• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    iliterical IS Bats man.
    I haven't had a drink in mannnnnny years.
    I could almost go for one right now.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I guess I'm at a loss understanding all the gnashing of teeth.

Mark speeds and is pulled over.
    He admits his mistake.
    He takes a beating for it repeatedly anyway.

The cop disarms him without RS or any PC whatsoever.
    The cop coonfingers his gun.
    The cop then engages in an illegal search of his vehicle.
    The cop leaves Mark in an admittedly high crime area with no means to defend himself.
    Mark asks for advice.

VUPD is a cop that sees this type of situation in his job duties.
    VUPD has a unique perspective because of his position.
    VUPD offers advice to reduce this type of illegal police behavior.

Mark and VUPD are attempting to improve police training and knowledge of the law to help eliminate this type of illegal behavior.

So why is it that Mark and VUPD are the bad guys here? It is readily apparent to me that they are doing the community a service that we should be grateful for. Vilification of either is not only out of line, it's shortsighted and weak minded.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I guess I'm at a loss understanding all the gnashing of teeth.

Mark speeds and is pulled over.
    He admits his mistake.
    He takes a beating for it repeatedly anyway.

The cop disarms him without RS or any PC whatsoever.
    The cop coonfingers his gun.
    The cop then engages in an illegal search of his vehicle.
    The cop leaves Mark in an admittedly high crime area with no means to defend himself.
    Mark asks for advice.

VUPD is a cop that sees this type of situation in his job duties.
    VUPD has a unique perspective because of his position.
    VUPD offers advice to reduce this type of illegal police behavior.

Mark and VUPD are attempting to improve police training and knowledge of the law to help eliminate this type of illegal behavior.

So why is it that Mark and VUPD are the bad guys here? It is readily apparent to me that they are doing the community a service that we should be grateful for. Vilification of either is not only out of line, it's shortsighted and weak minded.

Bump Worthy Post

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's been almost 3 weeks since I was pulled over for speeding in Hammond. Just wanted to update the thread as to what I decided to do.

I posted this thread to get the advice from fellow gun owners, including police officers. I never intended this thread as a slam against the police officer who pulled me over. I appreciate the input from VUPDblue, and from other valued members.

I didn't file a complaint and I will not be filling a complaint. I've decided to save my energy for bigger fights. I've had a couple weeks to mull it over, and listen to all of you, and I just don't think much will be gained by filling a complaint. I talked with the other person who was pulled over along with me, who was also carrying. The officer did not approach his vehicle until he finished with me and I had left. The other guy told me later (I see him every morning at the train station) that the officer did NOT confiscate his pistol, although I initially thought that was the case. So maybe something transpired over the radio before the officer dealt with the other guy. I don't know. I do know that although the officer told me he was calling for another vehicle for back up, that other vehicle never came. So I have to think he reconsidered his approach during the stop. In any case, end of story, no complaint will be filed. To my fellow INGO members who happen to be LEOs, I apologize if this thread came off in any way as anti-cop. If it did, that was not my intent. Was just looking for input.

Last edited:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Terry, 392 U.S. at 21.*4
    There is no*reasonable suspicion merely by association.
    To be lawful, a*Terry*stop "must be supported at least by a
    reasonable and articulable suspicion that the person seized is
    engaged in criminal activity."*

Reid v. Georgia*, 448 U.S. 438,*440 (1980).*
    The level of suspicion must be a "particularized
    and objective basis for suspecting the particular person
    stopped of criminal activity."*

United States v. Griffin*, 589*F.3d 148, 152 (4th Cir. 2009).*
    As such, "the officer must be*able to point to specific and articulable*
    facts which, taken*together with rational inferences from those facts,*
    reasonably*warrant that intrusion."*tate v Washington:
    He possessed a valid permit, violated the Fourth Amendment when the officer lacked an articulable basis of concern for officer safety.

IC 35-47-14-3 Warrantless seizure of firearm from individual believed to be dangerous
    Indiana Code 35-47-14

No the officer did not have he right to disarm you without a warrant. IAAL, but I care y enough case law on my phone to make an officer who's enforcing opinion and not law a little nervous.

Don't file a complaint. Go see his boss. Send his boss an email and follow it up with a visit. Dont look or act like a yokel when you go. Have your homework already done with the case law and let the chief know you dont want the cop behind a desk but the whole dept retrained on how to handle a stop without violating your rights.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    State v Richardson:
    Once a valid LTCH is presented all questioning about the weapon should cease.

State v Washington:
    He possessed a valid permit, violated the Fourth Amendment when the officer lacked an articulable basis of concern for officer safety.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    It's been almost 3 weeks since I was pulled over for speeding in Hammond. Just wanted to update the thread as to what I decided to do.

I posted this thread to get the advice from fellow gun owners, including police officers. I never intended this thread as a slam against the police officer who pulled me over. I appreciate the input from VUPDblue, and from other valued members.

I didn't file a complaint and I will not be filling a complaint. I've decided to save my energy for bigger fights. I've had a couple weeks to mull it over, and listen to all of you, and I just don't think much will be gained by filling a complaint. I talked with the other person who was pulled over along with me, who was also carrying. The officer did not approach his vehicle until he finished with me and I had left. The other guy told me later (I see him every morning at the train station) that the officer did NOT confiscate his pistol, although I initially thought that was the case. So maybe something transpired over the radio before the officer dealt with the other guy. I don't know. I do know that although the officer told me he was calling for another vehicle for back up, that other vehicle never came. So I have to think he reconsidered his approach during the stop. In any case, end of story, no complaint will be filed. To my fellow INGO members who happen to be LEOs, I apologize if this thread came off in any way as anti-cop. If it did, that was not my intent. Was just looking for input.

Got it...you came here to **** and moan because you wont stand up for yourself. You had a chance to possibly prevent this officer/department from doing this ILLEGAL behavior to someone else and chose to do nothing....got it. :scratch:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How do you minimize getting pulled over for speeding? Don't say just don't speed. You said minimize getting pulled over for speeding. :):

1) don't speed.
    2) if speeding, don't be the fastest one. trail far enough behind someone else speeding, that a radar gun will catch them, and you'll catch the radar scatter, warning you.
    3) radar detector, and know it's advantages and limitations. Maybe know a little bit about radio wave propagation with relation to terrain.
    4) swivel. Keep an eye 360 degrees.
    5) if everyone else all of a sudden slows, they may be doing it for a reason.
    6) that guy coming up your tailpipe, he may be a cop.
    7) be aware of places speedtraps tend to be in your area.
    8) don't speed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Got it...you came here to **** and moan because you wont stand up for yourself. You had a chance to possibly prevent this officer/department from doing this ILLEGAL behavior to someone else and chose to do nothing....got it. :scratch:

Maybe.
    Or maybe he just decided it was more effort than he was willing to put in.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    1) don't speed.
    2) if speeding, don't be the fastest one. trail far enough behind someone else speeding, that a radar gun will catch them, and you'll catch the radar scatter, warning you.
    3) radar detector, and know it's advantages and limitations. Maybe know a little bit about radio wave propagation with relation to terrain.
    8) don't speed.

I told you not to say number 1 or 8. Are we married?

The rest I agree with. :lmfao:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    1) don't speed.
    8) don't speed.

Next time, you drive! I'll take a nap. :laugh:

Top Bottom