's unclear at all, or you never go through there, maybe you could take it to hearing and plead "blonde" and they'd have mercy. You weren't speeding or anything, right? Just wondering where in hell you were supposed to be going? Get a good map of the zone, and anything questionable, you could probably have the whole thing thrown out.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Two violations in a 12-month period, you can look forward to a mandatory driver's safety class. On the bright side, you can take it online for $60 and it will drop 4 points from your license, but it's five hours of your life you'll never get back.

I managed to do it with about 20 minutes in front of the computer and some computer knowledge. This was when I drove 40,000 miles a year in residency. Ugh.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I managed to do it with about 20 minutes in front of the computer and some computer knowledge. This was when I drove 40,000 miles a year in residency. Ugh.

You can't do it like that anymore. It's a timed class. You have to sit through all five hours, and you have to click "continue" about every three minutes. About twice an hour, they ask you a personal question to make sure you didn't just pay some kid to take it for you.

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    You can't do it like that anymore. It's a timed class. You have to sit through all five hours, and you have to click "continue" about every three minutes. About twice an hour, they ask you a personal question to make sure you didn't just pay some kid to take it for you.

This.

There was a movie course, too...not sure if it's still offered. You had to watch the entire movie...randomly, through the movie, the guy would give answers. Sooooo boring.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, 7 days out of the 12-month thing... crap. So close.

The first thing I did while he was coming to my window was appologize for the wierd lane switch, and told him I didn't notice the line changes... He just said "That's why I pulled you over."

How much will this ticket be? Being a 4-point ticket, what's the dollar amount on that?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    This.

There was a movie course, too...not sure if it's still offered. You had to watch the entire movie...randomly, through the movie, the guy would give answers. Sooooo boring.
    holy jeez, did that movie suck. had to watch it about 12 years ago. would have been more enjoyable getting a fingernail removed with pliers.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

So you sure seem to know a lot of information about this process.....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So you sure seem to know a lot of information about this process.....

Yeah, I got a $10 parking ticket last year (parked 40 minutes in a 30-minute zone. I was putting stuff in my trunk to leave when the cop pulled up). I had no idea that it was a pointable offense at the time. Six months later, I got a ticket for doing 5-over (both tickets in Carmel, BTW). That was good for another two points. It was the first moving violation ticket I've gotten in twenty years. In fact, the parking ticket was the first ticket of any kind I'd gotten in twenty years. Imagine my surprise when my deferral request was denied because I was now considered an "habitual offender". Imagine my further astonishment when I received a letter from the court ordering me to take a state-mandated driver-safety program for getting two pointable offenses in a 12-month period or face losing my license.

I'll cop to both tickets. I did deserve them. That's not questionable. However, the fact that I haven't gotten any in 20 years is proof enough that I'm hardly a scofflaw behind the wheel. I don't speed, I use my signals, etc. It chapped me to have to waste five hours and sixty bucks taking that stupid class because a non-moving violation put two points on my license. The parking ticket fine was so low that it wasn't even listed. I had to call the Carmel city clerk to find out the fine and even she had to look it up.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've always been under the impression that non-moving violations weren't pointable or an issue to bother your insurance about? Of course it was CarMel I guess!:n00b:

I was told that if the ticket was issued by a parking enforcement officer (a meter maid or something), then it wasn't pointable. If it was by a LEO, then it was pointable. I wasn't aware that points could be awarded at the discretion of the city or that it depended on who wrote the ticket. As I said, I didn't even know it was pointable until my deferral was denied six month later (well AFTER I had paid the parking ticket fine).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hate to say this, but in the interest of getting out of tickets I will. I have sold my soul.
    I got out of my third moving violation in two years a couple months ago by handing over the pink license along with the drivers license.

Top Bottom